Do you have to eat the same foods day in and day out to lose?

Options
Hello, my friend suggested I eat a lot of protein to lose weight. I'm eating oatmeal, egg whites with spinach, then tilapia and black beans, then a protein shake with a rice cake, baked chicken and broccoli every 2-3 hours. I have been doing this for 3 weeks almost and I have lost 7 pounds so far!!! I am getting burned out of eating the same stuff everyday. Is there any other way to lose weight without eating this day in and day out? I need help please!!!!!! : /

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    No you don't have to eat the same foods everyday, you will soon get bored. Variety is the spice of life.
    Google high protein diets/recipes
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    the only meal that is pretty much the same every day for me is breakfast, and even then its a few different things.

each what you want, just watch your calorie intake. calories in< calories out . thats how you lose weight. not by eating the same thing every day :/
  • green_eyes_99
    green_eyes_99 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone….because I couldn't see myself doing this much longer lol!!!!! Do you all recommend getting a HR monitor while exercising?
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    My lunch is almost always a chicken or turkey sammich. Dinner is a revolving menu of my favorite things. Ice cream about every night.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    No, you can eat different things every day if you want. I tend to repeat a lot because it makes things simple, but when I start to get bored with something I will rotate something new in.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I normally have the same breakfast and lunch Monday to Friday but that's cause I like the routine of it.
  • karldomrose
    karldomrose Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    As long as you are in the same range for calories and macros for your protein/fats/carbs feel free to change it up!
  • jenmovies
    jenmovies Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Do I have the thread for you! These are food pics but many include the ingredients, and you can always message people for more info. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/823358/what-do-your-meals-look-like-show-me-pictures
    :D
  • green_eyes_99
    green_eyes_99 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone!!!! : )
  • Th3Admiral
    Options
    I have the same two or three things for breakfast and lunch, but just out of distaste for putting effort into those meals. Dinner is always different. No real reason to restrict your food variety unless it works for you.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Set regimes can help you get in the swing of things and can be useful for a couple of weeks but after that its only natutral to want to mix it up a bit. As the others have suggested google some recipies and count calories.

I use the cleana nd lean 2 week plan to get kick-started but after that I can handle it on my own using meal ideas and recipies I have built up over the years. I stil count calories. Good luck.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    You do not have to eat specific foods and you do not have to eat high protein either, not unless a dr suggested it for other reasons.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Nope - I eat what I want within my calories - I don't restrict any food group

I often eat the same things because I really, really like them but that's the only reason

restriction of food groups and boredom of same ol' same ol' = crash & burn for me
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Why on earth would you think something like that? I'm genuinely curious!?!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone….because I couldn't see myself doing this much longer lol!!!!! Do you all recommend getting a HR monitor while exercising?

They can be helpful if you're going to be doing a lot of steady state cardio (treadmill, for example). If you're planning to do strength or exercise with varying intensity then it probably won't help you much. It's definitely not necessary.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    The only thing you really need to do to lose weight is to eat less food than you were eating before.

Special foods, fad diets, gadgets, gizmos, books, DVDs with celebrity trainers... all those things mostly make a lot of money for the people selling them. They're by no means necessary for weight loss.

Eat to your calorie goal. Get some form of exercise for your health. The rest will follow.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Why on earth would you think something like that? I'm genuinely curious!?!

I was wondering this myself.
    I eat oatmeal for breakfast almost every day, but that's because I like it and it fills me up. But that's the only thing that stays the same pretty much.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Not at all. As long as you are in a caloric deficit you will lose weight.

I do have nearly the same breakfast everyday. I love eggs and bacon! I have a rotation of other meals I prepare. I have a family, they don't even do leftovers or weekly repeats. Lucky for me, I will! I am a creature of habit. I am okay with eating the same things over and over but it never happens that way.

find some web pages with recipies or make your own recipies. Weigh it all plug it in and stay in a deficit to lose.

you can have regular tasty food. You can dine out. You do not have to eat boring bland food over and over. You do not need to reside in that hell to acheive your goals. :)