Changed my Macro allotment

Options
I read a report from the American Heart Association on how Americans eat way too much protein and the recommendation from the AHA was about 10% instead of MFPs default 20%.

Because of that and some other considerations, I changed my macros to 10% protein, 60% carbs and left the fat at 30%.

I never have problems with my fat macro - usually am under. But I'm having a heck of a time reducing my protein intake and getting enough carbs. I have a serious cheese habit - it's my go to snack. Knowing that, I long ago switched to fat free cheese, but that is very high in protein.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can increase my carb load healthily? I have discovered veggie sticks, which don't have fat and are whole grain and also a rice chip that's whole brown rice. Because I am also aiming at getting 50% of my carbs as complex.

Replies

• Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    I don't have a suggestion but I'm wondering if you could link to the report please? I'd love to look at it.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    It actually was in the personal training manual I'm studying right now to take my certification exam. But I'm sure you could find information on their recommendation by going to the AHA website.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Daiako wrote: »
    I don't have a suggestion but I'm wondering if you could link to the report please? I'd love to look at it.

10-35%

All this anti-protein stuff is slowly simmering under the radar. When you think about it, it's the only logical choice--we've already demonized the other two macros.

I was super-proud of myself for getting 81 grams today, that's an NSV to me.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I found the AHA article: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/More/MyHeartandStrokeNews/Protein-and-Heart-Health_UCM_434962_Article.jsp

It doesn't say 10%, it says 10-35% of your calories should be from protein (which is a reasonable figure).

They also state that high protein isn't actually a problem, it's that people who eat high protein tend to be taking in a lot of saturated fats from meat which they claim to be the actual issue at hand.

So in other words, a diet consisting of only 10% protein is kinda silly unless specifically ordered by someone qualified. For example, someone with kidney problems will probably be recommended a lower protein diet by a doctor.

ETA: and I got beat out by the person above me
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options

10-35%

All this anti-protein stuff is slowly simmering under the radar. When you think about it, it's the only logical choice--we've already demonized the other two macros.

I suspected something like this would be the answer, much appreciated (You too Dope. ;) )

I myself am around 25-30% for protein, usually (but as low as 20 on active days when I have more calories= more cookies=higher carbs) so I was curious about something suggesting such a lower amount.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options

10-35%

I suspected something like this would be the answer, much appreciated (You too Dope. ;) )

I myself am around 25-30% for protein, usually (but as low as 20 on active days when I have more calories= more cookies=higher carbs) so I was curious about something suggesting such a lower amount.

I, too, read this as a green light for a 70% cookie diet. Excuse me while I try to discreetly text a Girl Scout mom.
  • 47Jacqueline
    Options
    I, too, read this as a green light for a 70% cookie diet. Excuse me while I try to discreetly text a Girl Scout mom.

Ha ha :D Good points. I'm sticking with it for a while.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I would suggest you consider this, since you develop programs for the elderly:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18819733

These are minimum!

"The recommended dietary allowance (RDA) for protein, as promulgated by the Food and Nutrition Board of the United States National Academy of Science, is 0.8 g protein/kg body weight/day for adults, regardless of age. This value represents the minimum amount of protein required to avoid progressive loss of lean body mass in most individuals. There is an evidence that the RDA for elderly may be greater than 0.8 g/kg/day. Evidence indicates that protein intake greater than the RDA can improve muscle mass, strength and function in elderly. In addition, other factors, including immune status, wound healing, blood pressure and bone health may be improved by increasing protein intake above the RDA. Furthermore, the RDA does not address the recommended intake of protein in the context of a balanced diet. Concerns about potential detrimental effects of increased protein intake on bone health, renal function, neurological function and cardiovascular function are generally unfounded. In fact, many of these factors are improved in elderly ingesting elevated quantities of protein. It appears that an intake of 1.5 g protein/kg/day, or about 15-20% of total caloric intake, is a reasonable target for elderly individuals wishing to optimize protein intake in terms of health and function."

What matters is grams / day as % value may result in total value being quite low in someone eating well below 1800.
  • 47Jacqueline
    Options
    @EvgeniZyntx - Interesting. I don't call them "elderly" though. :)
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    @EvgeniZyntx - Interesting. I don't call them "elderly" though. :)

What do you call them? Seniors? Old farts? Endstagers? AARPers?

I need to know because I keep telling my father to get out more with his Omcas (old men complaining about something) and he prefers DWTHASTTC (dudes with their home address stapled to their clothes) but I can't pronounce that.

And I'm slowly but surely getting there. Or at least I hope so.
  • 47Jacqueline
    Options
    I call them "the over 55 population," of which I am one. I dare anyone to call me elderly to my face.