How do you sneak in your veggies?

As I write this I feel a small sense of shame rushing over me; I don't like most veggies.
It's been that way my entire life. Not being forced to eat them, didn't help much either.
Over the years I've learned to like things like Spinach, Carrots, and Kale (in small portions).
Obviously that's only a very small portion of the veggie variety.
So, how do you veggie?
If you're like me, I end up putting a lot of my veggies in a blender and shooting it down the pipes.
What are your tips? Are you like me and dislike most veggies too? Let me know!

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    I pop a bag in the microwave- heat on high for 6 minutes.
    -
    add a little butter- S/P and eat.

So I guess it's less of a sneak and more of a shovel.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    edited February 2015
    No. I love ALL the veggies. Have you tried different ways of preparing them? Roasted root veggies are wonderful, so is roasted cauliflower and broccoli, with olive oil and garlic.

Smoothies are a good way to go to get them in.
    You could also dice things small and add them to your marinara, or your taco meat. Casseroles are a good way to sneak them in as well.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    I do like veggies and don't have a problem eating them, but smoothies are a good way to get them in if you're not a fan.

I put veg in things like spaghetti bolognaise too, or curry, or anything really so my kids get lots of veg too. Luckily they do eat veg anyway...a bit of bribery occasionally helps :)

Do you like fruit?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    rectally.

However, when I actually want to eat them and not sneak them, I cook them. Put them in a bowl, and eat them. Brussels sprouts, oil em a little, salt, pepper, roast in a hot oven. Done.
  • pandaahoy
    pandaahoy Posts: 13 Member

Do you like fruit?

I love fruit lol it's probably something I could eat all day every day. Literally almost any fruit.
    I think my problem with veggies is depending on the type, can taste very.. grass like, or even dirt like (after washing even). That, and if they aren't prepared right the texture KILLS me. And for most things, I've yet to find a way of preparation that works.

I mean with Kale, I make those into chips and that works. lol
  • kissa714
    kissa714 Posts: 65 Member
    try roasting different veggies with olive oil and salt/pepper and other seasonings. its really tasty!! and smoothies are also a good way to get veggies in.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    I love all the veggies. For my picky son, however, I chop or puree them in the blender. then add to pastas, soups, sauces, meatloaf, etc. It's not the taste that bothers him, it's the texture.
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    I like some, but not all veggies. If I feel like I havent had enough in a day, I will drink a V8. 2 or 3 servings of veggies in a can or bottle..
  • pandaahoy
    pandaahoy Posts: 13 Member
    yayamom3 wrote: »
    I love all the veggies. For my picky son, however, I chop or puree them in the blender. then add to pastas, soups, sauces, meatloaf, etc. It's not the taste that bothers him, it's the texture.

This is actually a pretty good idea. lol

• BBruhn
    BBruhn Posts: 15 Member
    I am not a fan of veggies either. I feel like the only human on the planet who will not eat salad. But I do love soup. I make vegetable soup almost every weekend. It's amazing the variety out there. Also, "hide" spinach in a morning smoothie with a banana and you won't even know it's there.
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    I drink a low sodium v8 everyday. On the weekends I'll grab the naked berry veggie. It's really good and sweet. I love vegetables though and eat two servings at lunch and dinner. The v8 and naked's help me get a bit more.
  • abuck_13
    abuck_13 Posts: 382 Member
    low sodium, spicy hot V8....love the taste, plus have to keep sodium low.....
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    I throw spinach into my shakes
  • roasted broccoli is addicting, I promise:

1 head of broccoli, break up the trees and place them on a baking sheet
    1 tbs olive oil/ ghee or coconut oil drizzled over broccoli
    1 tsp garlic powder and salt/pepper to taste sprinkled over broccoli
    bake at 400 until crispy ! ENJOY
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    roasted broccoli is addicting, I promise:

1 head of broccoli, break up the trees and place them on a baking sheet
    1 tbs olive oil/ ghee or coconut oil drizzled over broccoli
    1 tsp garlic powder and salt/pepper to taste sprinkled over broccoli
    bake at 400 until crispy ! ENJOY

I totally agree. I feel the same way about roasted cauliflower and roasted brussels sprouts.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I really like veggies, but part of that was learning to cook them properly and just eating them regularly. A couple of ideas, however:

Soups--even lots of people who don't love veggies tend to like them fine as part of a soup. You can also do a blended soup where the overall texture is smooth which might work for people who don't like textures and also mimics a cream coup without the cream.

