Some food advice

Options
Hello people, just starting a MassGain programme, really need some advice on food!
I know the body can only take about 25g to 30g of protein at a time, 5 to 6 times a day.
So roughly 100g of chicken each meal for example,
So I'm going to be eating a lot of chicken!
Does anybody know a place to get good deals on chicken?
And just a few other questions,
Is frozen chicken ok to get? Just for the convenience.
Is rice and chicken ok to cook the night before, and reheat in th microwave the next day?
Quick simple Mass Gain breakfast?
Currently I'm having a serious mass optimum shake in the mornings,
But it's going to work out about £33 a week on shakes, I need something a bit more bank balance friendly, I'm already going to be spending lots on other foods!
All in all, I would love some advice on some serious mass gain!
Thank youuu

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    thats not true about how much protein the body can process (if it were then why would people drink protein shakes with 2 scoops of powder in!?), and you will get veeeeeeeeeeeeery bored veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery quick if your only protein source is chicken!
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    http://www.barbellmedicine.com/nutrition/7-rules-to-optimize-protein-intake/
    Read #5
    Eat enough to where you are gaining weight (does not matter the source of the food's calories unless you are going on stage to compete).

So in a nutshell, lift progressively heavier and progressively more and eat food till you are gaining weight, a couple of lbs a month average till you think its time to cut.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Wow, a bro food bulk. You're going to be hating life soon.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    thats not true about how much protein the body can process (if it were then why would people drink protein shakes with 2 scoops of powder in!?), and you will get veeeeeeeeeeeeery bored veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery quick if your only protein source is chicken!

This.

But to answer the specific questions, frozen chicken is fine. Costco/sam's style wholesalers sell individually frozen chicken which is convenient if you live alone. However, I find it easier (and actually cheaper) to buy a ton of chicken (10lbs at a time) from the normal meat section and cook it all at once. I do it in the crockpot with chili powder and cumin so that I can be lazy, then shred and freeze in individual portions. Then I can use it however I want: make chicken salad, on top of a salad, in tacos, pulled chicken sandwiches, etc.

Most food that you make before can be refrigerated for several days without going bad. I also will cook large amounts of food for dinner and freeze (or refrigerate depending on when I expect to eat them) leftovers. This works really well with spaghetti sauce, chili, stir fry, etc.

Mass gaining shakes (commercially produced) aren't required and you can make your own. There have been a few posted in this section recently, but common themes seem to be bananas, ice cream, heavy cream, oats, protein powder, etc.
  • elfman5150
    elfman5150 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    It's true that your body CAN process lots and lots of protein, but it is also true that it CAN'T use all of the protein for muscle synthesis. Some of the excess protein goes to gluconeogenesis if you aren't getting enough carbs through dietary intake. So more protein doesn't mean more muscle, but as mentioned before, it WILL still get processed by the body. Otherwise the best weight-loss diet would be pure protein.