protein powder

Options
lar2a
lar2a Posts: 30 Member
Does any girl take protein powder ? What are the results? How much do you take per day ? Do you have any brand to recommend?

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Plenty of women I know consume protein powder, not usually everyday. You only need protein powder if you can't reach an adequate protein goal eating whole foods. Protein timing is unimportant.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Yes, I supplement with a vegan soy protein powder, because as a vegan I have a hard time getting in my protein while eating in a deficit. My supplementation (One 24 gram scoop) provides me with an additional 20 grams of protein daily.

If your dietary protein levels are adequate there isn't really any reason to supplement.
  • Lindsay_the_great
    Lindsay_the_great Posts: 209 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I take it every day. Usually in my morning smoothie. I'm lactose And casein intolerant and I eat mostly vegetarian so it's hard to reach my protein goals without it. I rotate between a balanced vegan powder (vega protein and greens) and a non-Gmo soy protein from Now foods They typically come in 1/3 cup servings and I take it once per day. Soy bothers some people but it works great for me. If you can consume dairy you have a huge world of choices before you.
    If you do any muscle building activities it's important to get enough protein. Supplements are a good option if that's a struggle for you.
  • lar2a
    Options
    It's a struggle everyday to reach my protein goal. I think it would be better for me to have additional proteins on the workout days.
    When do you drink your shake ? After training ?
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I do, because I find it difficult to hit my protein goal without it. Protein powder works the same way as any other protein source -- you'll get the same results as you would by adding another chicken breast or can of tuna or whatever.
  • Lindsay_the_great
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I drink it for breakfast and I train in the afternoon. If I haven't reached my goals after my workout I try to have a protein rich snack like a handful of nuts or a boiled egg. I've been known to have a second shake on occasion but I try to get as much as I can through whole foods.
    That doesn't mean that after training isn't best for you. Play around with it and see what works.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    The timing really doesn't matter. I'm currently using an unflavored powder, so I mix it with milk and have milk and cookies before bed.
  • lar2a
    Options
    Ok girls ! Thanks a lot for the answers ! :)
    But there's so much choice ! Has anyone tried whey products ?
    And how's the taste like ?
  • Lindsay_the_great
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    The timing really doesn't matter. I'm currently using an unflavored powder, so I mix it with milk and have milk and cookies before bed.
    You just might not want to have it right before a workout since protein tends to digest slowly.. :smile:

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I take it when I'm struggling with my protein and don't want to stuff yet another piece of chicken down my throat (not a big fan of the taste of animal protein). I use Syntha-6 because even though it's higher in calories it does not have that "protein taste". It's quite expensive where I live but it looks affordable everywhere else. I love the strawberry milkshake flavor.
  • AngieRemer
    AngieRemer Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Whey actually digests fairly quickly. I use Jay Robb egg white protein powder to keep me full and because it's easier for me to meet protein needs by slamming a quick protein shake than eating another chicken breast. Jay Robb is a fairly clean powder and isn't filled with whey from cows that have been pumped with hormones. It also tastes good which I find is rare for most protein powders.
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    I have only used Cytosport Whey kinds. The normal one and vanilla flavored. Usually have in smoothies or just with almond milk if feeling like I need it or after a workout
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    I have just started drinking one daily. I was finding I was low on protein most days and wanted to try and get it to 1 g per 1 lb LBM.
    I have only been doing it for 2 weeks but find my energy levels are more consistent throughout the day.
    I am using Costco's Kaizen Whey Isolate, 40g= 150cal=35g protein.
    I just mix it with a large glass of water and sip it throughout the day.
    It is the vanilla flavour and tastes OK to me, but then I have no experience of others to compare it to.
    Never thought I would drink them, but they help reach my goal so I will continue.
    Cheers, h.
  • JillinIt_AllOutAllDay
    Options
    I use muscle pharm combat protein...it has the quick release whey and the slower digested casein. I have a shake in the morning after my workout and it helps me get my protein and not get so hungry. It mixes really well and tastes pretty good. (I have tried the chocolate and banana cream)
  • JimFsfitnesspal
    JimFsfitnesspal Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Most protein powder is crap. It gives you too much carbs and calories for the minimal protein it provides.

Instead eat tuna, salmon, chicken, turkey.

Limit carbs to around 100 and sugars to as low as you can and you will lose weight by the fistfuls. I'm down 24 pounds of fat and 43 to 35 inch waist in the last year. I added 5 pounds of muscle.
  • kanamefujioka
    Options
    Yes, with almond milk, I just do one scoop for protein needs, I'm not trying to bulk up. It helps a lot!
  • emilyrigh
    emilyrigh Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I take body fortress super advanced whey protein after every workout. I've had strawberry and chocolate & peanut butter. Both taste great. I don't do anything fancy to my shakes, just add water.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I use protein powder most days, maybe 4 or 5 days per week. They say taking it after a workout can help speed recovery, I don't know if that's true. I use it on days when I can't reach my protein goal, in my morning shake to help keep me fuller longer, and often after I lift in the evening. I use the GNC Amplified protein powders, because it's the brand I've found that I can pick up in the mall that has the highest protein per calorie ratio. One "serving" is 280 calories and 60 g protein, so 240 of those calories are all protein. Many protein powders do add a lot of carbs in so I think that's most important in choosing one. Also, one serving is three scoops, and I usually only do one in a day, occasionally two. I'm sure there are other people who have found better protein powders, but this one seems to work for me.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I use Veggie Protein and I LOVE it. I mix it with cashew milk. With the chocolate I like to add either a drop of peppermint, instant coffee or some almond butter. And the vanilla I love with orange which makes it like a cream cycle, lime makes it like key lime or fresh strawberries. It has 22g per scoop. It's been my favorite by far!
  • JimFsfitnesspal
    JimFsfitnesspal Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I agree with Emily about Body Fortress. I only do the creatine though. Most proteins (and the creatine) are terrible for your numbers... too many carbs and cals. The BF was great though as far as quantity for the price.