Plateau blues/question/help!

Options
Tried upping/lowering calories.. Eating (fairly) healthy and daily exercise.. So Wtf 1 month with No weight loss!.. Could someone check out and analyze my diary-- maybe u can see where I'm going wrong. I don't wanna be 194lbs forever .. :( this is so discouraging

Replies

• herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Upping calories can take 4-6 weeks to show results. I'd assume it would be similar with lowering calories too.
    Your diary isn't showing as open though for others to view it.
  • in2theblu
    in2theblu Posts: 42
    Options
    Sorry i just made it public. Oh alright I guess I'll just be patient. But it has been since mid April. So about 5 weeks. I was use to about a pound a week before.
  • MrsSchimmy
    MrsSchimmy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Up your water intake DRASTICALLY. I like to take things a step at a time as to not overwhelm myself... Start with water, up the veggies, move into a less-processed diet, prep your own meals.
    Again, one step at a time. I'd start with water. I can always tell a big difference in my body when I don't get a gallon a day.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing and measuring your food? How are you calculating exercise cals? Are you taking measurements /progress pics of your body? If so, have you noticed a change in these even if your scale isn't moving?
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    For me it's water - if you're not drinking a lot, start. If you are drinking a lot, drink more.
  • in2theblu
    Options
    Are you weighing and measuring your food? How are you calculating exercise cals? Are you taking measurements /progress pics of your body? If so, have you noticed a change in these even if your scale isn't moving?

I use portion control.. I don't weigh my food- that would drive me insane.. I calculate by the cals on my treadmill & the exercise cals MFP uses. I have done before & after pix. I've noticed a 2inch decrease in my bust & waist but no scale movement.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    It's good that you are noticing some losses in inches. That's what's most important. However if you aren't weighing and measuring your food you could be eating a lot more than you think you are. So you may just be eating SLIGHTLY below your TDEE, so you are losing very very slow.
    MFP and treadmills tend to way over estimate calories burned
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Usually I would tell people eat more. Most people on here eat too little.

But looking at your diary I think you could go down by 150-200 calories see how it works out. Also you can try eating a little bit more protein (1-2g/kg) and fat (1-1.5g/kg) and put the rest in carbs.

But I have to admit I didn't see anything obvious. Logging looks good all round.
  • smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options

I use portion control.. I don't weigh my food- that would drive me insane.. I calculate by the cals on my treadmill & the exercise cals MFP uses. I have done before & after pix. I've noticed a 2inch decrease in my bust & waist but no scale movement.

Unfortunately that's probably your problem. Without measuring your food you're probably eating more calories than you think. Mfp and treadmills/machines at the gym often overstate your calorie burn. The combo of the two means you're probably not eating at a deficit, or a very small deficit. Buy a food scale ($20 investment worth its weight in gold), and assume machines at the gym are overstating your burn by at least 25%. (or buy a heart rate monitor, but they are expensive.)
  • in2theblu
    Options

Unfortunately that's probably your problem. Without measuring your food you're probably eating more calories than you think. Mfp and treadmills/machines at the gym often overstate your calorie burn. The combo of the two means you're probably not eating at a deficit, or a very small deficit. Buy a food scale ($20 investment worth its weight in gold), and assume machines at the gym are overstating your burn by at least 25%. (or buy a heart rate monitor, but they are expensive.)

Has anyone tried this NIKE FUEL BAND? What's it about?
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Buy a food scale - you will be astonished/horrified at what a 40g helping of cereal/75g helping of dry pasta really looks like.

When I put my calories up I stuck for a few weeks, then suddenly for the alst three weeks I've gone down 2lb a week.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Well it looks like you are usually over your fat or sodium or both. You could be retaining a lot of water. I try to keep my sodium under 1000mg. I find that way I never retain water.

Try a different kind of exercise. I know it sounds silly but sometimes the body gets used to one thing and it just stops working. Have you tried Insanity or 30 day shred?
  • bsmithmia
    bsmithmia Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Do you log everything? Alcohol? I don't know if you drink but that would be one question.

I think you are having the problem that I was having. I wouldn't eat more than you are, I would customize your macros differently and stop using the default goals. Go to settings, goals, the select custom.

Right now, I would say you are taking in too many carbs and not enough protein. Do some research on what is best for you but the "one size fits all" default settings don't work for everyone.

Sodium is also probably causing you to retain some fluids which can effect the scale. Remedy this by drinking more water and keeping an eye on this metric.

When I recently figured out that I can customize my macros instead of using the default MFP macros...BOOM - the 2-3 week plateau I was on has now been broken and the scale is trending downward again : )
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    UP your Water intake.
    UP your veggies intake.
    UP your lean meats.
    LOWER any processed foods
    and watch your sodium intake.

oh and maybe you should find out what your Body fat % is also??? Sometimes focusing on that, versus weight helps out tremendously!
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

By not weighing your food you could be hundreds of calories out, literally and that, can mean the difference between losing weight or putting it back on.