12 down, 100+ to go

Options
Okay, finally I'm posting in this thread. I've been using MFP for one month and have lost nearly 12 pounds, which I guess is a good rate for a woman in her 60s. (A very youthful 60s, thankverymuch!) I don't know how I managed to gain 120 pounds in the last 27 years, but hey, I'm obviously very good at that.

There is a huge emotional component to my compulsive eating. Oh boy, the therapy I've had...while eating my way into a size 20 jeans. But when I did my biometric screening for our insurance a month ago and glanced over to see my weight recorded on the form, it was like someone flipped a switch in my head. I went home, searched for apps to help me log my foods, found MFP and got started.

As I began logging my foods and entering my favorite recipes into MFP, I realized that my meals have not been the problem. My mom was so obsessed with healthy eating and cooking light and delicious foods, and that is how I learned to cook. But you know how it is when someone keeps hammering away at you that you can't have bread, you can't ever have dessert, you can't have potatoes, and you will never be allowed to eat at McDonald's: you revolt, sometimes well into your middle age and long after that person has passed away. My meals are fine. It's the constant eating in between that has done me in. Every time I thought about food, I ate food, and I thought about food all day long.

So yeah, I have issues, but they're not stopping me from doing this. I have a fabulous life and a wonderful husband and we'll be retiring in a few years and I want to enjoy it. My head is in the right place now, and I'm glad to have this place.

Replies