More protein from nuts

Options
I'm confused.
I am trying to increase my protein daily intake.
I am not a huge nut eater. I was looking at cashews last week
Should I be mid morning snacking on them. 100g ( too much) is 283 cals 23g of fat and 13.6 g carbs, all that for a 9.1g protein.
Be grateful for any suggestions that don't involve meal replacement shakes

Replies

• Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I love seeds and nuts, but they can definitely add up. Are you vegan or vegetarian? If not, grass fed ground sirloin has quite the protein bang for your buck.

• aplcr0331
    aplcr0331 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    13g of protein in a can of drained solid white albecore tuna and only 60 calories. You'll be under 100 calories just mixing in some salsa and it taste good.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Nuts are a great way to increase the fat content in your diet. They're loaded with healthy fats.

Most of them are fairly low in protein as a percentage of calories, though. If you're trying to increase your protein, look at adding more lean meat, fish, dairy like milk or cheese or yogurt... Or if you're vegetarian, add some tofu, soy, tempeh, lentils, beans, chickpeas and such.
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    100g of cashew nuts is actually 586 calories and 17.7g of protein with 48g of fat. Maybe check which calories calculator you're using?
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    100g of cashew nuts is actually 586 calories and 17.7g of protein with 48g of fat. Maybe check which calories calculator you're using?

Yeah i was thinking that sounded low in calories, too. My energy mix is deadly calorie-wise, if I'm not careful. The first time I bought the can to keep at work (for the same purpose as you, OP), I ate 1,000 calories worth of nuts in one day!!! Eeek! So ... a good source of protein, but very high in calories. I still keep that at work, but reduce my portion to 1/4 cup and even that is 200 calories. I have peanut butter with my banana. Cold cuts (turkey slice with a cheese stick) are high in protein. Good luck!
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Nuts are fine for a snack. There are far better sources of protein
    steak, Greek yogurt, tuna, eggs or cottage cheese.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    This table compares nuts and their fat content. Portable proteins also usually come with fat.
    http://www.builtlean.com/2013/07/31/calories-nuts-chart/

I like Edamame seed pods.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    chik-fil-a_cow-eat-mor-chikin.jpg
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    A man I once worked for lost nearly 100 pounds and snacked on pistachios constantly. He didn't count calories, but ate the darned pistachios whenever he felt hungry. People (including me) said that was a lot of calories and there's no way you'll lose weight. Yet he lost nearly 100 pounds in less than a year. Go figure.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I love nuts, but I don't use them as an appreciable source of protein. Fat, yes. Protein, no.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    lean meats, fish, greek yogurt, tofu, cottage cheese
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    almonds, yogurt, chicken and cottage cheese are my to go to, to up my the proteins when i think i am to short on those numbers
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    never really considered nuts a good source of protein, tho they are often described as such. maybe for a vegetarian or vegan
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    never really considered nuts a good source of protein, tho they are often described as such. maybe for a vegetarian or vegan

They aren't a good source of protein for vegetarians either, it's just marketing.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    idk if you wont eat meat and you refuse to use supplements there's probably not that many alternatives, at least for a vegan. and probably most of those alternatives will also come with a lot of fat
  • BrittanieGo
    BrittanieGo Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I use nuts more for the crunch, they have some protein but I really only eat them cause I like them and they are better than chips or crackers. Cottage Cheese and Greek yogurt are my go to non meat non shake proteins
  • cricketTown
    cricketTown Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    aplcr0331 wrote: »
    13g of protein in a can of drained solid white albecore tuna and only 60 calories. You'll be under 100 calories just mixing in some salsa and it taste good.
    That sounds insanely tasty. That's my tomorrow lunch, thank you so much for the idea!

• jessicahelene
    jessicahelene Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I bought soy nuts from my grocery in the bulk food section. They offer unsalted, salted, and honey versions and I do a 1/1/1 mixture of the 3. They are a lot higher in protein than nuts. I use it to bulk up my protein, as well as greek yogurt and sometimes protein bars/shakes.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is a fantastic protein source. Meat, eggs, nuts (yes), peanut butter ...and quest bars.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    OP, I boil eggs every Sunday and have at least one each morning, sometimes with the yolk, sometimes without, depending on the calorie levels of the rest of that morning's food. It's a good addition to the morning routine.