is my cal deficit good enough?

Hi I'd like to have advise on my current calorie deficit. I am trying to lose mainly my gut. Here are my mfp seetings:

current weight: 205
height: 6 foot 2
daily calorie goal: 1800
I walk to work for a total of around 60 minutes of pretty fast walk, which would burn 300ish cals
I do a kettlebell program (steve cotter DVD) on mondays(upper body),tuesdays(lower body), thursdays (upper body) and fridays (lower body), I think this burns 250ish cals

So on days that I work out (mon,tues,thu,fri) I eat 1800 cals + 550 cals = 2350 cals.

On wen, I will just walk to work so I eat 1800cals + 300 = 2100cals

And when I dont work out like sat or sun, I will eat 1800.

I'm worrried that my cal deficit is not big enough, any advise?

Thanks

Replies

• IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Just make sure you are not overestimating your calorie burns, and are logging, weighing, measuring, everything. Most people here say to eat back maybe 50-75% of your exercise calories.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    edited February 2015
    Run it for a few weeks and get an average of weight loss per week. If you are between .5-1% of bodyweight loss per week, then you are golden. If you lose too much (again on average), then add a little...not losing enough, subtract a little. You don't have to have everything dialed in perfect on day 1 or week 1 mind you. Patience and consistency is key.
  • Just make sure you are not overestimating your calorie burns, and are logging, weighing, measuring, everything. Most people here say to eat back maybe 50-75% of your exercise calories.

ok I see, 300 looks like a lot for the 1 hour walk, but Im really not sure how much im burning for that or the kettlebell working, I'll prob lower those indeed!

thanks
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    cajuntank wrote: »
    Run it for a few weeks and get an average of weight loss per week. If you are between .5-1% of bodyweight loss per week, then you are golden. If you lose too much (again on average), then add a little...not losing enough, subtract a little. You don't have to have everything dialed in perfect on day 1 or week 1 mind you. Patience and consistency is key.

^Yep
  • cajuntank wrote: »

I've been pretty much on the same plan for the past month but was at 1500cals, and only added 250 cals of exercices on mon,tues,thu and fri and felt like I needed to eat a bit more ;)

I dont mind if it takes a bit longer to lose weight. I guess I will see as long as I dont gain weight I guess I'll be happy.

Thanks

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    300 calories for a three mile walk isn't farfetched.