No idea how to start lifting - help?!

Options
2»

Replies

• ChristineDiet
    ChristineDiet Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I haven't done this but I'm going to start this: Strength Training workout (dumbbells): http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dumbbell-only-home-or-gym-fullbody-workout.html I found it in one of the forums and saved it on my profile for future reference.

good luck. x
  • mink63
    mink63 Posts: 35
    Options
    Jillian Michael's 30 day shred incorporates both strength and cardio although it isn't really "lifting" per say... It sure does work though...

That's what I've been thinking! I started it once but never got past level one because I went on vacation blah blah blah and fell off the wagon. I think I'm gonna read up on lifting and all the wonderful things you guys have suggested and after the 30DS I'll start more strength training. Thanks!
    Cs x
    this is fine, and works for some people, but high rep programs don't build or keep muscle. 20 + reps is cardio.

Katy is right. Jullian michaels is circuit training with low weights high reps. You will lose fat, but you will not gain muscle. If you want muscle lift heavy weights with low reps. I use jm for cardio...
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    it's not the building muscle that causes us to hold onto water weight. this can happen if we are building muscle or not, and lifting in a deficit, we are not building muscle, we are simple keeping what we have. We are holding onto water to repair the muscles.
    We tear the muscles during the workout, and rebuild them during rest.

I don't disagree, but correct me if I'm wrong. I'm under the impression people with a lot of weight to lose can build some muscle and still lose weight ... at first. The diet has to be smart, and it's not sustainable long-term, but it does happen.

Either way, I don't think the bottom line changes: the OP should know that she might be burning more fat than the scale is showing.

it is still debatable if it can happen, and how much muscle growth there would be. there are no studies to back it up.
    for the average overweight person, it's not likely. In the case of the OP it's difficult to measure BF%, so it would be difficult to measure the muscle growth. Just focus on keeping consistent with training, eating within your macros and calories, and recovery. REST is often over looked, but that is when we rebuild our muscle.
  • ayankeefan51
    ayankeefan51 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    +1
  • HikeThatMountain
    Options
    thanks for posting and thanks to all who answered!
  • nicola1812
    nicola1812 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    bump