Do you switch MFP off on your birthday?

Options
Mine's tomorrow. I'm wondering what to arrange. I at last saw a pound off today!! It feels like the weight loss has been very very slow since October, though when I really analyse it I see I've lost 4 lb in Jan which is fantastic, especially as I'm 5ft 1/2 inch and my calories seldom go below 1800. But I think because I've only lost a stone (14lb) since last June the weight loss seems very tentative. I have lost three stone since starting in Nov 2013 though.

Anyway this pound off is so precious and has at last got me to a BMI of 25.0 - for which I could just fall on my knees in gratitude!

Tempted to largely ignore my birthday - what do you do?

Replies

• Vanilla_Lattes
    Vanilla_Lattes Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I overate but logged it
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Enjoy yourself. Log it.

One day will not change anything in the grand scheme of things.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Not had one yet - but I didn't on Christmas so can't see me not logging my birthday

you don't want to lose your streak do you (small things like that encourage me.. I'd hate to see it drop to 0)

• acmanna
    acmanna Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Go enjoy your birthday! But still log your food. It isn't a big deal if you go back up a little bit in weight for a day or two..it will come back down...don't worry. Happy Birthday!
  • Ooci
    Ooci Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    you don't want to lose your streak do you (small things like that encourage me.. I'd hate to see it drop to 0)

Would it be possible to gain 4 in a day?? It wouldn't, surely?

But the streak - yes, so good for self-belief that I might be able to get to goal!

acmanna wrote: »
    Go enjoy your birthday! But still log your food. It isn't a big deal if you go back up a little bit in weight for a day or two..it will come back down...don't worry. Happy Birthday!

Thanks!! I love fish - maybe I'll go to the best place for that round here.

• ilovesweeties
    ilovesweeties Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hi, I had a birthday about four months in, I had lost about 28 pounds at that point. I took a break from my deficit, but I didn't go as mad as I have in previous years. I think it is still important to enjoy the social and celebratory side of food, even when cutting calories, if that's what floats your boat.

I gained a couple of lbs in water weight (avoid having a takeaway if you don't want a water weight spike on the chart!), but they were gone, and more, once I got back to my deficit. The mozzarella sticks and cocktails were worth it though. I did the same over Christmas for about 10 days. I gained 7 lbs, about 3 of that was true gain. It was a little depressing, but I was expecting it. It really just inspired me to get back on track, rather than carry on destroying all my hard work.
  • cacri
    cacri Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I didn't switch MPF off. I overate but logged it and put it as a note that I knew I was overdoing the calories. One day of gluttony in a lifetime of healthy eating is not worth agonizing over... ;)
  • bethouiseevans
    bethouiseevans Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Its mine in 2 weeks :) I'm planning to log it and be aware but not worry if all my intake is on cake and chocolate that day haha
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I didn't log on my birthday. I share a birthday with my husband, and we had a family meal out at an Italian restaurant, and also had cake. I doubt I overate massively, and since I exercise so much and eat well the majority of the time, my weekly deficit will still have been good.

You only have one birthday a year!
  • maccarossi1
    maccarossi1 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Log it, it's hard to have a day that is that bad that would even ruin an entire week let alone do any damage to your loss, still have to have fun :)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I logged the best I could, because my birthday last year ended up being the day my brother got married. Enjoy yourself and get back to work the following day!
  • MarianneDarroch
    MarianneDarroch Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Mine is Friday so have the same dilemma, have decided to have a meal out and enjoy myself within reason and try and log as accurately as possible. I am also going to get a gym session in that morning to try and counter balance any potential damage :-)

However I figure it's only one day!
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    My birthday is a no log day - I check in to keep my streak but I eat what I want. Donuts at work, cake, dinners out. Doesn't count that day!
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    As long as you log into the website or app, you won't lose your streak.

I don't log on weekends and major holidays and that works for me. My husband's and my birthdays are major holidays for us. ;)
  • ladieofthebees
    ladieofthebees Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I ate what I wanted (within reason) but logged all the calories. Don't deprive yourself on your birthday - feeling deprived always breaks down my will power! Remember you've earned it :smile:
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I log everything every day. I like to have a complete record of what I'm doing, without holes for days that I exempted myself for a birthday or holidays.

As I've been on this site for almost two years, now it serves to provide me with perspective: what did i eat for my birthday last year? Christmas? I actually did a copy forward from Thanksgiving 2013 to 2014 because everything I ate was basically the same, and then tried to eat a little bit better. I think it is all about evolving, which is difficult to measure if you don't capture the data...
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your birthday. Log it. Get right back on track the next day. Drink plenty of water and don't weigh yourself for another week.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    It's up to you, but one reason to log though would be if you want to use a spreadsheet like the excel export tool to figure out your observed TDEE.
  • Paul_Collyer
    Paul_Collyer Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Depends where you are at in the process. In my first year or so I logged everything, including the biggest parties and binges, and it paid off as I lost the majority of my excess weight.

Since then, I tend to take one or two days off a week, and often go through a period without logging at all eg holidays, Xmas etc. As long as you watch your weight and eat sensibly most days it doesnt really do any harm, but it's easier to say that having lost most of the excess already!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Mine Bday is March 19 and I will be logging that day too.