Eating back your calories

Options
I see a lot of people who say they don't eat back the calories they burn from exercise. I'm wondering - HOW DO YOU DO IT??? I find I'm way too hungry after exercising to not refuel. I've been losing about 1lb/week, so I'm not necessarily looking to lose more than that, but I'm just wondering what people do, other than maybe drinking more water.

Tips? Experiences?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I always ate back most of mine. I wouldn't have been able to keep up the workouts if not.
    How many calories are you eating per day and are you losing at the rate you are set to?
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    For me, it depends on the type and intensity of exercise.

Swim? Eat the house...then go grocery shopping specifically for more food to eat that day. Weights? Eat the house. Intervals/speedwork? Eat the house. Long bike ride? Eat the house. Long run? Bit of a grace period...then I eat the house.

Easy run? Short bike ride? Walking? Hiking? Soccer or racquetball game? No appetite boost.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I usually eat half back. Just depends how hungry I am. I will not starve. NEVER.
  • Deedee1111111
    Deedee1111111 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I always ate back most of mine. I wouldn't have been able to keep up the workouts if not.
    How many calories are you eating per day and are you losing at the rate you are set to?

My goal is 1200, but with exercise it ends up being about 2000. I'm definitely losing at a comfortable rate.
  • shraniken
    shraniken Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I did for a long time, but the calories I spend exercising were just never really enough to concern myself with, and also hard to gauge.

• arditarose
    Options

My goal is 1200, but with exercise it ends up being about 2000. I'm definitely losing at a comfortable rate.

If you're burning that much in exercise, you should be eating your calories back. You never want to be getting less than 1200 calories. What kind of exercise are you doing to get that burn?
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I have not noticed any connection between exercise and hunger.

I would imagine I would be equally hungry if I sat still and drank water as I am if I exercised for an hour and a half and drank water
  • Deedee1111111
    Options

If you're burning that much in exercise, you should be eating your calories back. You never want to be getting less than 1200 calories. What kind of exercise are you doing to get that burn?

I do hot power or flow yoga, and i walk a LOT with my pup, to work, grocery store, etc...
  • arditarose
    Options

I do hot power or flow yoga, and i walk a LOT with my pup, to work, grocery store, etc...

Okay, that seems like a high estimate. Are you set to sedentary?
  • Deedee1111111
    Options

Yes. I work a desk job, so I put it to sedentary. Should I change it? I am still learning how this system works!
  • arditarose
    edited February 2015
    Options

Yes. I work a desk job, so I put it to sedentary. Should I change it? I am still learning how this system works!

Well, you could set it to lightly active. Then the exercise from walking your dog and to work would become park of your lifestyle, and any other extra calories from exercise you could eat back. In this case, you would probably be less hungry because MFP will give you more calories to work with. If you do it, just be sure you are weighing your food on a food scale and logging precisely, because you will be consuming more than what you are now...and if you aren't extremely accurate now, you might wipe out your deficit. Regardless of how you decide to do it, I hope you find the best way in order to stop you from being so hungry.
  • Deedee1111111
    Options

Well, you could set it to lightly active. Then the exercise from walking your dog and to work would become park of your lifestyle, and any other extra calories from exercise you could eat back. In this case, you would probably be less hungry because MFP will give you more calories to work with. If you do it, just be sure you are weighing your food on a food scale and logging precisely, because you will be consuming more than what you are now...and if you aren't extremely accurate now, you might wipe out your deficit. Regardless of how you decide to do it, I hope you find the best way in order to stop you from being so hungry.

Perfect! Thanks for the advice. I just got a scale last week, and I've started to weigh everything instead of using measuring cups.
  • pap3rw1ngs
    pap3rw1ngs Posts: 58 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I generally work out before breakfast so I eat shortly after anyway but the exercise I currently do (speedwalking and cardio at the gym) doesn't increase my appetite. I'm considering switching to TDEE at some point soon for that reason.