Tips for soreness

Options
My recent workout (30day shred begginer) has me feelin it! It got me thinking this would be a great topic. Im sure its been asked before, probably alot lol. But what are your tips for dealing with soreness? My job is 8hours on my feet and i am dreading work!
My tips so far-
- walk it off/stretch. Even though its sometimes the last thing i want to do, i find it helps alot to loosen me up
- i drink a protein shake post workout. Always seems worse if i forget my shake

Replies

• shaunroberts
    shaunroberts Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    Good thorough stretching before and after training helps me considerably. A really hot bath with Radox muscle soak is also great!
    Cheers,
    Shaun.
  • dirtyflirty30
    dirtyflirty30 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Epsom salt baths. Super fantastic...
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    drink plenty of water, a nice bath or hot shower, (if you can afford it) a weekly massage session :)
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I need this post today, just did my first day of NROLFW yesterday and today, OUCH! I did soak in a hot bath last night but I guess that wasn't enough :s
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    My doctor said to use a tennis ball and put it behind my back, or lay on top of it and move around to work out the knots. It really helps.
  • AZTallguy
    AZTallguy Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    njitaliana wrote: »
    My doctor said to use a tennis ball and put it behind my back, or lay on top of it and move around to work out the knots. It really helps.

You are a goddess! Thank you! Thank you! That sounds exactly what I need and I always love a great massage. I'll be using that idea, sore or not!
  • dizzzigrl
    dizzzigrl Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Eat lots of Bananas!
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Stretch and foam roll right after your workout. Hot epsom salt baths are also fantastic. Protein/recovery drinks are great for intense workouts. Drink lots of water. Also, keep moving to prevent the lactic acid from building up and causing the soreness. Doing a light run after a workout or the next day seems to help me a lot.
  • JenniferInCt
    JenniferInCt Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Well i made it through work! Almost didnt make it up the stairs to get inside my house but now i can rest. On to cardio day tomorrow. Thanks guys! Mm i will try the bananas. Wish i could take a hot epson salt bath! Maybe ill use a heating pad tonight too
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    There isn't really anything that you can do, except keep blood circulating through the sore areas. That means light exercise such as walking, rolling your arms, shrugging your shoulders etc. Light stretching is fine as well, but don't overdo it.
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Robbo_79 wrote: »
    Rubbish.
    the soreness is a build up of lactic acid around the muscles and nerves which is formed when you exercise hard.

Post-workout supplements, warming down with 5 mins of stretching and doing 5 mins of light cardio, even just 5 mins on a treadmill after working out will all help drastically reduce soreness after training.

None of this is backed by science. In fact, the science on the subject quite unanimously rejects this.

http://link.springer.com/article/10.2165/00007256-200333020-00005
    http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/02701367.1989.10607463#.VNsaTfmUeao
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD004577.pub2/abstract;jsessionid=AB61E6FD0282E487E336E491DA40108D.f01t02

The only way to avoid DOMS is to avoid eccentric work, but that is neither feasible nor does it make any sense for someone doing a normal workout. There might be some benefit in supplementing with BCAA and electrolytes, but the effects range from none to marginal, and are certainly not "drastic".

Also, lactic acid levels are back to normal within one hour of exercising. How that could possibly cause pain 24-48 hours after the exercise is quite baffling.