I need help being healthy and gluten free!

I've suffered with digestive issue's for years now, only about 2 and 1/2 years ago I found out it's because I'm celiac....

I've been trying to eat a balanced diet (what ever that is)

But I find I've managed to put on some yucky extra weight, plus I'm getting acne which isn't nice
and I have dark circles around my eyes which I cant seem to kick (I work late nights so I have bee partly putting it down to that)

But I feel like I'm lacking proper nutrition in my diet.

Can anyone give me some tips please on how to eat a diet that is rich in nurition AND gluten free...I'm failing I think....I'm not picky I eat pretty much anything. Only things I don't like is Celery and Corn (Dont care if it's a product containing corn, but I dont like fresh corn or canned corn)

Replies

• amf0324
    amf0324 Posts: 46 Member
    You can eat healthfully and be gluten free -- it's quite easy. In fact, it's easier because you can't binge on the bread baskets when you go out to dinner!

Really... it's as simple as making smart food choices, and not eating things that have gluten in them.
  • AndreaWhite611
    AndreaWhite611 Posts: 54 Member
    Fellow celiac with an open diary. Although last 4-5 days have been anything but healthy. Feel free to friend me :)
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
  • ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    I would seek out some of the celiac forums (not on myfitnesspal). I also have celiac disease and I have seen lots of weird information on this particular forum about it. Go to the experts. When I was first diagnosed (by an actual doctor - not self diagnosed like the current trend seems to be) I was on a lot of those forums. Just google it. You will find some. I haven't been on any of them in a long time.
  • ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    AND talk to your doctor and make sure you are going in for your check ups and blood tests. Your doctor can tell you what you are deficient in and what to eat.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    I eat fruit, veggies and lean meats. Or try too. I limit bread, even gluten free ones. My diary is open. Not the best example at times. I also try to eat out of Runners world cook book, which you can make all of them gluten free. Lots of fresh veggies.

My husband had dark circles caused by allergies. He found a cream by La therapie that works. Its revitalizing eye mask. Your local skin clinic may have something similar.
  • amf0324 wrote: »
    You can eat healthfully and be gluten free -- it's quite easy. In fact, it's easier because you can't binge on the bread baskets when you go out to dinner!

Really... it's as simple as making smart food choices, and not eating things that have gluten in them.
    I echo this. I've noticed the fact that I'm GF naturally steers me toward a lot of veggies and lean meats. GF bread is pretty good but who wants to spend $7 a loaf!