Roller derby.

Options
i just joined the fresh meat course. And I'm wondering how many calories would I burn around?
Height 167cm
Weight 73kg
We do warm up exercises and then skating... It's around 3hrs with a "break" if 15mins to eat a snack...

Replies

• hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't even know where to start. Surely not continuously skating for 3 hours? Wouldn't there be significant grab-*kitten* time for instructional stuff? If you don't have an armored HRM, I'd just try to figure out how much actual skate time you're doing and log it that way...it'd at least be sorta-kinda in the ballpark.
  • Shell_1384
    Shell_1384 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just joined roller derby too (go Gas City Rollers!!!). I read a few blogs that said they compare it to aerobics in MFP. I just put skates on for the first time tonight and practice was 2 hrs long, we started with an intense 15-20 min off-skate warmup of burpees, planks, etc then I skated on my own with help from experienced members, taking lots of water and rest breaks. I logged it as 60 mins of Aerobics, low impact at 406 calories (I'm 5'4" and 180 lbs). I prefer to log low estimates on exercise so it was probably more, but this way I don't eat more than I should thinking I am safe to have a Snickers or something haha. Feel free to add me as a friend so we can share this journey!!!
  • gemberly
    gemberly Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I never track my track time. I have worn a heart monitor and found I burned about 700 calories based on my height/weight. For a 2 hour practice where we did drills or were moving the whole time. On scrimmage days with a big league (tampa) we don't get a lot of track time. Like every 4th jam sometimes. Jams 30 secs to 2 mins long... it really varies how much we really move. I've been playing for 5 years. I just think after that time, my body is used it and doesn't actually burn that many calories. And makes it hard for me to lose weight if I count it.
  • jaimelynnkohler
    jaimelynnkohler Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I started training with south jersey roller derby last September. Love that there's others on here! I've tried to track calorie burn too but can't wear my fitpal bc of wrist guards and when i wore it at an open skate it didn't track. Any derby related tips regarding diet/exercise would be appreciated
  • TeachNTerror
    TeachNTerror Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    gemberly wrote: »
    I never track my track time. I have worn a heart monitor and found I burned about 700 calories based on my height/weight. For a 2 hour practice where we did drills or were moving the whole time. On scrimmage days with a big league (tampa) we don't get a lot of track time. Like every 4th jam sometimes. Jams 30 secs to 2 mins long... it really varies how much we really move. I've been playing for 5 years. I just think after that time, my body is used it and doesn't actually burn that many calories. And makes it hard for me to lose weight if I count it.

• TeachNTerror
    Options

I'm in derby, 2nd day on this fit program. I set workout goal for self to continue 4x per week. Like to track derby for that reason, don't care too much about earning calories back to eat, but curious which form of skating closest to note when tracking, cause I like seeing the calories burned, at least a ball park. I noted it as roller blading today. We had scrimmage full practice, no breaks, just against each other, a level players. Plus 27/5 laps before and after to warm up and keep muscles warm. Practice was 2 1/2 hours, counted as 2, figured 1/2 hour would account for my 2 penalties and divy out black and white time. Curious for opinions from any other derby folks that may be out here regarding how to track on this program?????? Plus, would just be nice to talk derby sometimes with another skater working to improve nutrition habits here :)
  • TeachNTerror
    Options
    I started training with south jersey roller derby last September. Love that there's others on here! I've tried to track calorie burn too but can't wear my fitpal bc of wrist guards and when i wore it at an open skate it didn't track. Any derby related tips regarding diet/exercise would be appreciated

I'm in derby, 2nd day on this fit program. I set workout goal for self to continue 4x per week. Like to track derby for that reason, don't care too much about earning calories back to eat, but curious which form of skating closest to note when tracking, cause I like seeing the calories burned, at least a ball park. I noted it as roller blading today. We had scrimmage full practice, no breaks, just against each other, a level players. Plus 27/5 laps before and after to warm up and keep muscles warm. Practice was 2 1/2 hours, counted as 2, figured 1/2 hour would account for my 2 penalties and divy out black and white time. Curious for opinions from any other derby folks that may be out here regarding how to track on this program?????? Plus, would just be nice to talk derby sometimes with another skater working to improve nutrition habits here :)

• TeachNTerror
    Options
    For those using fit pal, I've been told the trick is to wear it on your ankle. Those cross over certainly have ya stepping ;)
  • rebelriesling_
    rebelriesling_ Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Anybody know how to make a Fitbit flex more accurate? Very rarely does derby register as an activity, unless I'm jumping, transitioning, or shuffling by stepping through. I typically burn about 400-500 calories per two hour practice, since I'm only logging the actual time I spent skating.