Workouts for the Obese

Options
2»

Replies

• Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    First, thanks for all the suggestions everyone! And the encouragement. It means a lot.

@Louis_1989, believe it or not I actually LOVE swimming and I wish I had access to a pool! Once summer rolls around, I'm hitting the beach as often as I can. But for now, there's about a foot of snow outside and I'd rather not be out there at all if I can help it

Ah that sucks! Swimming is what really got me going. I strained my Achilles last summer and all I could do was swim for 6 months which was why I was forced into the swimsuit. I've just started (attempting) New Rules of Lifting For Women...I still have work to do but I'm going to keep going! All of the above are sounding like good options to me. Keep it at your own ability and work upwards. Always upwards and never look down.
  • JoseCastaneda
    JoseCastaneda Posts: 245 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    A simple solution. Start to walk. 20, 30 minutes daily. If you can swim, do it. But start to walk, that will take you to new levels where you can exercise more. I can tell you from my own experience, I started walking, and I couldn't do anything else. I now run, bicycle, lift, swim, and of course, I still walk :) Best of luck!
  • bkthandler
    bkthandler Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    There is a plus sized oga DVD called "Just My Size Yoga" with Meghan Garcia. Check amazon I think she has at least one other. While you are on Amazon check out Debra Mazda...she does several "plus size" workout DVDs.

Leslie is great but can be a little perky...if perky isn't an issue for you there is always Richard Simmons.
  • HEALTHY_TEMPLE
    Options
    I recently found exercise videos for the obese on youtube by a gentleman called Rob G. You might check them out. :) Best wishes.
  • PAtinCO
    PAtinCO Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Just to echo several others on this thread, I was 275 about 2.5 years ago and now I'm at about 180. Most of that I lost just by walking and eating better. Like you I was concerned with injuring myself or getting discouraged by not being able to do exercises. In the first 5 months I lost over 70 lbs and went from being tired after a one mile walk to climbing 14,000 foot mountains in the Rockies.

Just start slow, walk as far as you can each day and try to add both distance and speed. If you can find time, take more than one walk a day. Count your calories on the MFP app and don't try to over-think it. Once you get to a better weight you might find that you'll just naturally want to do more exercises. Nothing creates success like success so just try to do things you can build on and don't overdo it.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Do you like to swim? Seriously. When I got started as an Adult Onset Fitness Swimmer, I could do like maybe 12 lengths in a non-competition-approved breast stroke. It helped build my fitness wonderfully, though, because it was easy on the joints and my body fat levels meant I was GREAT at floating when I needed to rest.

I swam nearly a mile this morning, and am unlikely ever to go back to landlubber exercises if I can avoid it.

FWIW, I'm a size 22, so one of those sleek dolphins, I ain't!
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    I'm obese and I like cycling and swimming. I find both very 'low impact' and my lack of flexibility and strength doesn't get in the way. Plus, they're both exercises you can build up to. Start with 10 minutes, next time 15 minutes, then 20 minutes, etc.
  • lovesretirement
    lovesretirement Posts: 2,661 Member
    Options
    I know it's already been mentioned, but Leslie Sansone DVDs is a great way to begin. Very basic walking in your own home. She has a ton of them. I just purchased one that has 10 minute walks that you can mix and match. You can turn her perkiness off and just have the music! I purchased from Amazon and you can also get them at collage video.com.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Is there a gym with your college? What about stationary bike?