Tough Mudder Question

Options
Well a few actually.

First, is three months a good amount of training time? My fitness level is.....intermediate I'd say.
Next, what's the most effective way to train?
Finally, am I nuts?

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    It can be

Trail running, grip strength training, general strength training, endurance training.

Yes. You're already dead. I've been dead since last October and I plan to die some more in August. Straight cray.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Depends. We had someone in the UK TM that had done no training. None. She survived but was miserable and got injured.
    That's not the objective.

Make sure you have a good team.
    Get your running in. A progressive run level to at least 8km runs.
    Work on upper body and grip strength. Flexibility and balance.

Have fun. (We are all a little crazy) don't listen to the nay sayers.

Which one are you doing?
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Depends. We had someone in the UK TM that had done no training. None. She survived but was miserable and got injured.
    That's not the objective.

Make sure you have a good team.
    Get your running in. A progressive run level to at least 8km runs.
    Work on upper body and grip strength. Flexibility and balance.

Have fun. (We are all a little crazy) don't listen to the nay sayers.

Which one are you doing?

I'm thinking about this one. http://www.mudrunguide.com/event/san-antonio-texas-gladiator-rock-n-run-2015/

Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it.
    Daiako wrote: »
    It can be

Trail running, grip strength training, general strength training, endurance training.

Yes. You're already dead. I've been dead since last October and I plan to die some more in August. Straight cray.

Love it - thank you!
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Finally, am I nuts?

Yes. You're looking too good these days to get all muddied up in some mud race.

Train for a competition that doesn't involve mud maybe.

I think I'll look even better muddy and successful :)
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    practice your burpees too, then, as that race has penalties for failing or skipping an obstacle.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Ok, that's a bit less crazy. It apparently 5km and not the usual TM distance (11-13 miles) so running level may be a little lower. Again, do it with a team, some obstacles are just awful alone.

It seems to have a more "run" and compete style.
  • rachsoderberg
    rachsoderberg Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    practice your burpees too, then, as that race has penalties for failing or skipping an obstacle.
    Actually no penalty burpees in Tough Mudder, you're thinking of Spartan Race.

And yes you're a little crazy, but the reason I love obstacle races is that they give me a tangible goal to train for rather than simply working out for the sake of working out. I certainly recommend increasing your running each week by a little bit until you are pretty comfortable running several miles (you don't need to be comfortable with running the whole distance, as the obstacles tend to break up the running pretty nicely). Otherwise, like someone else said, work on things like pull ups, jumping, balance, and carrying heavy objects. If you have a wall you can practice climbing around home that's ~8ft tall, that skill will be invaluable to you.

Good luck out there, you're going to have a blast!
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    Actually no penalty burpees in Tough Mudder, you're thinking of Spartan Race.

And yes you're a little crazy, but the reason I love obstacle races is that they give me a tangible goal to train for rather than simply working out for the sake of working out. I certainly recommend increasing your running each week by a little bit until you are pretty comfortable running several miles (you don't need to be comfortable with running the whole distance, as the obstacles tend to break up the running pretty nicely). Otherwise, like someone else said, work on things like pull ups, jumping, balance, and carrying heavy objects. If you have a wall you can practice climbing around home that's ~8ft tall, that skill will be invaluable to you.

Good luck out there, you're going to have a blast!

She's not actually planning to do a TM tho...so yes penalty burpees.

For which I'm outoutout.
  • rachsoderberg
    rachsoderberg Posts: 55 Member
    Options

My apologies, I guess I missed that glancing through the comments. The post was called Tough Mudder Question, so I figured it was a safe assumption.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options

My apologies, I guess I missed that glancing through the comments. The post was called Tough Mudder Question, so I figured it was a safe assumption.

That was my original thought, but I'm open to other obstacle courses, too. Truthfully I don't know much about this stuff :)
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options

That was my original thought, but I'm open to other obstacle courses, too. Truthfully I don't know much about this stuff :)

I'm starting with a warrior dash. It seems to be the baby pansy version of obstacle racing.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Well a few actually.

First, is three months a good amount of training time? My fitness level is.....intermediate I'd say.
    Finally, am I nuts?

Generally, yes, going from intermediate level you should be okay to complete a tough mudder. The obstacles are a bit different this year, so realize there are physical and mental challenges. Some might just be beyond you (I couldn’t complete the rings the last time). But failing the obstacles doesn’t prevent you from moving on and completing the challenge.

