Should you work out while on a 1200 calorie diet??

Options
I am on a 1200 calorie a day diet and have been told you shouldn't workout while on this diet? I feel like I can loose more if I add in exercise! I love to be active! I have lost about 13 lbs so far in 22 day! Need to lose 25 more

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    edited February 2015
    Options
    With as little weight you have to lose, 1200 calories probably isn't right for you, especially if you are active. Also, if you follow MFP's structure, you are supposed to eat back exercise calories.

Another thing to consider is to follow the TDEE method (there are TDEE calories).
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Yes. Work out and eat back your exercise calories!
  • Fayeworth
    Fayeworth Posts: 60 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Of course you can exercise whilst on the 1200 diet but I strongly advise that you eat more calories on those days. It is recommended not to dip below 1200 so say you then go and burn 500 exercising, you're only actually eating 700 which is just not enough to give your body the energy/nutrients it needs. I have read many posts on this site and most say to eat back some, if not all, of your exercise calories. Hope this helps.
  • TiffKouns
    TiffKouns Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    That's another question I had do you eat back your exercise calories?
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    tkouns2015 wrote: »

Click the exercise tab at the top and search for the exercise you did and add it as you would add food. It'll add the calories to your total. Though some people prefer not to eat all their exercise calories back as machines and MFP tend to over estimate how many calories you burn.

Edit: Whoops I misread that as how do you eat back your exercise calories lol. Yes eat them back, or at least some of them.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Yes, if you follow MFP, you should eat back exercise calories. And with only 25lbs to lose, you should be aiming to lose 1lb per week. This will probably end up with around 1700 to 2100 calories (especially if you exercise 5 to 6 hours a week).

If you want, post your height, weight, age and workout routine and we can make a recommendation.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

yes eat back most or all your calories.
  • TiffKouns
    Options
    My age is 39 will be 40 first of April! I am 5'2 1/2 , weight right now is 149 I started at 162 my goal is 125 to 130! I love to fast walk outside or I go to the gym and do 30 mins cardio and then weights on all parts of the body on different days! Mostly I do cardio tho, gym days are few and far
  • 4bettermenow
    4bettermenow Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. I am at 1200 a day...5'2" and weigh currently 176. Down from 203. I workout 5 days a week, either walking or 30 day shred or both. I typically only eat back about half my exercise calories and it is all dependent on how hungry I am. I rarely go over 1200 net and when I do, its typically the week before TOM, when my body is just hungrier. I am satisfied at my calorie intake, but it took me a couple of months of playing with my intake to get it right for me. So, you find what works for you.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    My age is 39 will be 40 first of April! I am 5'2 1/2 , weight right now is 149 I started at 162 my goal is 125 to 130! I love to fast walk outside or I go to the gym and do 30 mins cardio and then weights on all parts of the body on different days! Mostly I do cardio tho, gym days are few and far
    How often do you go to the gym?
  • TiffKouns
    Options
    Everyone is different. I am at 1200 a day...5'2" and weigh currently 176. Down from 203. I workout 5 days a week, either walking or 30 day shred or both. I typically only eat back about half my exercise calories and it is all dependent on how hungry I am. I rarely go over 1200 net and when I do, its typically the week before TOM, when my body is just hungrier. I am satisfied at my calorie intake, but it took me a couple of months of playing with my intake to get it right for me. So, you find what works for you.

• TiffKouns
    Options
    I have never been over my 1200 calories yet
  • TiffKouns
    Options
    I have never been over my 1200 calories yet
    psulemon wrote: »
    How often do you go to the gym?

• TiffKouns
    Options
    I honestly go maybe once or twice a week , if it's nice outside I will walk about a 3 mile radius in the evenings! But if I don't get to walk I will go to the gym
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I would probably put you around 1300 to 1400 calories since you aren't overly too active. I would recommend macros around 40% carbs, 30% fats and proteins. If you want to increase calories, then all you need to do is average more exercise.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Yes. Work out and eat back your exercise calories!

This. Thank you. Close thread.

+ obligatory note that 1,200 is probably too low.
  • TiffKouns
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    I would probably put you around 1300 to 1400 calories since you aren't overly too active. I would recommend macros around 40% carbs, 30% fats and proteins. If you want to increase calories, then all you need to do is average more exercise.

• TiffKouns
    Options
    Awesome! Thank you so much!
  • TiffKouns
    Options
    Awesome! Thank you so much!