What do I eat for my birthday dinner

Options
So I am having my 34th birthday dinner with my family this weekend and they are bugging me on what they want them to make for me. I am starting to finally make (slow) and steady progress and do not want to derail myself. I am not a big meat eater, but need to increase my protein intake, especially if I want a small birthday dessert. Any suggestions on what to cook? Please don't say, it is your birthday, enjoy. I have been working so hard, I just want to stay on track.

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Steak.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    What meat do you like? Having a nice cut of meat would give you the protein you are looking for and give you lots of room for dessert.
  • JSurita2
    JSurita2 Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I was going to say nothing has calories on your birthday but you're right, if you've worked hard and want to stay on track then do that. Whatever you eat, just fit it into your day and enjoy. As far as what to actually eat, it all depends on what you like. If you eat extra then get some more activity/exercise in. Hope you have a happy birthday.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Do you like seafood? Shrimp is pretty low calorie.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I will say eat what you want and enjoy. If what you want is to stay within your calorie limit, then that's what you should do, while enjoying dinner.

Grilled salmon, roast chicken or turkey, are lovely low calorie protein sources IMO. Some roasted veggies on the side. Or a shrimp stir fry. Boneless skinless chicken breast smothered in mushroom gravy. Grilled chicken or shrimp salad. A black and blue salad (blackened lean steak and blue cheese crumbles over greens).

Those are a few choices I might make. Choose something you really enjoy that fits your goals and enjoy! Happy Birthday.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Is there anything lower calorie you have been wanting to try but avoided because of budget? Personally I'd be all over a nice seafood selection.

Maybe find a different activity instead of dinner. Picking a meal is a big thing here too, so if they insist, just go with something grilled or baked and keep to a small portion. ...and insist on veggies that aren't drowning in sauce or butter.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    jmiles81 wrote: »
    So I am having my 34th birthday dinner with my family this weekend and they are bugging me on what they want them to make for me. I am starting to finally make (slow) and steady progress and do not want to derail myself. I am not a big meat eater, but need to increase my protein intake, especially if I want a small birthday dessert. Any suggestions on what to cook? Please don't say, it is your birthday, enjoy. I have been working so hard, I just want to stay on track.

if you like seafood

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2007/07/seafood-recipes.html

for pudding a birthday cake - take a small slice
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    There are lots of lower-calorie options that will still feel like treats because somebody else is buying and cooking :) A nice grilled sirloin steak or broiled seafood come to mind.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Lobster :grinning:
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Lobster :grinning:

I amend. Steak and lobster.
  • brandigyrl81
    brandigyrl81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    A nice grilled ribeye steak would be nice, along with some asparagus and roasted potatoes.
  • jmiles81
    jmiles81 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions, I should have mentioned before that I do not eat red meat and while I eat some seafood, the rest of my family does not. I think the roast turkey breast/chicken may be the best route to take.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Next month is my 16 year wedding anniversary, hubby and I are going out to dinner for it (mainly to get away from the kids for a few hours). My plan is to up my calories to maintenance for the day and enjoy, while still making relatively healthy choices. If you increase to maintenance for one day your not going to undo any of the hard work you've already done
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    On my birthday I eat whatever I want. My mom usually does an Oktoberfest kind of thing...I usually put down a couple of brats and a whole lot of beer.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Whatever makes you happy. It's your birthday. Enjoy it.

One celebration won't derail you, not when you've come this far.