Not seeing results

I have been on 1200(ish) calories a day for the past 7 weeks doing at least one workout most days from a fitness dvd I bought. I have lost about 10lbs in total but haven't seen any visible results from measurements etc. Now I am not losing the pounds either and I am not sure whether I need to be more strict with the 1200 calorie limit or whether I should increase exercise. Any ideas for any exercises I could do to help me lose the inches and see some general progress with my weight loss?

Replies

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    I have been on 1200(ish) calories a day for the past 7 weeks doing at least one workout most days from a fitness dvd I bought. I have lost about 10lbs in total but haven't seen any visible results from measurements etc. Now I am not losing the pounds either and I am not sure whether I need to be more strict with the 1200 calorie limit or whether I should increase exercise. Any ideas for any exercises I could do to help me lose the inches and see some general progress with my weight loss?

The first weight you drop is mostly water weight, and no, it doesn't usually bring much in the way of visual changes in appearance.

Losing weight is a gradual, slow process. It's simply too early for you to be expecting massive changes. Keep at it, you will get where you want to be.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    If you aren't getting results then it's very likely you aren't really eating as few calories, or burning as many calories, as you think you are. Weight loss is calories in vs. calories out; there's no one exercise that's going to give you better results than another for losing pounds.

Do you own a kitchen scale? Are you measuring your food portions? Are you choosing food entries that are accurate? Are you using a heart rate monitor to measure your exercise calories? If no, are you eating back only some of the calories that MFP is telling you that you burned in exercise? If the answer to these are "no", you should consider them.
  • katiepoulter95
    katiepoulter95 Posts: 3 Member
    I don't weigh my food, most of what i eat in the day except dinner is packet food eg cereal bars, yogurts so I just scan them. I dont log my exercise either as i dont know exactly how much I burn and i dont want to eat back the calories i burnt

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,905 Member
    I don't weigh my food, most of what i eat in the day except dinner is packet food eg cereal bars, yogurts so I just scan them. I dont log my exercise either as i dont know exactly how much I burn and i dont want to eat back the calories i burnt
    Then it's more than likely you're eating more than you need to. Pretty much guaranteed you're eating more then 1200 (although so many here believe that's the "number" needed to lose weight).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    7 weeks 10 lbs is an ok rate of loss. It's hard sometimes to see a 10 lb loss. Keep at it and you will see a difference in the next 10 lbs.

Log accurately- you were missing some logging in the last week-unless you really just ate 500 calories one day.

Take your measurements as well and see if they are changing.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    When I started I dropped a few pounds, stalled where the scale wasn't moving, found a couple days later that my pants were getting baggy. For me I stall on the scale for 7-10 days, drop inches then after a couple of days, wham the scale is down 2-4 pounds. Then repeat, that is what has occurred during the entire 29 pounds that I have lost. I didn't "notice" weight drop until I hit 15 pounds, and even then where I could see it was my collarbone and shoulders (um really it couldn't be my stomach?). I would make sure your logging is tight, but give it a another week or two before and results may "appear out of the blue".