You should be able to run at least 8 miles in a training run, so work up to that. Most of the running will be run, stop, wait, obstacle, run, obstacle, run, wait, obstacle, etc. The longest we ran on the one I did was about 2 miles.

Work on upper body strength, particularly the pull-up. A lot of the climbing will require you to use your upper body to control yourself as you use your legs to get up. If you can practice climbing (mountain climbing walls), that should help.

Go with a team, if you can. Everyone on the course is committed to helping everyone else make it (best humans I’ve every been around). So, you’ll have tons of people around who will assist as needed.

Go in with fun and safety in mind. Enjoy, challenge yourself, win!

Edit: since this is 5K and not 12+ miles, the running probably won’t be a big deal. I don’t know much about that mud run, but it is still probably a good thing to have a team, work on upper body strength, and have fun.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I'm running a true Tough Mudder in September, however it will be my first so we will see how my training actually works out.
    I am currently working out 5 days a week.
    I run for 2 of those days. Working on building up my distances. Today was my longest run so far and was a hair under 7 km's (including warm up, cool down, and my 1 min walks breaking up my run intervals which are usually around 15 mins) at a pace of 5.0. I do think I'd like to add in another day of running. I'm currently on a treadmill, both because it's cold out and because I was gonna build up some stamina on a treadmill before moving outside. I will need to run outside to get used to running on varied terrains. I think I'd like to get to at least 10-12kms runs.
    I then do 3 days of the recommended Tough Mudder circuit training. You can download this for free from the Tough Mudder website. I'm terribly out of shape so I'm only doing the easiest one yet. Hoping to make it to the hardest one before the actual 'race'.
    I only have one other person on my team which is a bit of a bummer (the rest of my friends/family are either cheap, or wusses) but will make do. I don't think he's training as hard as I am, but he's a guy and in a bit better shape to start than I am so will probably be ok.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Obstacle Course Racing is AMAZING. Its as much mental as it is physical (especially longer races). I've seen all shapes and sizes finish 14 mile ones. So you should totally do it even if you only have 3months to train! You will have a blast. If you have the right attitude of course. Definitely do trail running. Work on overall strength training. If you don't have upper body strength to get over walls or through monkey bars you can easily find some assistance. Or you fail and move on. Sometimes you have to do penalty burpees or what have you. But those are fun and not enforced (unless ur elite), but highly recommended to do!

There is the slightest chance you will regret doing it. I promise!!!
  • subversive99
    subversive99 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Well a few actually.

Finally, am I nuts?

This is a goal of mine too, to complete one (and then more, duh) of these types of things. Goal 1, complete a pullup! (I have a ways to go yet...)

• WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    78 days until my Tough Mudder! I am currently running at least 2/3 times a week, trying to schedule longer runs on the weekend, and strength training 2/3 days a week as well.

I know I need to pump it up, but I'm also taking the training slow. I am a huge offender of 'too much too fast' and end up with injuries, so make sure that's not you!
  • ldeoprecor
    ldeoprecor Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Three months is plenty of time to try for any race (even Tough Mudder).

I am running the Tough Mudder in AZ this year (3rd time) and in 3 months, have trained to the point where I will be able to run it at an 8 minute mile. It really just boils down to having a good running schedule and sticking to it.

If you combine that with body weight resistance work, you'll be fine. Even if you only have one teammate, there are always people who you've never seen before who will give you a helping hand (if needed).
  • bonniele
    bonniele Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Did this for the first time last year. My daughter and I did Warrior Dash to celebrate my big 5 Oh. What a rush! You don't have to run during WD but, in training, it will build your endurance. My advice - arms, arms and more arms. If you have access to an assisted dip/pull up machine that helped me a lot. Two tips: 1. If you ever get to use a rope to climb a wall, get your feet as close to your hands as you can. Watch Spider Man scale a building. 2. Wear fingerless gloves. I took a pair of garden gloves and cut the fingers out half way. You hard core folks might call this cheating but it saved my hands from looking like hamburger. Doing the Savage Run in June & totally psyched!! Do not hesitate to do this. If I can do it, anyone can!!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    So this is the 5k marathon Tough Mudder?
  • Pandapotato
    Pandapotato Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Yeah a tough mudder you would NOT do in 3 months of training. it's 10-12 miles of obstacles.

But you could do a 5K mud run no problem. I did Warrior Dash in 3 months of training and that was couch-to-warrior dash, no fitness to begin with. You'll be fine.

(I DID skip monkey bars and one big wall.)