CRaZieST question I will ever ask . . . How do you eat . . .

Options
Pomegranates?

I see them at the store. I love pomegranate flavor stuff - yogurt, etc. But I'm a little intimated on the raw fruit itself.

Replies

• nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    I eat it with seeds and all...they taste like cherry jolly rancher candies
  • cln714
    cln714 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    You just scoop out the seed and eat them. Go ahead and try it. They are very good!
  • SnuggleBunny
    Options
    I knew you were going to say Pomegranates. lol. The one time I tried it was to much work to peel and eat all those tiny little seeds.
  • becky123456
    becky123456 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Yes, it makes a little bit of a mess but it's worth it. Love 'em!
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you asked because I've been wondering too! :) I don't know that I've ever eaten one but it seems intimidating!
  • bluemountain2185
    Options
    I cover my eyes with them at night before sleeping - great for the wrinkles and dark circles. You should try it.
  • princessorchid
    princessorchid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Cut the fruit in Half then bang the shell (?) with a wooden spoon over a bowl. The seeds should fall out and they're what you eat.
  • aesquivel47
    aesquivel47 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Peel the tough outer cover (obviously) and gently pull the crimson seed pods away from the whitish interior pith. The pith is bitter. The crimson seeds are fragile but once you pull them away you can eat them whole, or gently break them up into individual seeds and sprinkle them over salads and other dishes like yogurt, stuffed peppers etc. What you mainly get is a small wallop of juice (and flavor) in each seed. You can either eat the remaining seed itself or spit it out. Enjoy!
  • chronosfire
    Options
    You can also buy the seeds on their own from places like Costco. That's what I do!
  • missouri_rain
    missouri_rain Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I peel them into a bowl of cold water, all the yucky stuff will float, get rid of that and then just eat the seeds, pretty good stuff
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Pomegranates?

I see them at the store. I love pomegranate flavor stuff - yogurt, etc. But I'm a little intimated on the raw fruit itself.
    Personally I recommend eating them outside!:laugh: Later (and it was NOT the same day:blushing: ) I noticed all sorts of spots near the table on the white walls, they really shoot juice so consider yourself warned.

I cut them in half and eat them the same as those that shared below, I tried one once, it was a tremendous amount of work for what I got out of it. Not sure I would try one again. Maybe in a swimming pool where it didn't matter if I got juice stains all over me and everything around me?:tongue::laugh:

Someone told me not to eat the seeds but all I saw was seeds, so I was confused, seems like the folks below say eat the seeds. I'd at least try one if you already bought it, do let us know your experience!:smokin:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I peel them into a bowl of cold water, all the yucky stuff will float, get rid of that and then just eat the seeds, pretty good stuff
    awwwwwww the secrets to eating them are now coming out!! :glasses: :laugh:
  • Ashia1317
    Ashia1317 Posts: 415
    Options
    Thanks All!!! I think I'm going to add a few to my grocery list!! :tongue:
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options

I also rinse them in a sieve...reduces stickiness
  • jhollyw00d
    jhollyw00d Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Cut the pomegranite into quarters and soak the quarters in a bowl of cold water for 20 minutes. This makes that tough outer shell a little bit more pliable. Peel back the outer shell over the bowl of water, the membrane should easily separate and float in the water if you drop it in. Then, discard the shell and membrane and dump the bowl (seeds, water and all!) into a collander over the drain. Finally, enjoy the seeds! :love: