Suggestions wanted for working out with two unsporty teenage boys!

Options
Hi
I really want to get my boys into fitness. They are not sporty. (Nor is my DH though getting him involved is a project too far ;) ) We go for a walk every weekend for a couple of hours and that's it. Apart from school games and PE that's all they do. One loves rugby but can only play it in season, and used to love martial arts but had to drop it when it clashed with his school schedule. The other has dyspraxia like me so isn't naturally agile at all.

What can we do as a family? Ball sports are out as two of us can't catch or hit straight. Anything else is a possibility.

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Biking would be great. We bike a lot in the summer as a family. We also run as a family. Geocaching is fun and hiking is good.
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Hi Omma,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes we do all like biking. We need to get the bikes out now the weather's finer and check them over. I love hiking too so might plan a few hikes. It's the challenge of getting them active in winter that's tough. We do stuff in summer more easily.

• BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    This may not work for your family, but when I was growing up I had to do something. My parents didn't care which sport it was, but I had to be doing some sort of physical activity. I was lucky that my two sports were year round, but they were non-conventional (horseback riding primarily and archery secondary). But I feel like as long as they know they must do something but they can choose they won't feel as pressured or feel like they are trapped. My parents also got involved in those activities not directly, but when I did archery they would come on the hikes with me (it was bowhunting) and they would help out at the barn.
  • alysme
    alysme Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    How about badminton or squash at the local leisure centre?
    Indoor climbing? Indoor snow sports?
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Snow shoeing? Swimming at the local pool?
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Winter activities that can be done as a family and don't involve hitting or throwing anything - Rock climbing (indoor in winter), ice skating, gymnastics -well, maybe not as a family ;), swimming, boxing, weight training, and maybe there's a different martial arts studio with a different schedule - judo, krav maga?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Frisbee
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Geocaching, swimming (you may have to buy a membership to a pool), hiking, biking, climbing (if there is opportunity to do it nearby either on actual rocks or at a gym), Frisbee,
    Wrestling (for the boys, not the entire family, that's kind of awkward), Golf, skating, skate boarding.....I dunno, just some suggestions.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I like the biking idea. It doesn't have to be far. Just get started. It has the advantage that it is not seen as a "jock" thing. Hipsters ride. Regular people ride. Everybody rides.
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies. Loads of ideas. I like the wrestling idea! They both love rugby tackles and scrums so wrestling would probably work for them. We'll get the bikes out this weekend too.