Exercise calories?

Options
Are you supposed to eat these back ? Sorry if this has been asked before I am just a bit unsure about that

Replies

• Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    If you are using a calorie goal given by MFP yes you should be eating your exercise calories back. There is a catch 22 here that MFP tends to overestimate calories burned on exercises (if you using a HRM that's different), so while yes you should be eating the calories back if your using MFP burn estimates, only eat about 50-75% of them back
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    If you are using a calorie goal given by MFP yes you should be eating your exercise calories back. There is a catch 22 here that MFP tends to overestimate calories burned on exercises (if you using a HRM that's different), so while yes you should be eating the calories back if your using MFP burn estimates, only eat about 50-75% of them back

^^This, especially in your case with only a few pounds to go.
  • kaylalabear
    Options
    I personally wouldn't.
  • deaniac83
    deaniac83 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    YES. If you are using MFP's calorie goal, absolutely eat back your exercise calories. If you don't, you are in essence starving yourself. Your body needs the calories not only to make sure that your weight loss is healthy but also to keep (or get) in shape. And by 'in shape', I mean in good functioning condition. If you deprive yourself of that extra food your body needs, you will burn fewer and fewer calories during your exercise and/or they will get more and more tiring instead of invigorating.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't.

Care to expound?
  • many_splendored
    many_splendored Posts: 113 Member
    Options

Amanda's hit it on the head. 50%-75% of your exercise calories are probably good - and you can use that other 25% as "insurance" just in case you're still hungry.
  • erialcelyob
    erialcelyob Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I calculated mine on www.iifym.com and that was saying I done no activity, as I wasn't sure how consistent my workouts would be. That way I can decide myself if I want to
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    when you use MFP, you are suppose to. The calorie goal it sets for you is not based on any exercise, it set for you as if you were doing none. So if you do exercise you are suppose to account for those burns and that is why it gets added to your calories you can eat. If you use another method, like TDEE, your workouts are included in your calorie goal and you do not eat those back.