only in my third week should i plateau already?

Options

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I'd give it a month.
    This is the most frustrating nonsense advice people give to people who are stalled. I've been stalled for months. All people say is give it time. OK. Like how much time? Forever? "Are you weighing your food." Yes. "Are you sure?" Um, yes. I have a scale. I set things on it. It gives a weight. "Maybe you should eat more for a while. Or less. But not too much less because you don't have to starve yourself and you'll lose muscle. Or maybe your body composition is changing. But you're not gaining muscle because you can't in a deficit. Or it's water. That's been there for months. Yeah" Blah blah blah. No one ever has any real practical advice for people who are stalled. They just throw out feel-good-pseudo advice. "Be patient." Lame. New rule. Stop telling people who have been trying hard for months and even years in some cases to wait longer. Start ponying up with some actual decent practical useful advice.

Don't project your anger you have towards yourself at other people.

I'm not angry with myself. I'm angry people's main goto weight loss advice is "be patient." Huh? I don't want to wait to make progress. I'd like to actually make progress. Advice on how to make progress is what people need. Not, "umm, wait a month and evaluate."

No one wants to wait. No one wants to pay taxes or clean the garage, but people still do it. Grow up. Even if progress was faster, say you could lose 5lbs per week... even then would it be as fast as you wanted it to be? No. Nothing meaningful happens overnight.

Not to mention that, for the vast majority of people complaining about progress - being more patient IS the best advice. Just because people don't want to hear it doesn't make it not right. #triplenegative
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I'd give it a month.
    This is the most frustrating nonsense advice people give to people who are stalled. I've been stalled for months. All people say is give it time. OK. Like how much time? Forever? "Are you weighing your food." Yes. "Are you sure?" Um, yes. I have a scale. I set things on it. It gives a weight. "Maybe you should eat more for a while. Or less. But not too much less because you don't have to starve yourself and you'll lose muscle. Or maybe your body composition is changing. But you're not gaining muscle because you can't in a deficit. Or it's water. That's been there for months. Yeah" Blah blah blah. No one ever has any real practical advice for people who are stalled. They just throw out feel-good-pseudo advice. "Be patient." Lame. New rule. Stop telling people who have been trying hard for months and even years in some cases to wait longer. Start ponying up with some actual decent practical useful advice.

I'm not angry with myself. I'm angry people's main goto weight loss advice is "be patient." Huh? I don't want to wait to make progress. I'd like to actually make progress. Advice on how to make progress is what people need. Not, "umm, wait a month and evaluate."

then eat at a calorie defecit

because quite simply - You're not

maybe consciously or unconsciously but something you are doing is not acheiving the defecit you need to lose weight

and trust me, you aren't a special snowflake until you get tests back from the doctor that say you are a special snowflake and even then it just means that your calorie limit will need resetting because all weight loss is based on calories in vs calories out
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options

I'd give it a month.

Seriously? OP is THREE WEEKS in to changing her eating and exercise patterns. Patience is the only sane answer.

If you seriously feel stuck for MONTHS after months to a year of loss? Go to a doctor. Bring your food log and show him or her what you've been eating. If you are 100% honestly weighing and logging your intake but not losingsee a doctor to determine if you have a medical condition that has caused your TDEE to fall. Change your workout routine, perhaps you have cardio-ed yourself into a state where you aren't getting the calorie burn you used to when it was a struggle. Get your thyroid checked. Start logging measurements as well as weight for progress charts. Be Patient.

Yes, be patient. WTF do you think, a bunch of strangers on the internet will do a magic dance and fix it for you?
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    I'd give it a month.

Seriously? OP is THREE WEEKS in to changing her eating and exercise patterns. Patience is the only sane answer.

If you seriously feel stuck for MONTHS after months to a year of loss? Go to a doctor. Bring your food log and show him or her what you've been eating. If you are 100% honestly weighing and logging your intake but not losingsee a doctor to determine if you have a medical condition that has caused your TDEE to fall. Change your workout routine, perhaps you have cardio-ed yourself into a state where you aren't getting the calorie burn you used to when it was a struggle. Get your thyroid checked. Start logging measurements as well as weight for progress charts. Be Patient.

Yes, be patient. WTF do you think, a bunch of strangers on the internet will do a magic dance and fix it for you?

Can you teach me this magic dance

I like to help people

98BbqFr.gif
  • Sued0nim
    edited February 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I'd give it a month.

then eat at a calorie defecit

because quite simply - You're not

maybe consciously or unconsciously but something you are doing is not acheiving the defecit you need to lose weight

and trust me, you aren't a special snowflake until you get tests back from the doctor that say you are a special snowflake and even then it just means that your calorie limit will need resetting because all weight loss is based on calories in vs calories out
    So eat less than 2100 calories? I thought you weren't supposed to starve yourself? It's completely baffling that a 230lb man has to eat less than 2100 calories. How low? 1900? 1700? 1500? 1000?

you're the one not losing .. you need to work it out for yourself by dropping your calories and then building them up again until you find the sweet spot

I'd suggest starting at 1600 or so (net goal) and staying there for a couple of weeks, then adding an extra 100 and staying there again for a couple of weeks until you find the calorie amount based on the way you're logging that allows you to lose weight at the rate that is healthy

because clearly something isn't working for you with what you're doing

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    That seems crazy low for a guy. Where's all this "you'll lose muscle. don't starve yourself" crap come in to play then? So some chick who's 5 feet tall 105lbs shouldn't eat 1200 calories but a guy who's 5'11" 230 should eat 1600?

