PMS Anxiety

Options
magglett
magglett Posts: 2,000
Hi all: I'm hoping to get a little advice. I was one of the lucky ones who didn't really get PMS symptoms much ... but now ... that I'm getting up there in age ... and the whole cycle thing should be coming to an end, I find that for about a week before my period, EVERYTHING IS A BIG DEAL!! I hate it, I worry about nothing "what if what if" and I cry all of a sudden. I'm stressed and scared and take things to heart. I jump at every little sound and my heart will beat big time. What the heck is with that??? Has anyone else found this affecting them? Is there anything I can do about it?

Replies

• mamaofapreemie
    Options
    I'm right there with you hun. Before I start I always swell up too big time. Then when I start I swell up more. After all that I gain a lil' back and seems like I have to start all over again. Just keep pushin it you will over come it. I'm there for you :)
  • cymills
    cymills Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I trust you will not take this to heart - or cry - but you asked what you could do.
    Seek professional assistance. ...your doctor may be a good start. There is no need to stree and/or fret when you can get assitance.
    Asking for help is not a sign of weakness- it is a sign of strength!:bigsmile:
  • jheller
    jheller Posts: 194
    Options
    Yes. Mid-40's and suddenly I turn into super B about 10 days before hand. I read that St John's wort and increasing your magnesium helps. I added magnesium to my daily vitamin intake and usually take some St John's wort before I leave work to go home ;-) I find it helps.

Exercise helps too - helps you redirect your emotions. I don't get worried but angry. Everything is a big deal like you say but I don't cry - I yell and and say nasty things. And a lot of times I didn't realize I'm in this cycle until I'm almost out of it. Now that I'm aware of it I can control it a bit more. Maybe now that you know whats happening you can figure out a way to control it.

Good luck and hang in there!!

Jessica
  • squoozyq
    squoozyq Posts: 305
    Options
    After 5 kids, I wish they could rip out my uterus and ovaries and get rid of all of the crap they cause! I feel the EXACT same way. I get anxious, irritable, feel rage sometimes.....feel like eating, like loafing in front of the tv and crying. Strange thing is, exercise helps. So does medication, but that's another story.
    It will get better, you will learn to manage....I promise.
    Good luck,
    Suz
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Yep me too, and I often lose a nights sleep, stressing over some catastrophe or other that miraculously melts away when I start the following day......
    I know this
    HOWEVER each month whilst the catastrophe is occuring I am gripped in the midst of the angst and cannot be convinced that it is 'the time on the month' :huh: , wish I could stop it but dont think i can.....am certain my partner would quite like it to end too :explode: no answers here I am afraid just one of those quaint little benefits of being a woman I guess! Maybe chocolate holds the answer?????? doh! cant say that on here! lol!::laugh:
  • Ashia1317
    Ashia1317 Posts: 415
    Options
    I can be a very hyper person - so add that to PMS and dear LORD! No one wants to be around me. In fact, the girls at work here know when and they put up the "red" tape. It's actually embarrassing. But as many others, I find exercising helps me as well. It's a temporary fix to my day, but it lets me channel my stress, anger, emotions for a little while into something good for myself than something mean or emotional TO someone else.

Meditation and yoga before bed. Or even a time out at work. I know I'm getting worked up, so I'll take a good 5 min break to "detox" my stress - concentrate on my breathing. Or get up for a tiny walk around the office. Just to get me out of my chair.

Best advice for the crying - wait til you get home and just let it out. Sometimes it feels a lot better in the end to have a good cry by yourself than to suppress it.
  • maynard46
    maynard46 Posts: 134
    Options
    Im sorry to hear you are going through this. You were very lucky to have some good years without PMS. I am actually alittle better now in my mid 40's. Its still not fun though. If its not the moodiness, its the swelling or the muscle tightness. I swear my hearing amplifies too! Just my husband chewing at the dinner table annoyes me! (Don't laugh) Anyway, a couple little things that help me. Watch the caffeine, watch the salt and if you can go for a walk when you start feeling anxious or irritable. :grumble:

I just read the post from jheller and I agree with her. If your aware of it you can control it better. Also going to try the magnesium.

