Question about blood sugar numbers?

Options
My younger brother has to periodically take insulin shots because his pancreas does not work the way it is supposed to. For "fun" he tested my glucose levels. I know I am insulin resistant because I have PCOS but I've never had to keep track of my numbers. I had a glass of wine and about half a cup of ice cream about 40 minutes prior to him testing me. My number was 130. Is that high? Should I have my doctor test me? Thanks!

Replies

• Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    A blood glucose of 130 40minutes after eating is NOT high, it's well within the parameters of normal. If you are even slightly concerned take your glucose reading after fasting (first thing in the morning), if it's above 99 I would make an appointment with your doctor. (With a reading of 130 after eating the chances that a fasting will be above 99 are similar to a snowball in hell, as in its possible but not probable)
  • lpatriquin
    lpatriquin Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I believe I can answer your question. I am a nurse and a Certified Diabetes Educator. I live in Canada and we measure blood sugar in mmol/L instead of mg/DL like you do in the states, however, I did the calculation and your blood sugar was actually normal given the fact that you had eaten only 40 minutes before testing.
    The only way to know for sure would be to have your physician order an actual screening test at the lab.
    That being said, you have a few risk factors that increase the likelihood of developing diabetes, like a family history and your PCOS. Most people would get screened for diabetes after the age of 40 but in someone with risk factors, screening can begin earlier.
    Hope this helps. :smile:
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    If it's above 140 about an hour after eating, you might have to worry. Otherwise, you probably have good insulin sensitivity.