What are your macros?

Options
What are your macro goals? I'm asking mostly out of curiously for data on MFP. Hoping this thread won't turn into judgement and unsolicited advice, though I'm interested to know how people chose their percentages!

Mine are carbs 40/fat 30/protein 30

Replies

• tdoug777
    Options
    I don't ever rely on percentages. I go by the numbers themselves.
  • transientcanuck
    transientcanuck Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    If my daily calorie intake can reflect 30/30/40 carbs/fat/protein, then it's a good day. But I have found 30/40/30 far easier to maintain.
  • slicknickk
    slicknickk Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    30 carbs / 40 protein / 30 fat

Im only going through this ratio as advised by ny nutritionist lol

Been on it for close to 4 weeks and lost 4kg. I want to lose more each week though
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    45/30/25. I'm fine if I get close to/over 100 grams of protein.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    50/25/25 carbs/fat/protein for me :)
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Percentages aren't really a good way to gauge macros IMO (10% of 1000 calories is totally different to 10% of 3000) But for info mine are 60/25/15 (carbs/fat/protein). I'm a runner training for an ultra so keeping my carbs at that level with the amount of calories I consume 15% protein gives plenty of protein. I don't obsess over them they are a rough guide. As long as I'm getting sufficient protein for recovery and enough carbs for energy it all falls into place. I normally only have a look at them once a week and just quickly review the week.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    protein - c. 135g (minimum)
    fat - c. 65g (minmum)
    carbs - whatever

Percentage ratios don't make a lot of sense to me.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Ratios can be a good place to start and since that's how you have to base your MFP settings it's not a bad idea to understand the relationship. I have mine set to 40/30/30. I rarely hit all my macros perfectly, but I shoot for it. If you have the info to do the math, figure .8-1g protein per pound of lean mass and .35 grams of fat per pound of body weight, then do the math and come up with the percentage that's close to set your MFP goals. That's what I did anyway. Oh, yeah, protein and fat numbers "should" be minimums you aim for and once those are met fill in the rest of your calories however you wish. With all that said, if weight loss is you immediate goal, don't agonize over macros, focus on calories. That's my .02.
  • adnaram
    adnaram Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    30/35/35
  • turkeytrotter
    turkeytrotter Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I agree with prattiger65. That is how I determined mine too, based on books I've read on my interests. I am training for a sport and not focused on weight loss though. My goal is to build muscle and maintain it. I'd expect it to be different based on individual goals.
  • michele4065
    Options
    I only recently started tracking macros. Mine are prot/carb/fat 45/30/25. These are based on about 1500 cal/day for low activity days. Calories go up to about 1700 for slightly busier/more active days.
  • lpendleton58
    lpendleton58 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Protein - 200g minimum
    Fat - 60g max (15-20%)
    Carbs - 325g minimum

These all change when I re-evaluate my weight and bf% monthly.
  • af_wife2004
    af_wife2004 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm currently at 1710 calories, 45% carbs (192g), 30% fat (107g) and 25% protein (57g). I started at 50% carbs and 25% fat/protein and recently switched it to the new numbers. My next goal will be 40% carbs 30% fat/protein.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Mine are carbs 40/fat 30/protein 30

Mine are carbs 45/fat 38/protein 17, or
    Protein - 70 g minimum
    Fat - 70 g minimum
    Carbs - whatever

I've recently upped calories after entering maintenance, and I decided to let protein and fat goals remain the same.
  • prattiger65
    Options
    Pretty obvious that different people have different goals and as such, one needs to really understand what their own goals are and how to achieve them. In my experience, the only way to do that is to research and learn, get info from multiple sources so as not to fall victim to one agenda or another. With that said, I don't think the advice of a 30/30/40 or a 40/30/30 split is bad advice to a beginner.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I try to get around 0.8 - 1 gram of protein per Lb of LBM (115g - 150g) and 50 - 70 grams of dietary fat and round out the rest with carbs. I eat higher carbs on big ride days and higher protein on lifting days.

I basically look at my macros as a way to balance my diet out in RE to basic nutritional needs and fitness performance...I try to be somewhere in the neighborhood and don't worry too much if I'm bang on (hell, I don't even log...just know from experience about where I'm at)...IMO, people vacillate over their macros way too much...sometimes it's almost comical.
  • jenny3008
    jenny3008 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    .8-1g protein per pound of lean mass and .35 grams of fat per pound of body weight, then do the math and come up with the percentage that's close to set your MFP goals. That's what I did anyway. Oh, yeah, protein and fat numbers "should" be minimums you aim for and once those are met fill in the rest of your calories however you wish.

How do you work out your lean body mass? I have electronic scales that measure body fat but they lie. I know this because I can't possibly have lost 10kg in weight, physically be much stronger, actually be able to see muscle definition where there was podge before and have gained 2% body fat.

I don't want to be precious about the percentage macros but I'd like to have my protein about 30% ... this is based on nothing other than it seems to be a good number I don't know how to figure out what is a good macro breakdown
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    currently training days 30 P, 50 C, 20 F non training 40 P, 30 C, 30 F. Though I am bulking now.
  • prattiger65
    Options
    jenny3008 wrote: »
    .8-1g protein per pound of lean mass and .35 grams of fat per pound of body weight, then do the math and come up with the percentage that's close to set your MFP goals. That's what I did anyway. Oh, yeah, protein and fat numbers "should" be minimums you aim for and once those are met fill in the rest of your calories however you wish.

How do you work out your lean body mass? I have electronic scales that measure body fat but they lie. I know this because I can't possibly have lost 10kg in weight, physically be much stronger, actually be able to see muscle definition where there was podge before and have gained 2% body fat.

I don't want to be precious about the percentage macros but I'd like to have my protein about 30% ... this is based on nothing other than it seems to be a good number I don't know how to figure out what is a good macro breakdown

This is precisely what I mean about having the info. I use caliper skinfold to measure mine, and those are inaccurate also. Honestly, if I were you, I would use the number the scale gave me and figure my LBM from that. I also agree that those numbers sound wonky. You might also use the BF% picture comparisons, those will get you close too. This is also why I say that a % for macros isn't necessarily a bad thing.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    My macros are about 50-55% carbs, 30-35% fat, and 15% protein.