Fitbit accuracy

Options
I have been using my fit bit again for about 6 weeks now. I lost my Fitbit one down the toilet and replaced it with a zip. I thought the following might be useful for others using a Fitbit device

To check how accurate it has been measuring my energy expenditure (calories burned) I took all the defecit readings from each weekly report for the last 4 weeks. According to fitbit the deficit was 30101 so 30101/7000=4.3kg

My actual loss in this time is 4.6kg so pretty accurate. How well I'm measuring and logging my intake will also effect the accuracy but I weigh most things except low cal veggies (cabbage, cucumber spinach etc). I have two quick adds in this time frame for tapas meals out.

So all in all I'm pretty happy with how accurate it is and will stop worrying about not eating back my fitbit adjustment calories.

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I've always relied on my fitbit and I've always got the right numbers back
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    This is good to read, I've had mine almost 2 weeks now and I get a bit worried about it overestimating, so I've been probably overcompensating by eating under.
  • kateangel2312
    kateangel2312 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I have the charge hr, I hope it's as accurate!
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Good to know, I don't think I could handle each day without eating back all my Fitbit calories!
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I've had the Charge HR for about a month & find it to be very accurate. I aim to lose 1.5-2lb a week & I am averaged 1.7. I base my daily calories on what my Fitbit says I burn each day. I like the Charge HR much better then the flex I had for 1 yr.
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Last night, I did an urban hike. I wore my charge hr, and also had track my hike GPS tracking.

The fitbit and GPS were almost dead on as far as distance is concerned. Fitbit had slightly higher calorie burn.

Other people in the group has various types of fitbits, and all had almost the exact same distance. Steps varied as you would think, with taller people having fewer. Everyone had almost exactly the same floors climbed at 41-45.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    it's a clever little toy *nods*
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    It's been accurate for me. My heart rate calories burned and the fitbit exercise calories are nearly identical to each other.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I've had mine six months, and find it to be just as accurate based on looking at the same reports. For every 3500 calorie deficit, I've lost almost exactly a pound. The only exception (I have a zip that doesn't count stairs) is if most of my walking has been on an incline. It will obviously underestimate calorie burn in this case. I'm okay with that. My diary and I have an agreement: it doesn't give me credit for my incline, and I don't weigh my sliced bread or dirty measuring cups with my raw eggs :)
  • JAT74
    JAT74 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I got my Fitbit One yesterday and have been wearing it for a day and a half so today is my first full day. It's now nearly 4pm and I've already exceeded my 10,000 steps which is great (did an hour walk this morning followed by another hour walking round the shops!) plus normal daily activity at home.

So far it's telling me I've burned 1647 calories and I've eaten 1145 (pre-logged for the whole day as I've planned my dinner and had my afternoon snack already) so does that mean that whatever it gives me by the end of the day as my total burn will be my maintenance calorie total and therefore the difference between the daily total calories burned and the total eaten will be the deficit I've created in order to lose weight?

As I'm new to Fitbit I am not 100% clear about this yet but want to make sure I'm not eating too much to be able to lose the weight I need to.

Also, should I pay attention to the total showing for the day on my Fitbit or the total on MFP?
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Just like any other tracker (or online calculator that one inputs their activity levels), Fitbit is an estimates. Although, I'd say it can be a better estimate, as it is more personalized (counts your steps, you can input other exercise times, etc.). But in the end, it's still an estimate--some of us may still need to tweak intake up/down.

My experience has been great. Over 6 months of data (I keep a spreadsheet of CI/CO/weight changes) tells me it's more or less spot on with me doing solely step-based activities (walking/running/step-based traditional aerobic classes).

As I've added in strength training, it does seem to underestimate that (based on my spreadsheet data), but then again, strength training is the hardest burn to estimate for anyone/any calculator. When I'm a good girl and actually DO my strength workouts, I just eat an extra 200 calories over what Fitbit tells me that day.
  • JAT74
    JAT74 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Does anyone in this thread use a Heart Rate Monitor at the same time as their Fitbit, or take of their Fitbit when doing workouts it can't track and use the HRM instead? If so, what's the best way to add these extra calorie burns:

1) so that they aren't counted twice and
    2) so that you get to add in more accurate calorie burns for some types of workouts.

I have a Polar FT7 which is currently out of action (waiting for new batteries) but when I get it up and running again I want to be able to use it in addition to the Fitbit.
  • rhoule76
    rhoule76 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I've been using my Fitbit since July 2013. I was losing consistently when hitting at least 10k steps/day. Then I got pregnant :smiley: I had my 2nd daughter at the end of September 2014 and am just getting back into getting my steps in (started back with 5k/day, then increased to 7.5k/day, now back up to 10k/day) and am watching my food intake (although I am still nursing so I'm not at a calorie deficit) and and down to 10lbs less than my pre-pregnancy weight. I have now started adding in yoga and pilates daily (logging manually into MFP). I'm happy with the Fitbit and it does estimate. I will start wearing my HRM again to get accurate burns.
  • LexyMaree
    LexyMaree Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Could anyone offer some advice as to which Fitbit is suitable for estimating burn/steps, but doesn't cost the earth? I've been looking at buying one, but I don't do full-on workouts that need 100% accuracy (I usually just walk, jog, ride or use wii fit).
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    LexyMaree wrote: »
    Could anyone offer some advice as to which Fitbit is suitable for estimating burn/steps, but doesn't cost the earth? I've been looking at buying one, but I don't do full-on workouts that need 100% accuracy (I usually just walk, jog, ride or use wii fit).
    The Fitbit Zip is $40-$50.

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    On the topic of Fitbit: I love my One but will acknowledge Fitbit does not have a product for everyone. My husband has the Polar Loop, after researching the different brands/models/features.

The accuracy will be a little off and in different directions for most people I think. The standard calorie burn formulas are based on mathematical averages, and whose to say that all of our bodies respond perfectly? Personally as I've been in maintenance 4 months and lost a few more pounds than intended: I learned that for me, I need to eat at/above what Fitbit says I'm burning to NOT lose weight.

And one more thing - if you're in the US look into apps, websites where you earn points/dollars for your activity and see which trackers are compatible. Pact (app), achievemint.com (website), Walgreens rewards, etc.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

The zip is the most affordable. It doesn't count steps, but unless thats a big part of your day, I wouldn't worry about it.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

The zip is the most affordable. It doesn't count steps, but unless thats a big part of your day, I wouldn't worry about it.
    I think he/she means it doesn't count stairs. ;)
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options

Zip (the "base" model). Uses the same app and program as the more expensive ones. Sure, it doesn't count stairs or monitors your sleep, but if those things aren't important (they're not for me, either), $50 for a Zip is money well spent to track what's important.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I got a Fitbit Flex about 3 weeks ago and have been wearing it, but I haven't linked it to MFP. So far, it's been overestimating my calorie burns by about 10-15% compared to observed real-world results. But I'm going to give it a bit more time and see if that stays that way or if it levels out.

Remember that Fitbit is really just a glorified pedometer. It can't assess calories burned from non-step exercise. And even for steps, it's just using a formula to convert steps into calories, and that formula is only as good as any other formula out there on the web, in other words, it may need to be adjusted a bit for your body.

If the Fitbit gets you moving more than you otherwise would have, great. If you're counting on it to be 100% accurate on calorie burns? Nah. Not meant for that.