589 Days of Logging - a look at CICO over a long duration

Options
I periodically download my complete food and exercise log from MFP into a database for analysis, the last time being 01/08/15 – this was my 589th day on MFP (fully logging everything save for about 30 “Quick Calories” entries for single meals) and I thought I’d share the sheer magnitude of activity that goes into that duration of food and exercise logging! I think most people (especially those that don’t log their diet) don’t understand the massive amount of food / drink that goes into fueling us.

Food/Drink
15,396 individual food entries
1,663,312 calories consumed
475 lbs of equivalent body weight (3,500 calories = 1 lb) consumed
196,322 carb grams (49%)
46,838 fat grams (26%)
102,403 protein grams (25%)
56,174 sugar grams (50,575 refined (25.7% of overall carbs, I need to improve upon this), 5,599 from natural sources)
2,824 average calories consumed per day

Exercise
372 days exercised
25,989 minutes exercised
225,788 calories burned
64 lbs of equivalent body weight burned
383 average calories burned per day

CICO Summary
1,663,312 Calories In
1,710,068 Calories Out (1,484,280 TDEE calories burned (2,520 calories x 589 days) + 225,788 exercise calories burned)
(46,756) Caloric Deficit
(13.35) lbs projected weight lost (caloric deficit / 3,500)

I’ve been in maintenance for about a year, at about 2,520 calories per day, so the calories in/ calories out (CICO) methodology is working very well. My aggregated deficit of 46,756 calories, divided by 3,500 calories per lb, equals to about 13.35 lbs that I should have lost. I actually lost over 11lbs, so factor in **a few TDEE tweaks along the way and the inevitable instances of imprecise calorie consumption or burn estimations**. A 7,000 calorie variance across 1.6 million calories isn’t bad…

Replies

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Very nice!! Thanks for sharing.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    Very nice!! Thanks for sharing.

No problem! I'm probably going to take a closer look at just my maintenance period and see how close that is to a caloric break even
  • MargueriteMuguet
    MargueriteMuguet Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Brilliant! I love this. Thanks for sharing
  • bunnypy
    bunnypy Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Wish to get there and be used to all these sacrifices, I'm 5'1 at 107-110, maintaining at 1400, which is never satisfying, I'm extremely lazy to exercise, I feel like one day I'm going to give it all up and binge on anything and everything LOL, being thin is hard work for a shorty!
  • iwillsucceed0444
    iwillsucceed0444 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    bunnypy wrote: »
    Wish to get there and be used to all these sacrifices, I'm 5'1 at 107-110, maintaining at 1400, which is never satisfying, I'm extremely lazy to exercise, I feel like one day I'm going to give it all up and binge on anything and everything LOL, being thin is hard work for a shorty!

Wow, you look super awesome in your profile pic. Dat *kitten* though lol! heck, if I ever look like in a tight dress, I'd say I'd be super satisfied. :)
  • joolsmd
    joolsmd Posts: 375 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Deleted
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    That is pretty cool. I've logged a lot longer and teach stats, but haven't made such an attempt. I think that's why MFP works for me. I love data.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Options
    nxd10 wrote: »
    That is pretty cool. I've logged a lot longer and teach stats, but haven't made such an attempt. I think that's why MFP works for me. I love data.

Thanks - I minored in Ops Mgmt as an undergrad, which was stats heavy, so I love this stuff too!
  • Delilahhhhhh
    Delilahhhhhh Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this, it's fascinating seeing it all laid out like that. I've logged in for 122 days (started Oct '14). When I got near to my 200 days, I was thinking of doing something similar, I am definitely going to do it now!!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    OMG.. I am a "stats" junkie too and I think I will do this too. I have only been logging into MFP for 6 months. My exercise is tracked through Fitbit and I can down load the data from there and do a comparison of MFP to Fitbit...

We'll see if the weight loss is close... Great Post!
  • Bry_Fitness70
    edited February 2015
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    So how do you go out to a chain restaurant that doesn't list information?

I substitute similar things from other restaurants - if I'm having a mushroom and Swiss from a place that isn't a franchise and doesn't offer nutritional info, logging the same thing from the MFP database from Wendy's or Burger King will probably be in the ballpark and good enough.
  • SuzyH
    SuzyH Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Wow! Congratulations! You are an inspiration!
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    Options
    So CICO really works, how about that!

The hardest part is figuring out an accurate TDEE. The more weight you have to lose the less accurate the TDEE calculators are. I think the best thing to do is have RMR tested and go from there. I had mine tested a few years ago and it was way off from the calculators. I need to get it tested again.

Thanks for posting, the reaffirms my faith in this process.
  • jane837
    jane837 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I am all about the stats! Thanks for sharing. :smile: