Long Term Maintaining Exercise Strategies

Options
I am ALWAYS tweaking my foods & exercise to maximize benefits.

I've recently shifted my workout from more cardio focus to more strength focus.

SO I was wondering what some of the other maintainers have changed in the activities compared to when you were losing?

My Losing Regiment:
  • 45 min - 1 hr of cardio

My Maintaining Regiment:
  • 30 min cardio
  • 15 min strength (weight bearing)/calisthenics (push ups, sit ups etc) trng

Current Regiment:
  • 25-30 min cardio
  • 30 min strength trng

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i havent changed anything... i do the same when maintaining as i do when losing, i just eat a bit less when i'm cutting.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    My losing regiment - walk at least 16000 steps a day including a 40-60 min running/ 3 days strength training. 1 rest day. (worked my way up from average of 8000 steps to 16000 within a few months of getting a Fitbit in Dec 2013)

My Maintaining/current regiment - As above .....I thought I'd cut back on exercise but I enjoy it too much and like the results so for now I'm happy to keep everything as it is. If I did cut back it would be on the cardio...IF! lol :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Exercise is just the same - just keep pushing my goals onwards and upwards.
    Food is just the same - just more of it.

PS
    By the way you really should have been doing strength training while you were losing your weight. Much easier to retain muscle than it is to lose it and have to regain it.
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    PS
    By the way you really should have been doing strength training while you were losing your weight. Much easier to retain muscle than it is to lose it and have to regain it.

Meh ... you say to-MA-to, I say to-MAY-to.

Everyone is different and has to find an approach that works for them individually.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    All my changes have related to my fitness goals, not my weight goals. Once I lost some weight I decided I could try running again, so now, instead of cycling 6-8 hours a week, I'm running 1.5-2.5 hours a week and cycling somewhat less. Actually, in the last few weeks, with all the snow we've had in New England, I'm cycling considerably less (and that on rollers in the basement), but getting out as much as possible on XC skis and snowshoes. But I've got a 200K ride in mind for late April, so I had better put more time in the saddle soon!

I'm also trying to be more systematic about doing a bodyweight routine three times a week, unlike "when I feel like it," which was mostly what I did while losing.