Feeling guilty/stressed

Options
Do any of you guys feel really guilty when you go significantly over your calorie intake for the day or get stressed out when you can't track properly? If so, has anyone got any advice on this?
It was my sister's birthday so we went out for lunch at a small restaurant that doesn't have nutritional info on the menu...so I had to guess the ingredients+quantity of what I had. It added up to way more than what I've been allowing my daily intake to be for the last 5 weeks which I was prepared for since it was a treat but I also felt very guilty+anxious that I couldn't relatively accurately track what I ate. I'm going away on holidays shortly so this is playing on my mind. Any advice would be appreciated!

Replies

• smalltown_princess
    smalltown_princess Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. Everyone messes up, everyone has bad days where they can't track everything! And that's ok! One bad day won't make you fat just like one good day won't make you healthy
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Remember that it takes about 3500 calories above your maintenance calories to gain a pound, so it's pretty tough to derail yourself with one meal. And this is a lifestyle so you have to be able to fit meals or days in where you don't worry about it, otherwise you'll never get any enjoyment out of life.

It helps me to trust the mfp app and know that it works. :smiley:
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Maybe try backing some of the extra calories out of your daily totals for the rest of the week so your "weekly" total is closer to your target? Regardless, don't let it stress you out or put you off your logging.

For your holiday, maybe try to order things like poached eggs instead of fried, or fruit, grilled as opposed to fried or sauted, extra veggies instead of fries or rice or pasta.....split entrees with a friend? Keep portion size in mind and maybe only eat half what is served? I have been known to order from the appetizer menu with a small dinner salad to keep my portions smaller. Even if you maintain, or gain a pound or so, you can look back on the good trade-offs you did make while you still enjoyed your vacation :)
  • thejoshperson
    Options
    I struggle with this as well. I have a past with an eating disorder and when you say the "calories that you allow yourself," that sounds quite disordered. Just remember... MyFitnessPal didn't exist until about 5 years ago, and I am pretty sure 200 years ago people even counted calories.
  • JoRolleNola
    JoRolleNola Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    We all have good and bad days during the weight loss process. I believe the trick is to recognize the slip up and work a little harder the next day.
  • morganlee82
    morganlee82 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I get very stressed out when I'm not sure about my intake but then I remember that most of the time I'm on track and in the grand scheme, it won't make a difference. Just like others said, the whole point of staying on track is so that you can enjoy special occasions without worry. Also - I like to think this keeps your metabolism on it's toes! Use it as motivation for a little extra excercise and enjoy. I love the vacation eating tips. Bring what you need to get some excercise as appropriate for the destination as well.
  • Marxytron
    Options
    Depends on what kind of food u eat.. One mistake people do is they get concerned with the numbers too much.. 2500 calories of complex carbs, protein, high fiber, healthy low sodium low sugar food is better than 1000 calories of junk and fatty foods... And one cheat day in a week of dieting and heavy workout is actually productive... In a way it replenishes ur glycogen stores in ur muscles and makes u feel better about urself.. Just my opinion
  • susiebabygirl
    susiebabygirl Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Aw thanks everyone, you've all been super helpful. I really appreciate it! You're right that it's only one meal+it won't make a difference in the long run..I think I'm just freaking myself out about the holiday as I know we'll be going out to eat a lot. I'll try to pick healthier options but also allow myself to indulge a bit and just make sure to get back on track when I'm home :-)