Is It Weird that I Hate Talking About my Weight Loss?

Options
More and more, people have been commenting on how great I look and how I've lost weight. While it's an awesome feeling to know that people have noticed and that what I'm doing is making a difference, I always feel really uncomfortable when I get these comments. I hate telling people how many pounds I've lost or how much I weigh. I know that weight is just a number, but I've been embarrassed to share that number with anybody since I was 12. It's not that these are people who want miracle ways to lose weight or anything - in fact, in my community I'm surrounded by mostly fit, active, and healthy people - so quite the opposite. I just feel really awkward talking about it with anyone - does anyone else feel this way?

Replies

• jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Yep, I usually say thanks if they comment and change the subject
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I do, but for slightly different reasons. My coworkers (well, 3 of the 4 in my department) are trying to lose weight, and most of that group started off bigger than my highest. I don't share because one of them is on a roll in motivation, dedication, and progress... and it feels wrong to take any part of her spotlight by admitting my own loss. So I'm just exercising with her and the others during our morning walks rather than "losing weight" as far as their concerned; they know, but I don't talk about it unless it's about them.
  • mastermurph
    Options
    I think everyone is different, I was was once 260 and I am happy to tell the story to people, not for myself but to motivate others that they can achieve it as well. Good work on your progress.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. It's fine with close friends, but it feel really weird coming from coworkers and family members. I've always been a fairly private person, so talking about myself has always made me uncomfortable. Try to be gracious, then change the subject if you like.
  • bhdon
    bhdon Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    It makes me uncomfortable too, especially if they start commenting on individual body parts. If it were possible, I'd prefer to lose weight and not have other people even notice.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    No. I don't care for it myself. I think it has more to do why I gained a few pounds.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I only hate it when it's with ignorant people, who like to ask retarded questions like, "when are you going to be done exercising?" "STILL counting calories, eh?" and "What's your secret?" If someone has a legitimate question, compliment or comment, I am happy to respond, but if you're going to be an idiot about it, please just shut up and get out of my face.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I thought we already did this one? NO it's not weird, it's because you instinctively know they might be leading into backhanded compliments, direct insults when they realize they don't have the gumption to do whatever you say you did, or unsolicited ridiculous advice.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    It's not weird at all.

When people lose weight they just want to have their weight not be an issue anymore.

Going from the fat person to the fat person who lost weight can be irritating but it's temporary. People will eventually become accustomed to the new you and the comments will cease.
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's weird at all. I personally sorta feel the same way. I'm Hispanic and I don't know if it's the thing in primarily Hispanic families but the majority of my family members have no qualms about making constant comments about a person's weight. All the while offering you a plate of rice and beans and getting offended when you turn it down, but that's another story. I hate admitting the amount of weight I've lost so far to them because I'm still heavy, and though I am proud of my progress I'm just not comfortable talking about it. At least not to them. I dread the inevitable "Really, but omg how much did you weigh BEFORE?!" question that almost always follows.

So, I've learned to either brush it off or just change the subject.
  • popsicklestar
    popsicklestar Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    No, I don't want to talk about mine either. I've been fortunate that no one has been rude enough to ask about actual numbers yet, so that's good. It's nice when people just tell me I look awesome, but I don't want to explain details about how I did it, mostly because there's no magical secret to explain. I workout regularly and eat less. I know they're just curious, so I don't get oversensitive about it, but I'm just tired of having to talk about it over and over. Also, all the attention embarrasses me. I literally turn red sometimes. I'm ready to just fast-forward to the part where I've been thin and fit for so long that it's no longer something new to be commented on.
  • kelly101386
    kelly101386 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who is forever making comments about it whenever she sees me, it gets annoying so I just smile and move on x I can understand how its weird, when I was large it was people making horrid comments so any kind of comment about my weight kind of freaks me out even if it is nice.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I hate talking about it also.
  • somanyrhoades
    somanyrhoades Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Personally it doesn't bother me at alll. Most people are recognizing your hard work, some are looking for advice. Many people don't understand how personal weight loss is, especially if they've never had to do it. You should not feel obligated to explain anything to anyone. There are a couple ways to get around this... so when someone says , "Wow, you've lost so much weight, how'd you do it?"
    You could say something general, like "lots of hard work" or "eating healthy". You don't have to go into the details of every workout. If you keep your answers short, you can change the subject immediately, so when someone says "wow, you look great, how much weight have you lost," You don't have to give a specific number, something like "enough to feel happier," or "quite a few pounds," then change the subject, "by the way, I love your shirt" Changing the subject should be that person's cue that you don't really want to discuss your weight loss. If they don't understand that and keep persisting it's fine to say "I'm really not comfortable talking about it," or "It's been a very personal journey for me that I'm not quite ready to share yet." anyone with good sense will see where you are coming from!
  • CarterCantStop
    CarterCantStop Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    for me its like you said its kinda feels good to know its noticeable but then on the other hand i never know what to say when someone comments! for example a co worker moved and decided to move back and his frist day back he was like wow youve lost weight its very noticeable i said thanks but in my head i was thinking this is weird and ackward what am i suppose to say!
  • berriboobear
    berriboobear Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I find it incredible awkward, weight isn't something you really talk about unless it's with family or those close to you (for fear of being rude). If it comes up, it's only briefly mentioned and then the conversation topic changes.

I think I'm more embarrassed about it now since my weight loss so far isn't really visible yet. ><
  • rebasporty
    rebasporty Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    My canned responds is: Moving more, eating less. They seem disappointed at my responds, however it is the truth, no magic pill here.
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    It can be a bit uncomfortable when they go on and on about how great I look. What I try to do though is use it as a teaching moment if the person seems like they want to know more about my journey. It is great that people notice but I do totally get what your saying too :smile:
  • lem_orc29
    lem_orc29 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    It's definitely not weird at all. For me, there's a difference between a comment like, "You look really good, have you lost weight?" To which I can reply, "Yes, I have-thank you!" and what my family does, which is interrogate me about how many pounds I've lost and then announce the number to random strangers...awkward and embarrassing! But in a nutshell, except for a couple of close friends and family members, I don't really like talking about it either.
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    My canned responds is: Moving more, eating less. They seem disappointed at my responds, however it is the truth, no magic pill here.

Ah yes, I have been asked and when I reply changing my diet, no fast food, exercise and hard work I sometimes get that blank stare. You know the one because I'm sure you've gotten it LOL Or I get...oh... You're right, no magic here just tried and true hard work and being diligent about eating healthy!