2»

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    Oh, good. It's the LOL guy again.

The spikes after protein intake aren't generally as high as with carbs

also they are also offset with glucagon, leaving blood glucose almost unchanged. Bit of a contrast with the excess glucose being shunted into storage or oxidation quickly by insulin post eating carbs.
  • candicemaria05
    candicemaria05 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been making smoothies and drinking them for breakfast, and sometimes dinner and they are putting me way above my allotted amount of sugar for the day. Is this cause for trouble, or should I not worry about it? The smoothies I am making are fruits and veggies with either coconut water or unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk. Sometimes I will add a little real maple syrup if I want a little sweetness. TYIA

Unless you're getting ready to do a high intensity workout after each smoothie or not trying to lose weight, it's also not good to drink high amounts of sugar before bed, (inactivity) the majority of your total carbohydrates should be complex and primarily fiber, simple sugars become stored fat and can negate weight loss goals, it's best to keep that number around 20 grams a day. Total carbohydrates and dietary fiber on the other hand can be much higher as this is sustainable energy that keeps you feeling full and balances your blood sugar and insulin levels. You should also focus on getting enough protein in your diet, instead of so much sugar. Plus depending on the amount of fat you consume in a day, all that sugar just adds to it over time and you never truly lose weight. Hope this was helpful.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    it's also not good to drink high amounts of sugar before bed, (inactivity)

I think that whole "carbs before bed" thing is a bit of a myth. I've read extensively on meal timing issues of all sorts, and my personal conclusion is that it only matters from a behavioral standpoint. (Eg: good meal timing may help you be prepared to face tough choices, and help you avoid a binge or unhealthy snacking)

For me the real concern would just be "what am I not getting for all these calories I'm 'wasting' on sugar." I wouldn't demonize sugar the way some do, but I think even fruit should be eaten in moderation. If you're not eating it in moderation, then it's just a step above candy to me. There are better options.

I try to think of it always as a budget, and I know that I have to prioritize foods when I don't have an unlimited amount of calories to "spend." I know I will be fuller on less calories if I incorporate more fiber, fat and protein into my smoothie. Smoothies are fine, but you can probably build a better smoothie.

Some suggestions could be: nuts and seeds, rolled oats, cooked brown rice or quinoa, spinach, mango, avocado, nut butters, protein powder (I like plain 100% whey protein), pasteurized egg whites, etc.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    wabmester wrote: »
    Oh, good. It's the LOL guy again.

The spikes after protein intake aren't generally as high as with carbs

also they are also offset with glucagon, leaving blood glucose almost unchanged. Bit of a contrast with the excess glucose being shunted into storage or oxidation quickly by insulin post eating carbs.

Does glucagon effect the whole body or possibly is it limited to I don't know the liver?

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I have been making smoothies and drinking them for breakfast, and sometimes dinner and they are putting me way above my allotted amount of sugar for the day. Is this cause for trouble, or should I not worry about it? The smoothies I am making are fruits and veggies with either coconut water or unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk. Sometimes I will add a little real maple syrup if I want a little sweetness. TYIA

Unless you're getting ready to do a high intensity workout after each smoothie or not trying to lose weight, it's also not good to drink high amounts of sugar before bed, (inactivity) the majority of your total carbohydrates should be complex and primarily fiber, simple sugars become stored fat and can negate weight loss goals, it's best to keep that number around 20 grams a day. Total carbohydrates and dietary fiber on the other hand can be much higher as this is sustainable energy that keeps you feeling full and balances your blood sugar and insulin levels. You should also focus on getting enough protein in your diet, instead of so much sugar. Plus depending on the amount of fat you consume in a day, all that sugar just adds to it over time and you never truly lose weight. Hope this was helpful.

So I shouldn't eat fruit which is a monosaccharide aka simple sugar but should eat cake is a polysaccharide or complex sugar?

While I am being a bit obtuse, the fact is, simple sugars do not store as fat unless you eat in a surplus. Essentially, your energy in > energy out. But at that point, over consumption of any macronutrient will cause weight gain.

And while anecdotal, I eat 2500 calories, 260 to 300g of carbs (of which 140g are sugar in some variation to include both simple and complex), and 160g of protein (so I hit 1g per lb of lean body mass) and the remainder as carbs with no weight loss issues.