Fiber

Options
What are some good whole foood sources of fiber? I eat a lot of vegetables, but apparently not enough. Staying under 1240 calories a day, so hoping for low calorie options! Thanks!

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Grains are good sources of fiber. Nuts and seeds also, to varying degrees. Pistachios are pretty good. Chia seeds are high in fiber.
  • nataliebordeauxx
    nataliebordeauxx Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    All the beans and all the peas! There are SO MANY more high fiber options, but those are my go-tos.

http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/063008p28.shtml
  • KrunchyMama
    KrunchyMama Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Awesome thanks. I've been avoiding nuts and beans because they have so many calories! I do have peas and chia seeds at home, so I will try them. I have rice every now and then, but am trying to avoid pretty much all other grains because of the calories also
  • DustoniousMonk
    DustoniousMonk Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    High-fiber cereal in the morning helps me a lot when I was trying to figure it out. Fiber supplement (powder that goes in water) if I feel like I'm deficient.
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Flax and chia seeds are fantastic sources of fiber, they also contain protein and healthy fats. I have at least a tbsp every day - I usually mix it into yogurt or oatmeal.
  • molissep
    molissep Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Quest bars have 17g of fiber and I east La Tortilla Factory low carb high fiber wraps...they have about 12g and chia seeds in my yogurt. If I eat all 3 in the same day that more than makes up for my requirements!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    as far as whole food goes....

i like to eat 2 whole pieces of fiber one bread.
    its a great vehicle for the peanut butter and helps me hit my fiber goal (though i think its been awhile since thats actually happened. but i poop ok, so i think im safe).
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    raspberries have a lot of fiber and are pretty low cal (9 grams of fiber and 80 calories in 3/4 cup). I buy the frozen ones.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Beans have a ton. I think I'm going to start adding beans into my lunches... I am also trying to get more fiber. I also bought some chia seeds today so I'll give those a try.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm always quite high on fiber when I have beans. (I keep meaning to start eating them more often.)
  • ohhmaryline
    Options
    All Bran buds are quite amazing. 70 calories for 1/3 cup, with 11 g fiber. They don't taste so great (not bad either), but the serving is quite small and mix well with greek yogurt and fruit / unsweeted applesauce. I also love chia seeds mixed in a smoothie, but to get 11 g fiber you'd need to eat 1 ounce which is around 135 calories.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    someone on here was talking about eating chili and how high in fiber it is. I had fiber envy, so I made some vegetarian chili I found on allrecipes.com this weekend. OMG, so good with cheddar cheese on top. Beans aren't really high in calories. Not sure what you mean. It has 10 grams of fiber and 157 calories, prior to the cheddar cheese. The cheddar cheese ups it by 100 calories to 257, but you could leave that out even though it makes it awesome, but still at 257 calories, it's not high.

I also mix chia seeds in yogurt and raspberries as someone else mentioned is really high in fiber.

• gaurdgoose
    gaurdgoose Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I add lentils and Flax and Chia into my Chili when I cook it for extra thickness and fiber