Options
2»

Replies

• krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

People end up skinny fat due to poor training not because they failed to follow a specific macro split.

So you saying that if I go on a deficit eating purely carbs with no inclusion of fats or proteins with a good training routine, I will end up jacked with muscle definition... i think not. :|
  • RebelDiamond
    RebelDiamond Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    OP, just to respond simply to your question (there's a lot of politics on these forums) is that staying on/just under your calorie goal is going to make you lose weight.

Try not to get bogged down into macros right now, start by focusing on your overall calorie count.

Personally, I could eat my whole daily intake in one sitting at McDonald's, but I choose to eat lower calorie meals spaced out during the day. Everyone is different and have different goals.

All in all, just focus on the count and the macros balance (protein, carbs and fat) will come in time.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    krhn wrote: »

People end up skinny fat due to poor training not because they failed to follow a specific macro split.

So you saying that if I go on a deficit eating purely carbs with no inclusion of fats or proteins with a good training routine, I will end up jacked with muscle definition... i think not. :|
    When you have to resort to an extreme scenario to prove your point, in this case, eating 100% carbs with no protein or fats, it shows how invalid your point was to begin with. Eating in that manner is not something anyone would ever do. Therefore the scenario is useless. You are talking about losing stubborn fat with an OP that wants to lose 60 lbs. She should be focused on getting her calories squared away. Even when all you have left to do is lose stubborn fat, you still don't need to do more then get your calories squared away. Again, adequate protein levels helps retain lean mass, but that being said, it still does not require you to go "low carb" to lose even stubborn fat. I'm all for OP eating a little more protein, but that has nothing to do with carbs causing fat loss to slow or stop.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    When you have to resort to an extreme scenario to prove your point, in this case, eating 100% carbs with no protein or fats, it shows how invalid your point was to begin with. Eating in that manner is not something anyone would ever do. Therefore the scenario is useless. You are talking about losing stubborn fat with an OP that wants to lose 60 lbs. She should be focused on getting her calories squared away. Even when all you have left to do is lose stubborn fat, you still don't need to do more then get your calories squared away. Again, adequate protein levels helps retain lean mass, but that being said, it still does not require you to go "low carb" to lose even stubborn fat. I'm all for OP eating a little more protein, but that has nothing to do with carbs causing fat loss to slow or stop.

^ All of this.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    krhn wrote: »

cm-49669-451176610d12d1_zps573fa0d3.gif
  • LuckyMe2017
    LuckyMe2017 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I am not sure if anyone mentioned this but it is ok for your ratios to fluctuate. If you eat an apple and your carbs go up to 60%, then you eat a meal with low-moderate carbs and say 4-6oz protein, the carbs will likely drop to 50-55%. Your goal is to be close to your percentages by the end of the day. Your carbs ratio is high, albeit federally recommended, so you shoul be able to stay within you goals as long as you eat a protein at every meal.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    MFPs default protein is pretty low, especially if you're active and particularly if you're dieting. I wouldn't be concerned at all about being over a paltry 54 grams of protein...probably should shoot for more like 100 - 110 grams anyway.
  • chanell84
    chanell84 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Well you all have given me a lot of information and I thank you for that. I am going to take Vismal's advice and just focus on eating healthy foods and stay within my caloric deficit. I am a preschool teacher and a mom of 3 so I'm pretty active. MFP wants me to eat 1490 calories a day, not counting exercise. I have myself listed as moderately active but I'm probably realistically I'm probably more active but I find this many calories to be too much when I'm eating healthy low calorie foods. I listen to my body and when I'm hungry I eat. I know that ppl say if you don't eat enough your metabolism will slow down but if you look at my diary I am eating and I don't think I'm doing too bad with my food choices. Do you guys think that only eating 1100 calories a day will really slow down my weight loss?!? If so I guess I could try harder to eat more. Also I have celiac disease so I have to eat gluten free so when I do eat bread or pasta it isn't always the best choice but I don't have a choice. I'm trying to do this right so I can get back in shape like I was pre children.
  • chanell84
    Options
    I've also lost 16 lbs in 25 days so I must be doing something right.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    chanell84 wrote: »
    I've also lost 16 lbs in 25 days so I must be doing something right.

That's a bit high. Most is probably water. Please don't get discouraged as that slows down. Ideally, you should be losing about a pound a week, maximum, unless you are very obese.
  • chanell84
    Options
    It def could be water weight... I went from eating very poorly to eating much healthier including cutting out soda and coffee and limiting things like cheese and milk. I also use stevia now instead of sugar so I think my body is just in shock.