Those last 300 calories to meet goal

Options

Replies

• HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Yea- especially tough when you care about macros like fat/carbs/sodium. I just leave it.
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    on the rare occassions when I do end up being significantly under, I try and keep it that way as I feel it makes up for the days when I am over (which happen a lot more).
  • yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    Options

I think there's something to it, actually. Prolonged calorie deprivation makes you crave fat and sugar, maybe. I never had a taste for it, even though I ate it occasionally. But now I absolutely love it.

I was just considering this about two days ago. Come to think of it, the only other period where I loved ice cream and ate a lot of it was when I was around 17-18 or so and eating at a calorie deficit every day (though not purposely or attempting to lose weight).
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about it. If I'm under 300 one day, I'll save them for a day later in the week when I end up being 300 over. It's nice to have a bit of extra room to indulge when I want to and I don't see a point in eating just to meet a goal if I'm not hungry. I usually have a couple low days and a couple high days every week, it balances out.
  • meandmyface
    meandmyface Posts: 328
    Options
    I think its important to listen to your body, if you're not hungry then don't just eat for the sake of it! Then you can use those calories later in the week for a treat when you really want something :)
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I set my calorie goal to lose 1 lb a week so if I'm 300 calories below I know I'm still between losing 1 and 2 lbs so I don't worry too much.
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I would have that chocolate bar and a can of soda too
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I have fat bombs that I made out of CO/cocoa/peanut butter and shredded coconut. They're good for 160 calories, I usually have one with some berries. Otherwise I might melt a couple ounces of mild cheddar and eat it with a spoon lol
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I've been known to eat condensed milk by the spoonful. I might need to pick up a can next grocery run.
  • Hotdawgnothotdog
    Hotdawgnothotdog Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    If you're not in the mood for food, you're not in the mood for food, what I usually do is have all my 'big' meals finished by my last workout, by then I usually have around 300 calories left, too, so I go in the kitchen, and, depending on how the calories are looking, eat as my remaining calories will alow. But it's not a crime to not finish your calories, if you get hungry, eat, but there's no reason stuffing your face because you have a few calories hanging around if you're not absolutely starving.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I've been known to eat condensed milk by the spoonful. I might need to pick up a can next grocery run.

You can make caramel in the crockpot with it, aaammmazzing!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'd totally save the 300 calories for the day I get over but... frankly it never happens. I've done it once in 5 months, when we went to a nice restaurant for Mother's Day (ok... and we're going again for Father's Day so I guess I could save up all those extra calories for Sunday). Mostly I guess is that it has to be a really good reason for me to blow my calorie goal, I'm very picky with food.

I ended up having a slice of bread with that delicious chocolate coconut peanut butter... Today it looks like I'm going to have the same issue again though!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If it happens once in a while that I have a pile of calories left, so be it.

If it happens regularly, plan your day better. Add a little extra to each meal so you're not trying to play catchup at the end of the day. Use your diary to plan your meals instead of just record them.
  • smwooley
    smwooley Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    2 Tablespoons of regular peanut butter with an apple...boom. 300 calories.
  • smwooley
    smwooley Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Why force yourself to eat if you aren't hungry?

Your body gets used and adapts to what you feed it. That's why people who eat 4000 calories a day can do that, and why people who only eat 1000 calories and not be hungry can do THAT. Your body adapts, so it's important to feed it enough or you'll mess up your metabolism.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Your body is a better tool [than] MFP

I don't know about you, but if my body were such a better tool than MFP I wouldn't be on MFP.

:drinker: Yep, this is not a concept that applies to me, either.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    If it's consistently a problem, eat a little more at each meal. Bigger piece of chicken, more veggies, whatever.
  • luisalg14
    luisalg14 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    If it happens once in a while that I have a pile of calories left, so be it.

If it happens regularly, plan your day better. Add a little extra to each meal so you're not trying to play catchup at the end of the day. Use your diary to plan your meals instead of just record them.

This ^^

The exact same thing has been happening to me in for weeks. I think my main problem is that I'm not an early riser, so by the time I've worked out (and I usually like to work out fasted), it's noon and most people have probably eaten a meal and a snack by then!
    So I've been trying really hard to get myself up and going earlier, and thus, eating earlier as well. I've not been a big snacker in the past, but now I'm trying to have something every few hours, so that by dinner time, I'm not left with a ridiculous amount of calories to consume (unless I'm planning on eating a humungous steak or so...). One simple thing that's helped me is to stock up on avocados and throw a half in most meals or snacks; a good 120-150 calories there that I don't notice as much as, say 1/2 cup of brown rice. I have been slowly getting closer to what I should be eating, though I'm still not quite there yet >:/

I do love the wine idea!!! :drinker:
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Looks like you could eat a bigger breakfast. Cream in coffee or tea? Peanut butter? Avocado with whole eggs? Whole milk yogurt? Yum.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    What do you do with them?

I know, I know. I didn't get here by having a hard time eating 1700 calories. But now that I don't binge on unhealthy foods anymore and actually sort of listen to my body, I have the opposite problem. Some days I'll have some frozen yogurt, some beer or a 100 calorie chocolate bar, but some days... I just don't want to make myself eat 'junk' to reach my goal.

So I just had dinner, I'm not hungry, I have 350 calories left, no cravings, and I have no idea what to do with them. Pretty much like the last 3 weeks... What would you do? ok the chocolate bar sounds tempting and I might do that after my workout, but I'll still be 250 calories short.

I have usually had some fruit and two hard boiled eggs or something.

I don't however, eat sweets just to fulfill my daily calorie allowance, I would rather not eat at all than start getting my chocolate cravings again.