How do I calculate kcals burned from heart rate?

Options
smalltown_princess
smalltown_princess Posts: 155 Member
edited February 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm sure that I could just Google this but I trust you guys more than Google.
I just bought the heart rate monitor that syncs with my Garmin vivofit. I know that when you use heart rate to calculate calories burned it's more accurate and I'm all about accuracy.
Does anyone know the formula?

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    There is no "formula" per se. There a different algorithms built into different HRMs and there are some websites that feature other calculations. But they all suffer from the same limitations: interpersonal HR variability and the numerous conditions (thermal stress, resistance training, arm work, etc, etc, etc, etc) that distort the HR/VO2 relationship that exists during steady-state aerobic exercise.

Unfortunately, the idea that "when you use HR to calculate calories, it's more accurate" just isn't true in many/most cases.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Garmin will automagically estimate calories expended based on the HR data that the Vivofit collects. It'll then synch that as a generic exercise, so you'll need to then post facto edit the title.

That said, the accuracy of that estimation varies depending on the type of exercise that you're doing, and how stable your HR remains within the aerobic range. Essentially pick a random number as indicated by Azdak above.

It's really simple, my own Garmin will synch with MFP while I'm updating my training log.