Pasta--when I make a meat sauce I tend to add lots of veggies, usually cauliflower, zucchini and spinach (as well as onions and garlic) but the possibilities are endless. I think even someone not into veggies might enjoy them that way. This would also work with a chili.

Omelet--I make a veggie omelet with feta every morning, a common combo is spinach, mushrooms, broccoli, but it really depends on what's on hand. You might not mind them that way.

Stir fry/other types of pasta sauce--less subtle, but a common way for people not into veggies to start liking them, I believe, is to include them in smaller pieces as part of an overall meal. I chop up veggies and my meat cook them in olive oil for a pasta sauce or make them into a stir fry.

For preparation, I'm a huge fan of roasting most veggies, especially root veggies, Brussels sprouts, and broccoli/cauliflower.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    dbmata wrote: »
    rectally.

However, when I actually want to eat them and not sneak them, I cook them. Put them in a bowl, and eat them. Brussels sprouts, oil em a little, salt, pepper, roast in a hot oven. Done.

I sense a film coming on: dbmata - starring in "Veggie Mule."
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Why would I have to "sneak" veggies in? I love them!
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Veggies are delicious. I feel bad for those who don't like them :(
  • bencze1
    bencze1 Posts: 30 Member
    I cannot understand how can someone not like vegetables. So I am not of much help. I like them in a lot of different forms, mostly mixed with meat but not only. :)
  • tephanies1234
    tephanies1234 Posts: 299 Member
    edited February 2015
    Roast a lot of them like cauliflower, sweet potatoes, squash, etc. and put the other stuff like beets, spinach, kale, cabbage, etc. in the blender. And veggies like broccoli and carrots get fried in some butter until super soft and moist, with caramelized onion and a touch of salt and sugar.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Pureed zuchinni mixed 50/50 with applesauce is virtually undetectable. Its the only "sneak" my kids cant tell is there.
  • I teach my kids to take a small portion of something that they don't like and put it on the fork with something they do like. So if we have asparagus with mashed potatoes put a little veggie with the potato.
    I learned to love broccoli when I dated a guy who always loaded his pizza with it.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    If you like making Kale chips you might like other veggies roasted or baked also. Go to Pinterest.com and do some searches.

fd80bsku26gu.png

• sapphirewind
    sapphirewind Posts: 55 Member
    I agree with those that said smoothies. I juice everything. I know I am losing much of the fiber and good minerals, so I try and mix some of the resulting pulp into whole grain breads. I really don't like carrots, celery, beets, etc... but in juices they all go well with some apple, lemon and ginger. If I need some protein I add in the soft tofu.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Any concerns I might have about vegetables, are mostly revolving around texture and smell. Unexpected and unusual combinations as well; salads and sandwich toppings can be a nightmare. Taste is usually fine.

Tomato paste, passata and ketchup are fine - fresh, diced, dried are not.
    Fresh, dried and frozen peas and grean beans are fine - canned are not.
    Fresh corn, grilled is fine - canned or boiled is not.
    Mushrooms, fresh, maybe frozen - not canned.
    Peppers must be fresh, and heated - not frozen.

I love fresh raw vegetables, cut into sticks to munch on: Cucumber, carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, kohlrabi, romanesco, beets. Lettuce and spinach for salad. Cauliflower is great dipped in peanut butter, and carrots in butter! Boiled artichokes, leaves dipped in melted butter, struggling with the coarse hairs that cover the delicious heart - you must try it!

I use lots of different vegetables finely diced in chilis and pasta sauce: Onions, garlic, chili, celery, parsnips, squash, peppers. Canned brown/white/red/black beans for chili.

I make two kinds of soups - ordinary and creamed. Creamed only means that the ingredients are mashed into an emulsion of water, air and vegetable fibres with an immersion blender. My favorites are cauliflower, carrot (with coconut milk, lime and ginger), green pea, butternut squash, spinach, peppers/tomato, Minestrone.

Cheese on toast is made perfect with sliced pickled cucumbers and finely chopped onions inside.

And then there are the inbetweens, the starchy vegetables, potato and her sweet cousin. Can be boiled, baked, fried or mashed.
  • Lezavargas
    Lezavargas Posts: 223 Member
    I throw 4 cups of spinach in a blender and guzzle it once a day! Its my go to veggie guarantee!