Gluten-free diet

Options
just read Grain Brain and wanted to start a Gluten-free diet. I'll be honest, the whole diet scene is confusing. Each diet option claims that their solution will benefit you.

Replies

• sparkles212
    Options
    I think everyone could perhaps do with eating a little less gluten given that a huge amount of people have an intolerance that they don't even know about. That said if it's never given you problems before then there's no reason to go completely gluten free, it's a very hard diet to stick to and I really do feel for people with celiac disease
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    If its something you think will benifit you then try it for a few weeks. I haven't heard much from those gluten free without health problems. But, it may ne a way to rein in the excess empty carbs as long as you are replacing them with fruits and veggies.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I think everyone could perhaps do with eating a little less gluten given that a huge amount of people have an intolerance that they don't even know about. That said if it's never given you problems before then there's no reason to go completely gluten free, it's a very hard diet to stick to and I really do feel for people with celiac disease

I don't think as many people have an intolerance as think they do. What probably WOULD benefit people who think they are intolerant is eating far less gluten or wheat containing products. Bread, for example, doesn't need to be full of enzymes and additives to make it from flour to shelf at high speed. Flour, water, yeast (from whichever source) and salt are all that's needed, and the slower the prove the better the yeast gets to work on the gluten. Many people find that switching to artisan breads or even making their own solves their bloating issues.

It's less a gluten issue, and more a poor product issue.

• maxoverdrv69
    maxoverdrv69 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone.
  • gawws
    gawws Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just read Grain Brain too, last weekend, and I am giving it a try. I don't see anything in this app that provides any direction for a Gluten-free diet though. Has anyone seen in such features? I found another app - ShopWell - that seems to be really good for shopping and does have some related logic for identifying products containing Gluten. But it is not a diet tracking tool.
  • bubbabacon
    bubbabacon Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm gluten allergic. It's no wheat, rye or barley. Gluten are proteins found in wheat and the other stuff. It helps food maintain their shape and its an additive for foods. Even soy sauce and some ice cream has it. I personally think it's all the gmo's in our food. People say oatmeal is as well, it isn't. It's safe when it proceeded in its own plant. No cross contamination with wheat. good luck. Feel free to add me. :)
  • ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    bubbabacon wrote: »
    I'm gluten allergic. It's no wheat, rye or barley. Gluten are proteins found in wheat and the other stuff. It helps food maintain their shape and its an additive for foods. Even soy sauce and some ice cream has it. I personally think it's all the gmo's in our food. People say oatmeal is as well, it isn't. It's safe when it proceeded in its own plant. No cross contamination with wheat. good luck. Feel free to add me. :)

Actually the reason oatmeal is not safe is because it is grown in the same fields as wheat. The farmers alternate between wheat one growing season and oatmeal the next. That is why you have find oats that have been grown on their own dedicated farms or fields. I have celiacs and have definitely reacted to oats before when I was not careful to check where they came from.

http://www.gfcf.com/articles/gluten-in-oats.html