Calories or macro/micros?

Options
I'm a new member and starting to track calories as well as the recommended protein, sugar, fat etc levels the myfitpal suggests. Do you get discouraged if your calorie count is where it should be but say your sugar level is -38 of what is recommended?
I am not sure how close I should be monitoring the specific values of those other categories. Has anyone noticed how this affects their weight loss goals.

Also forgive my diary. I literally just started and haven't gotten the healthy eating down yet. I wanted to be honest and really track what I ate to motivate me to do better.

Replies

• shortie_sarah
    shortie_sarah Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I'm a new member and starting to track calories as well as the recommended protein, sugar, fat etc levels the myfitpal suggests. Do you get discouraged if your calorie count is where it should be but say your sugar level is -38 of what is recommended?
    I am not sure how close I should be monitoring the specific values of those other categories. Has anyone noticed how this affects their weight loss goals.

Also forgive my diary. I literally just started and haven't gotten the healthy eating down yet. I wanted to be honest and really track what I ate to motivate me to do better.

Personally, I don't get discouraged if my macros aren't leveled out but my calories fit. My main concern is my calories. I choose mostly healthy foods and just let my macros fall into place. I rarely go over on my macros when I choose all healthy foods. Other than calories, I do like to watch my sodium intake because too much sodium can result in some major water retention and can give you false weigh-ins.

I think it's awesome that you decided to be honest with your diary. That takes courage, it really does. It's like you're admitting to the mistakes that you've made. Keep in mind that making mistakes proves that you are trying in the first place. Best of luck to you! :smile:

edit to add this: Weight gain and/or loss is determined by your calorie intake. How 'healthy' you are is determined by your macros. A small person may be thin, but if they eat too much "junk" then they may not be very healthy. It just means they take in enough calories to maintain a certain weight.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I would say macros are far more important, especially since I've been watching this guy
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oasKipHYsLU
  • chollands29
    chollands29 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    thanks for the encouragement! I actually am not sure if my diary is even visible? Can you let me know if the privacy settings are right, so that myfitpal members can see it?
  • shortie_sarah
    shortie_sarah Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    as of now I can't see your diary. You may have it set to friends only
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    If your only concern is to lose weight then just track calories, but if you are concern how your body would look like at a certain weight track your macros. MFP sets protein on the lower side so i would recommend changing it, especially if you are fairly active.
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I track calories for sure. I use the Macros are more of a guideline. I try to get my protein higher than what MFP sets...which usually isn't a problem. Fats I try to keep about the same and Carbs lower.

As for sugar, if I'm over, I'll look at where those sugars came from before I worry. If it's coming mainly from fresh fruit, I'm not concerned. But if it's coming from canned or processed foods, added sugar (sometimes I like pasta sauce)...then I take a step back and reevaluate. I don't add salt to things, nor do I cook with it, so my sodium level is always WAY below my recommended number.
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I pay attention mostly to being close to macros and calories. The micros, not so much, BUT-other than needing to lose another 30-40 lbs, I am quite healthy with no physical medical issues that would make the micros a big deal-no high blood pressure, no diabetes, etc. things like that. If you are in doubt-ask your dr. what you should pay attention to. Everything is important, but some stuff is less important on an individual basis. And you could drive yourself crazy worry about the small stuff when it is probably not necessary.

Welcome and good luck!