Runner's Toes

Options
My toes!

I've been training pretty regularly now. But my toes are starting to look really rough around my nail beds and around the tips of my nails.

I've heard of people losing their nails and I'd like to avoid that. Any advice?

Replies

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Losing toenails is a badge of honor for a runner.

That being said, I suggest checking the fit of your shoe. By that, I mean going to a proper store that specializes in shoes and get fitted properly by an expert.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    You may need to change your shoes. Many people get that from their toes bumping up against the front of their running shoe.

My running shoes are a half-size larger than my normal shoe size. Gives me more room in the toe box for when my feet swell while running.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    If you're a runner you'll have bad toes it just comes with the territory. I actually have all my toenails at present but I do lose them on occasion. Make sure your shoes give enough room in the toe box and your toes don't bang against them especially when descending on steep trails Keep your toenails short and that's about all you can do. If your a runner you'll never be a foot model
  • ZiezieO
    ZiezieO Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I will wear the badge proudly if I have to ;)

I'm about ready for a new pair of shoes, I'll be sure to go have them fitted!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    brandiuntz wrote: »
    My running shoes are a half-size larger than my normal shoe size. Gives me more room in the toe box for when my feet swell while running.

Mine too and I never have a problem. I actually manage to keep a nice pedicure all the time LOL but don't ask me about the big calluses on my feet, that is a different story.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I never have a problem, either, but I go for the shoes with really roomy toe boxes. If I'm hitting the sides, top, or front of the shoe with my toes at any point in a 6 mile run, the shoes go back. Otherwise, there will be guaranteed pain and blisters at longer distances.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options

Mine too and I never have a problem. I actually manage to keep a nice pedicure all the time LOL but don't ask me about the big calluses on my feet, that is a different story.
    I wish I knew your secret :) It takes a long time for them to grow back properly and I'm always embarassed to wear sandals in summer.

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    The only time I sometimes get a bit of black toenail is if I'm doing a lot of downhill.

As upthread, it's about fit, and potentially lacing.
  • suncluster
    suncluster Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I lost a toenail last summer before I googled how to lace my shoes to avoid it.
  • suncluster
    suncluster Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    oh...and get good socks
  • kozinskey
    kozinskey Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Yep, check the fit of your shoes at a real running store. There should be plenty of room in the toe box because feet swell over the course of a run. I also lotion my feet every night and make sure to keep the toenails cut short and straight across. The only time I've lost a toenail running was after my first marathon, and it really wasn't all that bad. I just painted the skin on my toe the same color as all the other toes and no one noticed :#
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    Options

I am so jealous right now! What is your secret? I can't keep a pedicure for anything. The paint rubs off. I'm reduced now to painting my own toenails, just so I can continually re-apply the stuff. (I pretend that no one can see my calluses. My feet are way down there and people's eyes are way up here. . .)