Hope it help alittle. Good luck!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Hi all: I'm hoping to get a little advice. I was one of the lucky ones who didn't really get PMS symptoms much ... but now ... that I'm getting up there in age ... and the whole cycle thing should be coming to an end, I find that for about a week before my period, EVERYTHING IS A BIG DEAL!! I hate it, I worry about nothing "what if what if" and I cry all of a sudden. I'm stressed and scared and take things to heart. I jump at every little sound and my heart will beat big time. What the heck is with that??? Has anyone else found this affecting them? Is there anything I can do about it?
    Welcome my world! I'm not menopausal but I do have the 'week before' ovul/period crying, moody, nothing will ever be right in the world thoughts. It's very over powering, It's been with me for some years now. I finally pinned it down to hormonal shifts twice a month.

I have no clue how to stop it or tone it down. It hits me in waves and I never know when it's coming or going, in it right and don't even know where I am in my cycle. It's so vary different than simply feeling down, or sad. So much more more powerful and feels as if I have no control, most anything can set me off so I stay away from ppl and only set myself off. lol

Best of luck to you I do hope it eases us for any of us that deal with this craziness!
    Becca
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    Im sorry to hear you are going through this. You were very lucky to have some good years without PMS. I am actually alittle better now in my mid 40's. Its still not fun though. If its not the moodiness, its the swelling or the muscle tightness. I swear my hearing amplifies too! Just my husband chewing at the dinner table annoyes me! (Don't laugh) Anyway, a couple little things that help me. Watch the caffeine, watch the salt and if you can go for a walk when you start feeling anxious or irritable. :grumble:

I just read the post from jheller and I agree with her. If your aware of it you can control it better. Also going to try the magnesium.

OMG, your hearing?? Mine too, in fact ALL my senses are heightened, I've never heard anyone share of it, YAY once again not alone.

Need to run to a doc appt., can't wait to get back to read how I'm not crazy after all. lol
    So you glad you posted as well,
    Becca
  • magglett
    Options

OMG, your hearing?? Mine too, in fact ALL my senses are heightened, I've never heard anyone share of it, YAY once again not alone.

Need to run to a doc appt., can't wait to get back to read how I'm not crazy after all. lol
    So you glad you posted as well,
    Becca

Thanks everyone ... I'm glad I'm not alone ... and yes yes yes ... AMPLIPHIED HEARING ... it sucks that week as well. LOL about the hubby chewing ... sorry didn't mean to laugh ... but I can so relate to that. My poor hubby :laugh:
  • Supermel
    Supermel Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I am mid 30's and am already seeing some of these s ymptoms at that time of the month. I also bloat at ovulation, so weird. Anyway, i find that too much caffeine or aspartame can bother me. I've cut out all aspartame (or as much as i obviously can). I was drinking store brand diet pop, and would get soooo anxious and realized i was reacting to something in the pop. When cutting cold turkey i actually had withdrawal symptoms. THat helped a lot. I can drink name brand diet pop in moderation (3 or 4 a week) without issue. Exercise and cutting sugar help my moods and anxious feels a lot.

For hormonal 'attacks' i also highly reccomend the Bach line of homeopathics. I especially like something called rescue remedy that i can find in the natural aisle of my supermarket. Few drops on the tongue, repeated every 15 minutes can stop the whole getting hot, flash, tha tis usually followed by tears. Works wonders in my children as well and was especially helpful post pardum. Obviously you can check with your dr or the homepathic pharmacists etc about interactions with other drugs.

Also, something i may consider down the road, is there are anxiety meds you can take a small piece of as needed, or a small amount all the time to help 'even you out' and there are some good mood levelers that can help that the dr can perscribe if you notice its getting very severe. Good luck~
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    bump
  • Vallandingham
    Vallandingham Posts: 2,177
    Options
    My wife has a coffee cup that says "PMS -- Putting Up with Men's *kitten*"
  • magglett
    Options
    My wife has a coffee cup that says "PMS -- Putting Up with Men's *kitten*"