Butter Alternatives?

Options
I am using salted and unsalted butter now as flavor for things. I have cut back severely on the amount I use now. I cook with the unsalted or extra virgin olive oil, but use salted on oatmeal, toast etc. I looked at butter alternatives but they all have additives and ingredients I can't pronounce as well as increased sodium. Any suggestions on flavorful things I can use in place of the pat of butter for flavor? I am watching my sodium at this time and it is very hard to find things lower in sodium! It has been very eye opening since I started MFP January 1!! Thank you in advance!!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Very difficult to give advice unless we know why you want to stop eating butter.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    You could put a tablespoon of a nut butter (peanut, almonds, cashew) on your toast or even in your oats. I do that.

If you like butter though, enjoy it. I don't eat butter because I'm vegan, and there is no good replacement for it. Earth balance comes close, but it's not butter.

It will help you meet your fat macro for the day, and taste good while doing it.
  • ecc79
    ecc79 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Eat the butter, just less of it.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Use butter unsalted, and add a lot of herbs. If you are trying to lower your sodium for health reasons I suggest going cold turkey - lower the amount of salt you use abruptly. Things will feel tasteless for about a week or so, but after that you get used to it and don't miss it, and if things have more salt than you'd want they will taste too salty to you by default, helping you decide if you want to eat that item or not.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I'd stick with butter or ghee.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    butter alternative?

butter or ghee.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    tat2cookie wrote: »
    I'd stick with butter or ghee.

the-end-1.jpg
  • Haltermania
    Haltermania Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2946617/Butter-ISN-T-bad-Major-study-says-80s-advice-dairy-fats-flawed.html
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    just because you cant pronounce it, doesnt mean its bad for you. If you want to eat less calories, try using less of what you already use, or trying a reduced calorie spread.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Parkaaaaaay....BUTTER!
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Butter alternatives:

Ghee
    More butter

Some people like to use coconut oil in place of butter. Which is cool if you like the taste. Just beware the cray-cray health claims people make, because it's nonsense.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I believe sodium is OP's issues, where she feels salted butter is taking her over her sodium limit since, aside from frying, she is used to consuming it salted.
  • CampKelly
    CampKelly Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I enjoy Brummell yogurt butter.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I replace butter as a spread with hummus frequently. Instead of having butter on toast or a baked potato, I'll spread on 2 tbs of hummus for 60 calories. I also use hummus on sandwiches in place of mayo.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I believe sodium is OP's issues, where she feels salted butter is taking her over her sodium limit since, aside from frying, she is used to consuming it salted.

then switch to unsalted, which is generally a fresher product.
  • kcmccormack
    kcmccormack Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    AVACADO
    I use mashed avacado instead of butter in baking, instead of mayo in everything. You can flavor it with savory or sweet ingredients. It is already very buttery in texture and isn't super flavorful on its own, so I like using it for alot. Even creamy pasta sauces. Super dense in nutrition too.
  • superexcellently
    superexcellently Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Virgin Coconut Oil, tastes like butter with a bit of coconuttyness. Delish!
  • roxielu0422
    roxielu0422 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    use the real stuff!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I put berries in my oatmeal, maybe a banana, often protein powder too or, if not, milk. Never thought about putting butter in it, but I don't see why that wouldn't be fine. Why do you want to stop--just the calories or something else?

I agree with using unsalted. I always have and with cooking, even if you don't care about sodium, it's best to add the salt yourself so you control the amount.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    if you dont want your allotment of butter can i have it?