I'm averaging about 1800 or so. Over the years I've found that, based on how I log and how I estimate, that works really well for me when I want to cut.

Get over the numbers and if they "seem" too high or too low and do what you need to do to hit your goals.
  • Sued0nim
    edited February 2015
    Options
    That seems crazy low for a guy. Where's all this "you'll lose muscle. don't starve yourself" crap come in to play then? So some chick who's 5 feet tall 105lbs shouldn't eat 1200 calories but a guy who's 5'11" 230 should eat 1600?

But judging by your profile you're active - so you must be burning how much daily through workouts .. me at 5'8 and 165 I burn 350 to 400 by walking 10,000 steps, similar for a 45 minute workout ..

so if my calories were, for a couple of weeks, at 1600 net .. I would be eating 1950 to 2000 calories

alternatively tighten up your logging .. you have a lot of cup measurements rather than weights, you're weighing in ounces rather than grammes .. these things can actually impact on your calorie counts significantly particularly for calorie dense foods

I fail to see the issue, if you want to change things do .. but you don't lose weight by accepting that you won't lose weight
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options

Maybe start your own thread instead of hijacking the OP's?
    So frustrated, the last two days I have felt like I hit a wall. My workouts don't feel productive and I gained two pounds! What the heck? Should I really be hitting a plateau this soon into my weight loss? It just makes me feel like all my hard work is for nothing.

Two days is nothing. Patience is good. Here's why:

vp978gvuc2cf.jpg

That's my graph showing the past 4 months of losses. As you can see, there are peaks and valleys, ups and downs. It's not a straight line. But it's a downward line.

If I were to get discouraged after two days of not losing or after fluctuations and gains, I never would have come this far.
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I'd give it a month.

They're giving this advice because it can only be one of 2 things.

1) You're just not being honest with yourself about intake, weighing, exercise burns, etc.
    2) You have a medical condition.

No one here can help you with 2 if that's the issue. So all advice will be related to ensuring you're truly being honest with your caloric intake and burns. What else can anyone say?
  • determined24girl
    determined24girl Posts: 382 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

But judging by your profile you're active - so you must be burning how much daily through workouts .. me at 5'8 and 165 I burn 350 to 400 by walking 10,000 steps, similar for a 45 minute workout ..

so if my calories were, for a couple of weeks, at 1600 net .. I would be eating 1950 to 2000 calories

alternatively tighten up your logging .. you have a lot of cup measurements rather than weights, you're weighing in ounces rather than grammes .. these things can actually impact on your calorie counts significantly particularly for calorie dense foods

I fail to see the issue, if you want to change things do .. but you don't lose weight by accepting that you won't lose weight

Why is it wrong to use ounces instead of grams? I weigh all of my food and use both ounces and grams. Do you mean, for instance, if something is 150 grams and you say its 4 oz, that's wrong. Or are you saying not to use ounces at all?
  • segacs
    Options
    Yeah, ounces vs. grams is just metric vs. imperial system. It doesn't matter.
  • HeySwoleSister
    Options

Why is it wrong to use ounces instead of grams? I weigh all of my food and use both ounces and grams. Do you mean, for instance, if something is 150 grams and you say its 4 oz, that's wrong. Or are you saying not to use ounces at all?

Grams are a smaller unit, so you'll be getting a more precise number for the mass of your food, that's all. If people are truly stalling and can't figure out why, getting precise with intake logging is one way to evaluate the potential reasons. I'm not precise in my logging at all I eyeball almost everything except for stuff that I might tend to overestimate (cheese) or underestimate (protein foods).
  • segacs
    Options
    Grams are a smaller unit, so you'll be getting a more precise number for the mass of your food, that's all.

Let me introduce you to the wonderful concept of fractions.

You can be equally precise in either grams or ounces. Just use decimal points.
  • HeySwoleSister
    Options
    I'd give it a month.

Can you teach me this magic dance

I like to help people

98BbqFr.gif

tumblr_inline_mqtn19cU9u1qz4rgp_zps8eb4f31c.gif
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Grams are more exact. There is 28.35 grams in an ounce so if you weigh something that is one ounce, it can actually weigh anything from 27 to 30 grams if your scale weighs to the tenth of an ounce. The margin of error is even higher if your scale only goes to full ounces.

ETA: for many things, I weigh in grams but log in ounces, depending on the listing. I am one of those who weighs to get an exact weight instead of cutting off what I want and then weighing how much I have.