Office Food

... I swear if I ate what was brought into the office everyday on top of the luncheons and parties I'd never reach goal! What do you do to stay away from the temptations in the office every day?

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    I don't eat them usually... My boss brought muffins yesterday and I didn't have one. I already packed all my food for the day and I didn't want to add another 300 or however many calories to that. For luncheons and pot lucks I participate and just try to be kind of good
  • jazzy550
    jazzy550 Posts: 264 Member
    We recently had a sweet day party after a team meeting. Everyone got a big plate of all kinds of cakes and candies; it was enough sugar to put you into a diabetic coma. I had no desire to have all that I had my lunch in one or two treats. But some of the other people in the office asked me what was wrong… I don't understand why people don't see how bad this is, I don't see it any differently than someone who goes outside to smoke three times a day or goes out on a drinking binge over the weekend ...to me it isn't any different.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Somedays it's easier than others.

I pack my breakfast and lunch almost every day because 1) it's cheaper and 2) I have protein goals to hit and 3) I'm really happiest when I have a big dinner so it helps me do that. Usually the fact that I like what I brought and I don't want to waste money will keep me from the office foods.

But, there are those days....and that's fine too. Just make sure it fits into your calorie goals.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    This is one aspect of working from home that makes me miss having a shared office.
  • Ladiebug710
    Ladiebug710 Posts: 133 Member
    Sometimes just logging the calories in things I'm am considering gives me enough motivation not to put it in my mouth. Some treats are necessary (dark chocolate) but most aren't worth the work it takes to burn them off.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    dbmata wrote: »
    This is one aspect of working from home that makes me miss having a shared office.

I'm pretty sure that your fridge is 1000 X more interesting than the office fridge. Or table. Or vending machine.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member

I agree, I gotta supply my own baked goods
  • racheljonel
    racheljonel Posts: 400 Member
    It's definitely easier some days than others. I always make sure I have my own snacks and breakfasts/lunches so I am prepared, and that makes it easier to just mindlessly grab what I've brought instead of the treats that are laid out.

If I know there is going to be lunch catered, sometimes I will leave and go shopping, then come back and eat the lunch I brought. Then I don't have to be around it or worry about it (and i get to shop, win-win).

I do give in sometimes, though, usually when they bring bagels in (they're so hard to resist!) and on those days I just make it work. I don't stress it when it happens, I just eat accordingly the rest of the day.
  • jazzy550

Ha! You are much better off! Stay away from the office! >:)
  • kalamitykate83
    kalamitykate83 Posts: 227 Member
    Sometimes just logging the calories in things I'm am considering gives me enough motivation not to put it in my mouth. Some treats are necessary (dark chocolate) but most aren't worth the work it takes to burn them off.

I do this sometimes! If I'm craving something or thinking of eating something, say ice cream or chocolate, I pop it into MFP and then see how many cals etc it is and change my mind ... something I don't, but then I believe in little in moderation so one bar of chocolate or slice of cake isn't going to make you fat! it's having the will power to know when to stop.
  • Athos282
    Athos282 Posts: 405 Member
    jazzy550 wrote: »
    ... I swear if I ate what was brought into the office everyday on top of the luncheons and parties I'd never reach goal! What do you do to stay away from the temptations in the office every day?

Bring my own snacks and stay out of the kitchen/break room.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    jazzy550 wrote: »

Ha! You are much better off! Stay away from the office! >:)

Truth, it ain't the 50s, I think most modern offices would frown on my minibar.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Just visualize that commercial where the little kids are running around in costumes of what they ate - like a whole pink donut...
  • Cave_Goose
    Cave_Goose Posts: 156 Member
    15 minutes before the monthly office birthday party, I eat an apple or banana and drink two full glasses of water. By the time the party starts, I'm not even tempted.

The bigger temptation is the treats people bring in first thing in the morning and place on the empty desk across from me.
  • machelle04
    machelle04 Posts: 690 Member
    Luckily for me the break room is exactly .3 miles from my office and in the hard hat zone so that helps me. I have a mini fridge in my office I keep fruit and healthy snacks in. Fight hard I am sure the temptation is pure hell!
  • afbaka
    afbaka Posts: 7 Member

i love the idea of logging the food before you eat it, that would definitely wake me up to how not worth it those calories are! thanks for the idea, totally doing that from now on if i want to eat something questionable! :smiley:
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    I just don't eat them. I'm rarely tempted at this point. Sometimes I'll bring my share home for my husband if it's something he'd like, but I don't usually think twice about it. I COULD eat it, and I'm sure it would be tasty, but then I'd have to make room for it in my day by cutting out planned snacks, which I don't like to do because it screws up my macros and the sugary treats just won't fill me up like the other things do. I don't want to eat a 250 calorie donut just to be hungry five minutes later. It's not worth it.

I did have two donuts this weekend, but it fit into my weekly calorie goal, so no guilt required.
  • dawnkent0626
    dawnkent0626 Posts: 14 Member
    I log every bite that goes in my mouth. It makes it easier to see that the muffins or cupcakes sitting on the counter aren't worth that larger, healthier meal I will have later on.

I also load up on lots of low-cal snacks and eat something about every 2 1/2 hours or so... It keeps me fuller and makes me feel like I'm not missing out on anything. I work in an old farmhouse that was converted into an office and my cubicle is right in the kitchen next to all those snacks, so I know it's not easy.

Once in a while, if I'm REALLY craving something, I will cut off just a small bite to have and walk away. There are other food-conscious people in the office, so they don't mind...it gives them permission to do the same.
  • jazzy550
    I just don't eat them. I'm rarely tempted at this point. Sometimes I'll bring my share home for my husband if it's something he'd like, but I don't usually think twice about it. I COULD eat it, and I'm sure it would be tasty, but then I'd have to make room for it in my day by cutting out planned snacks, which I don't like to do because it screws up my macros and the sugary treats just won't fill me up like the other things do. I don't want to eat a 250 calorie donut just to be hungry five minutes later. It's not worth it.

I did have two donuts this weekend, but it fit into my weekly calorie goal, so no guilt required.

I Agee Lyndesy! A 250 calorie donut isn't worth it! I did great today; there were tempting treats all over the office...
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    edited February 2015
    Sometimes I eat it, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I get a whole plate, Sometimes just a bite. I guess I should go smoke instead or slam a bunch of hooch, I mean its all the same. Seriously, Just don't eat it if you don't want it.

ETA, I take a longer look at calories. I don't agonize over my daily total. A calories deficit OVER TIME is what loses weight. I look at my calories more on a weekly scale. Some days im over 600, somedays under 600, for instance. At the end of the week, a 3500 calorie deficit still equals roughly a pound loss.