Instant gratification

how do I move past the need or want of gratification? It's so hard to get started because I feel I want an instant change. I need a trick. I need something to focus on day to day. Help please!

Replies

• collinsje308
    collinsje308 Posts: 17 Member
    Instant gratification/change and weight loss/muscle building do not exist in the same world.

Depending on what your overall goals are and what your stats are it will be a very long process. If it is that you want to lose weight then eat at a deficit and move more. And as long as you do this the weight will come off. If your goal is to build muscle or become stronger find a program that you like and follow it along with some sort of nutrition program (counting calories, macros.....etc.)

For example I will use me.....I started in Oct. of 2014 at 290 lbs. (6 foot 1 inch, 28 year old male) and have as of Monday lost 28 lbs. I am following the strong lifts 5 x 5 program with adding in 30 minutes of running/walking (as I cant run for the full 30 mins yet) on my non-lifting days. I know what you mean about wanting to see a change fast (on the scale or the way you look) but that just doesn't happen if you want to do this the healthy way.

So what I focus on is what I did in the gym today. Like saying to myself look I just picked that up!!!! I couldn't do the 6 months ago. Or the big one for me right now is tracking how far I can run in 30 minutes. For example 4 months ago I could barley go 1.9 miles in 30 minutes and now as of this morning I am up to 2.7 miles. I just focus on adding to that even if it is only .01 miles a week/month and then think to my self SEE YOU ARE GETTING BETTER!!

Hope this helps somewhat.
  • itstimeRK
    itstimeRK Posts: 112 Member
    It all starts with adopting a positive attitude. Discipline comes from within, so that is where you need to look. Nothing worth having is easy at first.
  • Ginaaa71
    Ginaaa71 Posts: 61 Member
    I get on the scale everyday, not to see what I've lost but to see what I haven't gained. It reminds me of that if I don't eat healthy today, I will just keep gaining weight. We all want gastric bypass results, but have confidence that you have the willpower to to change your life. I'm doing lots of lean protein veggies some fruit and quinoa as my healthy carb. Try cutting some carbs or making sure they are good carbs, the weight will drop faster. Good luck
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    itstimeRK wrote: »
    It all starts with adopting a positive attitude. Discipline comes from within, so that is where you need to look. Nothing worth having is easy at first.

This. Along with adopting healthy habits, and maybe learning to have a different relationship with food and exercise, and learning to be realistic. Eat enough throughout the day so that you're within a realistic calorie allowance for yourself that you're going to achieve without a ton of difficulty. Learn to work in things you love, beer, pizza, chocolate or whatever so that you don't start feeling stabby and go on a binge-fest. If you have a binge-fest, learn how to forgive yourself and move on. You get the picture :)
  • I have the same need for instant gratification. I've turned that into, "What daily goals can I hit?"

I try to log everything I eat, every day. If I do, it's a win!

I also have a fitbit, and if I hit my 10K steps for the day, that's another win!

Just try to take things one day at a time. Set reasonable goals for yourself, and try to do something each day that will move you closer to your bigger goals.
  • kgbraden
    kgbraden Posts: 1 Member
    I'm right there with you. Intellectually I know that I am doing really well: I go to the gym for boot camp 5 days a week, religiously weigh and log my food, and have lost 17 pounds in 5 weeks. Emotionally, that is a different story. I still catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror and find myself actually getting angry that I am still fat. It is a completely irrational response, but it is something that I have to deal with. One thing that I do is to channel that anger: while working out and I feel that I need to skimp or quit on part of the workout: I remember that anger; when tempted by food (or even worse: Whiskey!): I remember that anger.
    I also agree with what others have said: focus on the positive accomplishments: those jeans fit, I can run for 10 minutes and only kind-of feel like I’m going to die, that first time someone notices and commends you on your weight loss. Be gratified in the little things, because the big things will come.
    If I can do this, you can do this!
  • DarcG
    DarcG Posts: 51 Member
    I need something for the first week to keep me going. It's like a second job. I have to do it
  • DarcG
    Thank you for all of the ideas!!!! And most of all your support and response
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    I have the same need for instant gratification. I've turned that into, "What daily goals can I hit?"

I try to log everything I eat, every day. If I do, it's a win!

I also have a fitbit, and if I hit my 10K steps for the day, that's another win!

Just try to take things one day at a time. Set reasonable goals for yourself, and try to do something each day that will move you closer to your bigger goals.

the fitbit is something that really helped me. being able to see what i accomplished compared to the previous day/week kept me going when the scale wasn't moving.

• DarcG
    Thanks. One day I'll get one. Hopefully
  • Lindsay_the_great
    Lindsay_the_great Posts: 209 Member
    edited February 2015
    You're looking at it all wrong. You're not trying to lose weight. You're changing your lifestyle. Weight loss is just a possible by-product. Eat right, log everything. Pay attention to your macros. Be active. Don't worry about results. Think of your health and happiness. Make those your goals. :smile:
  • DarcG
    Do you do anything special for your food plan?
  • Lindsay_the_great
    I do. I have started logging my whole day before it starts. That way I have control and can balance my macros before I ever put a morsel in my mouth. There are certain things I don't allow myself because I know they're a slippery slope. (My trigger foods) By planning my food day ahead of time (the night before or at breakfast) I don't have to think about food at all. It's taken care of. And I know at the start that it will be a successful day.
  • DarcG
    I try. I have a habit of becoming so hungry when I get home at four thirty. Dinner is at six and I can't change the time. I'm thinking a half an hour can be workout and I can munch on cucumbers and carrots or something well I cook.
  • Lindsay_the_great
    Keep a big container of veggies in your fridge and munch on those. It's the only thing that saves me. Then you'll also eat less dinner because you're full of veg! Also look up "weight watchers zero point soup". It's a great vegetable soup that can fill in the gap when you're starving. It will give you a great dose of fiber and nutrients too!
  • DarcG
    Hey thanks!!!!!!! Maybe I'll do that for lunch. I get bored fast when it comes to food. Workouts too. I think I want to do a week of one type of food and change it up the next week. Same as workouts. Maybe it'll help
  • Lindsay_the_great
    edited February 2015
    That's pretty much what I do. Most of what I eat is the same day-to-day, though it is a little different each week. Like, this week I'm taking veggies and hummus and pita or crispbread for lunch almost every day. But last week I'd made a big pot of soup so I took that in my thermos every day. And next week god only knows what i'll be doing. My breakfast is the same every other day. I rotate each morning between oatmeal with a fried egg on it and a green smoothie with protein powder. It's a good balance to stick with a plan you know but add in a little variety where you can. Most people who stay slim eat pretty much the same things most of the time in my experience. :smile:
    While I run M-W-F each week, I try to find a different or new activity on Tu&Th and weekends. Like yoga or a water class, etc.
  • DarcG
    We have been getting so much snow. I'm ready to walk/jog outside. I'm not to much into indoor workouts. And the gym is only workable for me at eight thirty at night and honestly a time I just want to relax and unwind
  • Lindsay_the_great
    Well if indoor workouts are all you can do right now then you'll have to learn to like them if you really want to get some exercise. Or at least learn to put up with them.
  • DarcG
    Right! Ugh. I need someone to tell me to get a grip. And push me everyday till I get into a good rythem