tracking devices, specifically fitbit.... how does it work to add a device?

Options
I added my fitbit surge, and it is automatically giving me calore credit for exercise, so it seems to me that it doesn't make sense for me to also manually enter my types of daily exercise? I think I prefer to manually enter, then I can itemize tennis, running, yoga, Xfit, etc... I trust fitbit, but I would feel like I get a more accurate count my using the fitness pal exercise database??? Any thoughts?? I am leaning toward removing my fitbit as a device from this account...

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    If you want to manually enter an exercise just make sure you enter the start and stop times correctly and MFP will not count the fitbit calories during those time periods.
  • redmanc35
    redmanc35 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I add my fitness manually, fitbit takes that in to account and adjust accordingly. There is even an app for android called drive bit which will adjust for the movements you do while driving.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Any thoughts?? I am leaning toward removing my fitbit as a device from this account...

The underlying issue is probably that whilst Fitbit is giving you an arbitrary credit for activities because it assumes that every motion that it detects is walking. Sometimes it'll be artificially inflated, sometimes it'll be deflated, but you won't know which is which.

That said, personally I don't see the point of these toys, but clearly others love them.

• snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Fit bit gives you calories burned for just living. We burn calories 24/7 and you will notice that you have calories burned on it when you wake up in the morning. I use mine just to motivate me to move more and log my exercise each day on MFP. I don't think anything is 100% accurate.

I do love mine though, it is the best motivator I have and gets me active to reach my step goals.
  • globalgamble
    globalgamble Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    all good stuff.. and thanks for claryfing the calorie burn.. i have always been suspect.. through 3 generations of fitbits, i never figured that out! i love my new surge, love checking my heartrate all the time, and the fact i can do a GPS run.. i had to wear 2 devices on race day, totally selling my race watch!

I like how fitbit tracks my walk ( I don't think artificial movements i.e. driving, waving arms) account for that many of my steps, in fact it is a very low percentage. That said, I am now leaning towards letting fitbit do the exercise to calorie burn at the end of the day instead of me doing manual entries.

I guess I need to find the fitbit group on here! thx all!
  • janerfitnesspal145
    Options
    My husband got me a Fitbit Charge for Christmas and I love it. My sister's had one for years and after checking out her steps, I really wanted something to track exactly how much I walked every day. I walk a heck of a lot more than I thought I did. Like most people who wear a Fitbit, I've found that it does motivate me to walk even more. My sister (a mail carrier), my sister-in-law, and now my mom all wear Fitbits and are "friends" so we can see and motivate each other to get moving! Since I've started wearing my Fitbit, I'm walking more regularly...now make myself get up and walk 1,000 steps every hour and it's takes less time every day.
  • globalgamble
    globalgamble Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Jane- good for you and your family! fit bit junkies! i love it!
  • usflygirl55
    usflygirl55 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I have always logged my exercise times on here and made it match my actual times and let the credit from Fitbit supply the calories burned. I have used my fitbit for 4 years now and will soon need to replace my Ultra as it has taken lots of abuse. :smiley:
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit. I use it more to make sure I am getting by butt up and moving. I log my exercise separately and those are the calories I use in my food diary. I don't generally eat back the calories it gives me unless I am doing no other type of exercise. I log my exercise separately and those are the calories I use in my food diary.
  • Scorpiotwin
    Scorpiotwin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I recently purchased the fitbit charge HR. I let the fitbit adjust the exercise calories for me. I feel like it's more accurate because of the constant heart rate monitoring the Charge HR. does. Before I was using a Sony smart watch but I would have to configure the calories manually. I have also used the inane, but those tend to stop working plus I did not have the heart rate monitor. I love my fitbit I think everyone should have one.