Question about flucuations

Options
Hello,
So I have been loosing around a pound a week and weigh everyday. My weight usually stays within 1.5 pound range... However, 1-2 times per week my weigh will go up around 4-5 pounds. Those days, I usually lower my intake around 100-200 calories. Is that wrong of me to lower my calories when my weight fluctuates that much? Should I stick to my normal calorie amount on those days regardless?

Thank you.

Replies

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    SDK00000 wrote: »
    Hello,
    So I have been loosing around a pound a week and weigh everyday. My weight usually stays within 1.5 pound range... However, 1-2 times per week my weigh will go up around 4-5 pounds. Those days, I usually lower my intake around 100-200 calories. Is that wrong of me to lower my calories when my weight fluctuates that much? Should I stick to my normal calorie amount on those days regardless?

Thank you.

Short answer: Yep, stick to your calories.

Weight fluctuations are very normal, as I'm sure you've guessed by now. Most of that the way the digestive system takes time to digest the foods we eat, and the way the human body can retain water at various points.

If you want to smooth out the fluctuations, look at an app like Trendweight or Libra that will do the math for you.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    SDK00000 wrote: »
    Hello,

Thank you.

Short answer: Yep, stick to your calories.

Weight fluctuations are very normal, as I'm sure you've guessed by now. Most of that the way the digestive system takes time to digest the foods we eat, and the way the human body can retain water at various points.

If you want to smooth out the fluctuations, look at an app like Trendweight or Libra that will do the math for you.

^^exactly! No one weighs the exact same thing every day. Water weight, increased sodium, hormones, and yes, even stress can make you fluctuate.

Perhaps reassess your food intake when you notice a gain. Did you eat more sodium than normal? Did you drink less water? Did you significantly go over your calories?

Last week, I got on the scale and I was up like 2 pounds. As disgusted as I was to see the number go UP, I didn't let it really get to me. I noticed that not only had I eaten a lot of foods with high sodium content, it was getting close to my time of the month. I increased my water, worked out a tad more, and today, I was down 3.2(5.2 if you were to count the fluctuation, which I don't.)

Good luck!
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Here's a tip for weighing yourself to not go crazy from the fluctuations. A good technique is to weigh daily at the same time each day and record the result. At the end of the week, average the results. At the end of the month, compare the averages. There should be a downward trend (not necessarily a linear drop). If after 4 weeks or more you are consistently maintaining or gaining, consider reducing calories. This way, the fluctuations don't really matter because you are averaging. And comparing the averages is much more telling of actual progress then comparing day to day weigh ins.