New Workout Needed

Options
Good morning - I was wondering if I could get some suggestions as to a new working.

I was doing SL5x5 3 days a week and riding my bike for 60 minutes the other two days.

Then I had a heart attack. Cant outtrain genetics. :(

Anyway, now my cardiologist wants me to do at least 30 minutes of cardio 5 days a week. As I only have an hour at the gym per day, that doesnt give me time to do my SL5x5 lifting.

Can someone suggest a lifting program similar to SL that I could do in 30 minutes per workout? Ive considered P90X3 as a possibility. I love the feel and results from squats and presses though.

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    How many days per week?

You could do (A)squat, bench, accessory and (B)dead, press, accessory 2x week, or something similar.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    How about doing some of the cardio in your home or outside.
  • samammay
    samammay Posts: 468
    Options
    I have 1 hour a day, M-F.

Jack, do you mean do A twice a week, B twice a week?

Cherimoose, I do cardio outside on days I dont lift (running). At least until the weather here in Florida turns unbearable again.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    samammay wrote: »
    I have 1 hour a day, M-F.

Jack, do you mean do A twice a week, B twice a week?

Yes, so something like
    Mon - workout A
    Tues - workout B
    Wed - rest, stretch, yoga, easy cardio, etc. i.e. not lifting
    Thurs - workout A
    Fri - workout B
    Weeknds - cardio, rest, etc.

• AndreaEIE
    AndreaEIE Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm doing X3 right now, and I love it. It's a nice variety of different workouts that really do yield great results. I did two rounds of P90X before going on to X3, and I don't feel like I'm missing anything.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Why not spend your hour in the gym doing SL and then do cardio at a different time/different place? 30 minutes isn't a crushing amount of time. A bike, elliptical, treadmill etc are home could get you doing that 30 mins every morning or night, separate from your gym workout.
  • samammay
    samammay Posts: 468
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Why not spend your hour in the gym doing SL and then do cardio at a different time/different place? 30 minutes isn't a crushing amount of time. A bike, elliptical, treadmill etc are home could get you doing that 30 mins every morning or night, separate from your gym workout.

Unfortunately, the hour I have is a stretch already. I have 3 kids, 2 jobs and a partially disabled wife. Adding 30 more minutes of cardio, and its really not 30 minutes with warm up, cool down and shower/etc - closer to an hour, just isn't something that I can do. I appreciate the thought though.