What do I do?!?!?

Options
2»

Replies

• Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I would probably choose the low cal option but only because I'm still at the beginning of my last weight loss journey. But I absolutely agree you should just have it if you want and enjoy every single bite guilt free if you do :D. You might skip the fries and ask for veggies/salad instead, or try to work in the extra calories over the next few days. Maybe, if you're stomach has shrunk like mine, you're going to get full before you make your way through half of it anyway ❤ Have fun!
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever you want as long as you log it honestly and enjoy every bite. You are an adult and you can decide whether to stick with your weight loss goals for the day or take a break. In a few weeks, if you're not losing, you can look back at your diary and at least you'll understand why. That's a huge benefit at that beginning of your journey.

During your meal, really think about whether or not you're full. If you are, stop eating. You may find you don't need all of it to feel satisfied. Last week I went out to a "special" dinner at a restaurant I've been wanting to try for years. The food was delicious (and expensive) and I left half of it on my plate anyway. I was full, and eating more wouldn't have benefitted me in any way.

It's better to lose more slowly and stick with it than to give up because you feel deprived. Once you start making better choices on a regular basis (and seeing results!) you won't mind so much giving up the occasional treats. Or you'll find you don't have to, or maybe you'll find something else to give up instead. Or maybe you'll find that you prefer to eat like you always have, but exercise more to "earn" more calories. It's a process.

Have fun with your friend.
  • katied75
    katied75 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    This thread has been interesting because it shows how many different approaches there are for weight loss. For a meal like that I eat super healthy during the day, skip snacks, and eat a reasonable portion of the splurge meal. I might go over the day by a couple hundred calories but nothing that a decent workout won't handle. I am not deprived and if I'm lucky, I will have leftover meal to bring home (although sometimes it is just easier to not have leftovers in the house).
  • kellycasey5
    kellycasey5 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    If you are anything like me, you will have been logging and choosing meals very carefully and choose exactly what you think you want for a tasty meal out with a friend. I went with a cheeseburger, fries, and diet coke 2 weeks ago and felt VERY awful for the rest of the day and most of the night (my poor tummy don't get me started).

I'd learn from me and get the lighter fit meal. Something that won't hurt your belly or ruin the calorie bank. You will still enjoy an evening out with a friend, you won't have to cook, you'll stay on goal, and you might find a dish that you like more than your Tangler burger.
  • pwatol
    pwatol Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I'd see about subbing mashed or roasted potatoes for the fries and just enjoy it. Then again, I took some friends or to lunch today at a place I'd never been before and ordered the mountain of meat (which was every bit as wonderful as it sounds) and ate myself to the edge of sick. I had to use some major WAGs to log it, but I'd been eating under goal all week so it worked out just fine (and I'm still full 12 hours later so I didn't have to log dinner today).
  • jenmovies
    jenmovies Posts: 346 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I agree to focus on the catch up, and not the meal. Either order your usual without coke (go water!) and eat only half, or order the light meal. Either way, don't think about the food, or what you are missing out on. Think about your friend.

What I usually do on days where I know I'll be having one high calorie meal, is eat light during the day, get a workout in and then just enjoy my meal. Maybe you can do this for next time.

Good luck! :D
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I know this is late in posting but what about eating 1/2 the burger and instead of ordering fries, ask to swap it out for a side salad or fruit.
    That way you can feel good about having eaten healthier than you would've in the past!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    It's going to put you over by 900 calories. 900 freakin' calories.

No. It isn't worth it. You either want to do this and accept some sacrifices or you will stay fat. Pick one.

I tend to agree with this.

Isn't Perkin's kind of like a Denny's or Sheri's? Not worth the splurge.
  • JTulachka143
    JTulachka143 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your feedback. It is definitely interesting to hear everyone's feedback. So here is the update. I splurged and I splurged BIG (like I said no self control yet when faced with such delicious temptation). I order the tangler burger with fries and a side of honey mustard. I also split an amazingly delicious chocolate peanut butter muffin. While I was visiting with my friend and eating my meal I was enjoying ever aspect of the conversation and the food. After I left the restaurant though I felt bloated, gross, and sad. But I did not let that feeling over take me. Instead of doing my usual and becoming depressed I decided to go home and walk 3 powerwalk miles. I ended up closing out the day 873 calories over. Nothing to brag about but considering what I had just eaten I wasnt to upset. I continued to make up for it the next day by only eating 1100 calories. Yesterday sucked. I was starving- only having 1100 calories made me realize that over indulging IS SO NOT WORTH IT. I worked about again last night and made up my deficient. So I am back on track. I am also proud to say that today is my weigh in day and I am down another 2.3 pounds from last week. Guess the dinner didn't do to much damage that way. Long story short- I learned my lesson and a bit more about self control. Next month healthy choice all the way- its not worth the pain of not eating the right amount to make up for it.

Thanks again for all of your help!!!
  • CariJean64
    CariJean64 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Our weight-loss journeys are made up of these kinds of learning experiences.
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you enjoyed your visit with your friend! Just think how impressed she's going to be next month when you can share a few more pounds lost and she see's you making GREAT food choices o:)
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the update. I read the thread with extreme interest, too, and wondered what you would do. I am glad that the big supper didn't do damage and that you learned some things about yourself.
  • turkeytrotter
    turkeytrotter Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Can you eat half your normal meal? That's generally what I do. Food I love, just less of it.

If you don't think you can do half, I'd go with the lighter option and just plan next month's dinner out ahead of time so I can have what I want.

It's entirely up to you though - you could eat at a bigger deficit for the rest of the week to make up those 874 calories, too. Or exercise them off. Of just say screw it and enjoy yourself.

Have fun!

I agree. I order what I want and then apply some portion control. I either split is with a friend or take it home and have it for another 1 or 2 meals.