Lifted too much

Options
Hello, this may sound bizarre but I started at a new gym and started a lifting program (New Rules of Lifting). I have previously done Body Pump so lifting isn't new to me. But I had never used a women's Olympic bar so I didn't take this weight into consideration. I also never noticed the weights were in Kg's instead of lbs until the end of my second set of squats. I know, you must be thinking 'How did you NOT notice you doubled your weights' but I think it was a mixture of joining a new gym, with new people, I'm quite a shy person and not overly confident and my brain must have just not registered.
SO my question is, I know for a fact my legs are going to be in a lot of pain tomorrow and I wondered if anyone has any post-workout hints or tips lowering the amount of pain I am going to be in tomorrow. I have already eaten as much protein as I dare and well as a protein shake and I know to drink plenty of water but i didn't know if anyone had any other ideas?
Obviously this is going to be a painful lesson learnt for next time, I already feel stupid for making such a silly mistake, please be gentle. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Use the muscles as much as you can. Stretch them, foam roll them, walk them. They get sore when they tighten up, so try to keep them loose as much as possible. Even tomorrow if/when they are sore, stretch them, roll them, use them.
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    :star: will do! before bed and when I wake up plus all in between.

Thank you!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Use the muscles as much as you can. Stretch them, foam roll them, walk them. They get sore when they tighten up, so try to keep them loose as much as possible. Even tomorrow if/when they are sore, stretch them, roll them, use them.

Pranercise is a good way to loosen up.

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    If you were able to do that much weight over your normal routine, you probably weren't lifting as much as you should have been under that program.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    I have previously done Body Pump so lifting isn't new to me. :

I hate to sound like a dick but this made me laugh pretty hard.

I wouldn't really call body pump lifting as much as I would call it cardio/endurance work.
    Lifting for strength is new to you. That's why you are so sore. Just roll with it. It'll get easier as you gain experience and get stronger. I like to soak in a hot bath before stretching/foam rolling when I get super sore.

• Lois_1989
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    If you were able to do that much weight over your normal routine, you probably weren't lifting as much as you should have been under that program.

To be honest, I was surprised I managed to finish it! I totaled it up to squatting about 44lbs (20Kg) which I would NEVER think that I could do. Depending on the pain tomorrow I might be convinced to continue with it. I'm just nervous about waking up tomorrow :persevere:
  • Lois_1989
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Lofteren wrote: »
    I have previously done Body Pump so lifting isn't new to me. :

I hate to sound like a dick but this made me laugh pretty hard.

I wouldn't really call body pump lifting as much as I would call it cardio/endurance work.
    Lifting for strength is new to you. That's why you are so sore. Just roll with it. It'll get easier as you gain experience and get stronger. I like to soak in a hot bath before stretching/foam rolling when I get super sore.

I meant that as in the techniques of lifting and stuff, but I get what you mean. I'll admit I've never done strong lifts, I know it is heavier and less reps I didn't mean for it to be THAT heavier :smile:
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I did my first day of NROLFW on Monday, and my quads are killing me!!! :s Ouch. Day 2 will be tomorrow. I did walk yesterday for 45 minutes, had hoped that would loosen them up but they are still just as tight today. My plan was NROLFW with some walking and one day of Cardio (Wednesdays, so today). I haven't decided if I can keep that plan or not, not sure if my legs are up to Zumba for an hour tonight or not. Heaven help me if there are any squats tonight!
  • Lois_1989
    Options
    I did my first day of NROLFW on Monday, and my quads are killing me!!! :s Ouch. Day 2 will be tomorrow. I did walk yesterday for 45 minutes, had hoped that would loosen them up but they are still just as tight today. My plan was NROLFW with some walking and one day of Cardio (Wednesdays, so today). I haven't decided if I can keep that plan or not, not sure if my legs are up to Zumba for an hour tonight or not. Heaven help me if there are any squats tonight!

Ah, I intend on lifting Mon, Wed and Fri and swim Thurs and Sunday. I will definitely be swimming tomorrow and then I'll see how it goes. Out of curiosity how much do you lift on squats? Just so I can gauge myself. I am thinking 20kgs is a bit too much, to start with anyway. Lol
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    :p Body weight :p

Beginner here!!

edited to add:
    My plan is NROLFW Mon, Thurs, Sat., Walk Tuesday, Friday, and Zumba Wednesday. Sundays off most weeks.
  • smalltown_princess
    smalltown_princess Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm back squatting around 200 but I want to get up to 300 soooo bad
  • Lois_1989
    Options

WHAT! Ok... so maybe I should be starting at 20Kg? Or more? You lady have baffled me. 200?! I think I'm going about this the wrong way. What did you start on?
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Doesn't New Rules program weight for you? If not, start with the bar. Get your form down, then do small increments of weight each week.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options

WHAT! Ok... so maybe I should be starting at 20Kg? Or more? You lady have baffled me. 200?! I think I'm going about this the wrong way. What did you start on?

20kg (44 lb) is a good place to start because it is the weight of a standard (7 foot) Olympic bar.
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I started squatting with the empty (45 lb) bar and added 5 lbs at a time. You'll catch on fast, but do focus on good form.
  • Lois_1989
    Options
    Doesn't New Rules program weight for you? If not, start with the bar. Get your form down, then do small increments of weight each week.

Yea, that's what he suggests. But as I wasn't a novice I thought I would start with some extra weight. But I haven't 'lifted' weights for about a year, so I was trying to take into account loss of strength, which apparently wasn't much to start with, going by how much @smalltown_princess can squat. Lol I feel like a massive wuss now.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    But I had never used a women's Olympic bar

That makes you a novice, at least in terms of this type of lifting.

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

Pranercise is a good way to loosen up.
    Keeps me loose.

OP should go for a jog in the morning.
    Dems gams gunna bark.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

You should be following your program as it is written.
  • Lois_1989
    Options

20kg (44 lb) is a good place to start because it is the weight of a standard (7 foot) Olympic bar.

Okay, so I have to man up basically... that's an insight right there. lol