Tired of being skinny fat.

Options
I know there's a lot of topics about skinny fat, but I couldn't fins answer to my questions. It's going to sound like a really stupid question, but how long would it take one to lose the skinny fat? I am 5ft9 and I weigh in at 132 lbs (175 cm and 60 kg) and I have been working out for five months now (doing c25k, and a strength programme + eating at a 'loose 0.5 lbs/week thing') now and I see no result what so ever. At first I ate a 500 kcal deficit but then I was told that that was wroing and I wouldn't loose weight and so on, so i had to up it a bit. Anyhow, it's getting really frustrated and I feel like giving up because of it. Anyone who has a skinny fat progress story to share and make me a little bit more hopeful? Or just tell me what I'm doing wrong because I am really tired of feeling like crap because of my body. Thanks guys.

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    It took me almost a year to go from this
    224aaf266778113e65a6549a4b7ee688_zps6b81e976.jpg
    to this
    4e70e88ad4f8334ba8235eb98f8f03c8_zps394df6bb.jpg
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    6 months to go from this:

IMG_20121116_085359_zpsab2ed6e5.jpg

to this:

IMG_20130414_202407_zps881fec5f.jpg

Lift heavy. Be consistent.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    From what you are saying, it sounds like you are at somewhat of a deficit, but I don't want to assume that. Are you gaining/losing weight? If you want to get away from a bony look, you'll want to go for muscle strengthening. It's good that you are incorporating strength training already because I believe that will be a key part in your goal. Be patient.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You can't eat at a deficit and gain any amount of muscle. You have to feed the muscle or you'll just keep getting thinner and bonier. If you're 5'9" and 132 lbs you don't need to be losing anything!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,996 Member
    Options
    My $0.02:

1. you don't need to eat in a calorie deficit unless you need to lose body fat - do you need to lose body fat?
    2. you need to do heavy-lifting if you want your shape to change - do you want your shape to change?

I'm 5'8.5", been lifting heavy free weights for nearly 18 months, now, have gone from skinny-fat (meaning: I looked AWESOME in clothes, but not that good naked) to skinny-strong (meaning: I'm looking SUPER awesome in clothes and looking MUCH better naked).

It can be done. I had to dump most of my cardio to make the necessary time for strength-training....but, after 25+ years as a cardio-gym-rat, which only GOT me "skinny-fat", I was prepared to try something different.
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options

to this:

personnally...I think you look much nicer in the first pic...if that is "skinny fat"....bring it on!!!!
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options

to this:

personnally...I think you look much nicer in the first pic...if that is "skinny fat"....bring it on!!!!
    what happened tonthe nice first pic???
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

Thanks. While I am not offended, I am curious as to why you are posting this. This is not the purpose of the thread, nor are your other comments against women who are looking to recomp their bf%.

I went from 24% bf to approximately 18%, which should satisfy the OPs query.

ETA, of and OP- I ate at maintenance which was about 2k per day. I am 140 and 5'8". Same weight in both pics.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

so who says you look better now?

If she thinks she looks better, that's what matters. Not random internet lady.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Skinny fat is for the birds!! I used to weigh 105 pounds and I was all bones and over 20% body fat, saggy skin and cellulite.

Now I'm 112 pounds and 18% body fat, look better in a bikini, and my cellulite is gone...not to mention I probably eat 1000 calories more a day than I used to.

I love weight lifting!!!
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    You can't eat at a deficit and gain any amount of muscle. You have to feed the muscle or you'll just keep getting thinner and bonier. If you're 5'9" and 132 lbs you don't need to be losing anything!

This^

+ less cardio, more heavy lifting.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options

to this:

Wow! Jealous much?!!!
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options

Thanks. While I am not offended, I am curious as to why you are posting this. This is not the purpose of the thread, nor are your other comments against women who are looking to recomp their bf%.

I went from 24% bf to approximately 18%, which should satisfy the OPs query.

ETA, of and OP- I ate at maintenance which was about 2k per day. I am 140 and 5'8". Same weight in both pics.

I am glad you aren't offended! I WAS!!! Ahhh! I worked HARD to go from skinny to muscles.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I hope i'm not derailing this thread by saying this, but sometimes I dislike the term "skinny fat" because I think it can really feed into people's ED issues... they focus on "fat" and think "I need to eat less and run more!" when really it's not that their bf% is high because they have oh so much fat. Their bf% is high because they have oh so little LBM. The key is to build LBM.

And the only way to build LBM is to eat enough to build LBM and do resistance training.

Just a thought.
  • mamas0811
    mamas0811 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I think you look great in both pictures! Keep up the great work! :)
  • mamas0811
    mamas0811 Posts: 97 Member
    Options

to this:

I think you look great in both pictures!!! Keep up the Great Work!!!
  • Penguino_1005
    Options
    I think the muscular girls look great! I was toned the way the 6 month change person was when I swam competitively. You can try swimming if you want some muscle and toning without the bulk from heavy lifting I would try swimming.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options

i think you need to have your eyes checked.

jealous people always saying mean things. someone puts that much hard work into something...if you dont like it ...SAY NOTHING!

to the person who this insenstive person had negative comments for... you look great...dont let jealous comments affect you.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options

so who says you look better now?

She just did. She said she looks better now. What you personally like is irrelevant to her or the OP. And on threads where people post their progress "you looked better before" is one of the rudest things anyone could say.
  • kcritter77
    kcritter77 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Are you kidding me right now??? I think she looks fantastic in both pics, and understand she is showing the OP how long and what she did to build muscle and lose body fat. No reason to say something negative about how someone looks. Use your manners!!

I'll take those guns any day!!!!
    (before or after)!

to this:

personnally...I think you look much nicer in the first pic...if that is "skinny fat"....bring it on