Muscle vs Fat

Options
1 lb of fat weighs the same as 1 lb of muscle. The difference is muscle is more dense than fat which means more volume of tissue. Moral of the story don't worry about the scale so much, use A tape measure around your waist, hips, in the morning once a week in the morning measure and track your losses.

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ummmm OK.....

are you just lecturing or is there some kind of a point/question???
  • katecm17
    katecm17 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I was just referencing my main point . I def don't wanna come off lecturing I'm sorry if I did... I just wanna help
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    katecm17 wrote: »
    1 lb of fat weighs the same as 1 lb of muscle. The difference is muscle is more dense than fat which means more volume of tissue.
    Your definition here makes it sound like there's more muscle volume than fat volume for the same amount of weight. I think you meant to say for the same amount of weight, there will be more FAT VOLUME than muscle volume.
    Scientifically in weights and measures, one compares volume of a material vs another to check for weight and density. So a liter of muscle does weigh more than a liter of fat.
    The whole "muscle weighs more than fat" gets chucked around basically so that people don't feel bad if they aren't losing weight. The reality is that if one is losing weight, the chances of adding muscle in calorie deficit is improbable.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• beautychicks01
    Options
    Thanks katecm17 I needed to read this this morning. The scale haven't moved.